Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

Error when loading demo (Has nothing to do with zdoom)

I'm stuck on an Eternal level. I'm sure that's happened to us all. Anyway, I'm trying to load ET28-NOM.LMP using doom95 (since I can't load it with Zdoom, since it's not a Zdoom demo). After the program starts, I can hear the first notes of the level's music, but then it shuts out, saying "The instruction at 004301ff referenced memory at 00066e69 The memory could not be read from" and cuts off after 'from'. Can aynone help with playing this demo?

BTW, I have tried it on all difficulty settings and with -nomonsters on and off. Also, I am loading the correct map, map28. Perhaps someone can point me to a walkthrough ...

You probably can play it with prboom (or boom if prboom doesn't work).
I don't recall which map is map28....

Map28 is Timeslip.

And yeah, as Opulent said, try PRBoom or GLBoom and it should work just fine (I just watched it and it worked fine under GLBoom).

GLBoom or PRBoom would be good choices for it. It may even play with eternity.

If neither will work you can always use the eternal shell to play it. IT should play perfectly with that.

Ok, thanks guys, it's working now ... still can't figure out why that door won't open after I hit that switch, tho ... I opened the level up and checked for errors, there's like 850 of 'em, many duplicate vertexes and overlapping lines. Might this have something to do with why a certain door won't open? Or maybe it's the fact I'm using zdoom for a wad that doesn't require any source ports to run? I've never had any problems before, though ...

These are ultra-complex maps made before the era of ports. At the time the basic task was to make them work with Doom2.exe. They may well include features that don't work with certain ports, especially those that are further away from the original exes. (Note that even Alien Vendetta has issues with ports; e.g. map07 doesn't work with Zdoom, and maps 24 and 25 don't work as intended with Legacy, although there are workarounds there.)

The original Eternal demo pack has some playback issues for sure. Some of them were converted 1.666 demos, and for instance I recall issues with map31 demos (I don't remember what the solution was there). But as people have said, recent versions of Prboom or Eternity will generally be your best bet. Note that Doom95 has some significant differences from Doom2.exe (esp. with lost souls), so you can expect desyncs every so often if you use it to watch Doom2.exe format demos.

Wow. I never seriously though source ports could have a negative effect on non-source port wads!

Heh, I'm up to map 20 myself. :-)
I stumbled upon Andy Olivera's excellent review of it and figured I'd try it out. I'm not disappointed... Map 31 was amazing.

And to add to the topic, I did notice some problems with map 3 in ZDooM 1.22 (tags to lower/raise floors/ceilings don't work right); other than that, only minor problems. Also, I've played almost all -nomonsters demos on PrBoom 2.2.4 -- no problems at all. Fantastic levels!

it probably has a lot to do with those 'errors'; they're probably not truly errors, but exploits to make the original game do things it really shouldn't. Most ports 'fix' a lot of stuff in the original .exe, which is usually good, but certainly has the potential to screw things up in complex situations.