Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Repost: Quake 4 using the Doom 3 engine

Is anyone else excited about Quake 4 being announced? This is a good time for id fans to be certain.

This announcement has made me wonder which will have superior graphics. Hmm, Doom 3 is defintely being released first, and the trend of things is usually games that use the engine of others that have already been released, they are improved a lot. (Ofcourse it is not always true, but it is most of the time). Either way, I'm looking forward to Doom 3 more than Quake 4, but still I love Quake and no doubt I will love Quake 4.

Long Live Id! (And ofcourse Raven)

This time, no one flame me, cuz I dont want this thread locked.

Well both games have great potential when it comes to graphics. DOOM's got an Alien "dark infested space station" look going (just check out the bathroom shot, if you haven't seen it yet), with lots of fucked up wiring, shiny metal, etc.

I really hope Raven do their best to make the Stroggos world look alive. I mean, Quake 2's intro movie really wettened my appetite but in-game the environment and enemies didn't have much character. If they can make the environment seem really alien (not to be confused with Half-Life's Xen, which was really fucking boring) and hostile I'll be happy.

Yeah, Q2's intro was fucking incredible. It really felt like a war.

The game lacked a little in terms of atmosphere, but oh well, we're talking old games. Today's trend seems to be atmosphere, judging by some of the yet-to-be-released FPSs.

Raven knows how to put great atmosphere in their games. They're doing that since Heretic. I'm pretty excited about a Quake with a different approach.

i hope quake4 will have great atmosphere too.quake2 lacks this element.and i wanna see Stroggos with good human-like AI too.RAVEN did good job in their games.hope them to make new HEXEN with this engine too.

I can't, because I'm to lazy, get it? I don't want to rush anything, I wait for the damn thing to start, that's all.

Personally, I'm worried about Quake 4. They seem to be going back to the whole "story-based" Q2 thing, exactly when Doom 3 is also going back to a "story-based" game, instead of Quake 1 and Quake 3's "arena-based" games. There's a danger that they (Raven) will simply have an inferior version of Doom 3 on their hands, I would suggest.

The main thing, I think, would be to forget about Quake 2, which had so-so visual design, a non-existant plot, and general sense of disconnection from character. Plus it was really easy, even on the hardest SP settings (I remember I finished it the weekend I got it, despite being out all night every night).

They should work to differentiate themselves from Doom 3 also. If Doom 3 has something, Quake 4 should not. If Doom 3 stars a bunch of haggard marines in bulky torso armour with shotguns, rocket launchers and machine guns, and so does Quake 4, we're going to get very bored very quickly.

Of course, we don't know much about Doom 3 still (god, I remember when I joined this forum a *while* ago, perhaps a year ago, I think, and I we don't know much more than we did then. Id is doing a superb job keeping a lid on things.), so we don't know exactly what they'll have to avoid, but I would suspect Doom 3 will be very personal and survival-oriented, counting every shell, staying alert, and sorta sneaking around. It will no doubt, be dark most of the time, and weapons will likely be projectile and explosive, not energy.

So maybe Quake 4 could look to a more "war"-type format, which would lend itself nicely to team-based multiplayer as well, with far more futuristic weaponry, brighter levels and colours, and so on. The single player mode could also include team-based sections, or team leadership, or whatever. Of course, the danger here is bumping into Unreal 2 and Unreal War, which also seem to be taking up that territory, and will likely come out first (certainly Unreal 2 will, I would have thought). Better graphics may not be enough to differentiate Quake 4 from them.

The real problem is that id has been making the same game, over and over, almost since Wolf3D, and certainly since Doom 1. This isn't an insult, and they have tried to branch out, but always found themselves coming back to "guy in bulky body armour with shotgun takes on cyber'd-up monsters/demons". Quake probably least fit that mold, and that was only due to the low-tech nature of your opponents. So Quake 2 was essentially a relative of Doom 1, and all this "game inbreeding" has created potential conflicts for the future. I await Quake 4 with interest, but I do worry that it will be either sub-Doom 3 or sub-Unreal 2...

This time, no one flame me, cuz I dont want this
thread locked.

YOU ARE F00BAR HAHAHAHAH SUCK SUCK FUCK FUCK DIMMU B_JO{UEN*()*(#N

/me humps this thread

/me than holds ANUS BAR CEO captive on the clownboat

/me than throws a meatbus at this thread

Some good points there, Eurhetemec. The First Person Shooter style of game fundamentally hasn't changed over the last decade - essentially what companies have been doing is throwing in more advanced technology, loads more media, and a few good new ideas. And clearly, we're about to hit a ceiling. In this post-Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament period, a lot of the big developers are getting back to the "single player experience" : RTCW, Duke4ever, DOOM, Max Payne, Quake 4, Unreal 2 are all examples of this.

The technology has progressed enormously over the last few years, mainly thanks to advances in graphics hardware and the efforts of people like John Carmack and Tim Sweeney. Now that developers start making games with the GeForce/Radeon level as a base line, a lot of limits to both programmers' ambition and designers' imagination have disappeared. The same with storage space: now that DVD players are getting common, game developers can cram gigabytes of media into their game.

Now that the classic boundaries are gone, the one big area for improvement remains : Gameplay. To quote Warren Spector, co-creator of the Ultima series, Deus Ex and a bunch of other classic :

"What I'd like to see in gaming, in general, regardless of camera position, genre or platform is more of a sense of player control and a greater effort to offer players real choices with significant consequences (that go beyond succeed/fail or live/die). It bugs me when developers insert themselves so heavily into a game that the player's choices become secondary. (And I'll be the first to admit I've fallen prey to the desire to put myself first at players' expense. The notion that you're the author of an experience enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people is pretty damn seductive...)

But, ultimately, we have to accept players as our true collaborators, find ways to construct worlds and situations in which they can express themselves rather than guessing what we wanted them to do as we expressed OURselves. We have to offer richer alternatives than shoot/don't shoot. We have to craft experiences where there are no right choices and wrong choices (encouraging save/load/save/load cycles that completely undercut any notion of true interactivity and turning games into mere guessing games). We have SO much still to learn, let alone do, as developers."

I need a drink.

Someone needs to make an awesome medival-style FPS. Preferably deathmatch-based, with swords and bows, none of that pussy heretic-sorcerer bullshit.

That doesn't work well in a FPS, control problems. Daggerfall's approach is good, but it lacks special moves.

Someone needs to make an awesome medival-style FPS. Preferably deathmatch-based, with swords and bows, none of that pussy heretic-sorcerer bullshit.

Personally I would enjoy a new shooter in the spirit of Heretic I (not Heretic II), with 1 or 2 melee weapons, medieval weapons and magical enhanced weapons, like
-Sword
-Battle axe (should be effective like the melees in Kiss Psycho Circus)
-Crossbow with various ammo: bolts, darts, burning arrows, etc.
-a medieval sort of grenade launcher with various grenade: explosive, poison, psychodelic fog etc.
-a Leonardo da Vinci style mechanical weapon (something crazy) :D
-a magic freeze crystal weapon (sounds stupid? well something like Duke´s freeze gun, but with a magic feel)
-the hell staff from Heretic I

That doesn't work well in a FPS, control problems. Daggerfall's approach is good, but it lacks special moves.

Daggerfall had the right idea, and with luck, Morrowind will perfect the control to the point of where it will play like an FPS, instead like Daggerfall which had poor control IMPO.

A melee centered FPS, is different but I'm fairly positive that it could be done well soon, just look at Theif

Ever play WitchHaven? That was a medieval fps, I thought it was terrible, but it was still an fps. It didn't have magic staffs and such either, although you could bless your weapons in fountains and they would become magical and very powerful. The part that I really hated though was that weapons could break, which sucks when you get a halberd (probably the best weapon in the game) and it breaks after 5 minutes. Plus the terrible game play didn't help it much. Another factor that kept me from enjoying it was that it doesn't work out of dos really at all, it barely works in win 95, and any later version of windows and you can pretty much forget about it. Just thought I'd throw this in. As for the actual subject of the post, personally I'd like to see a more Quake 1 type game, mainly because I love Quake 1, it's second only to DooM for me. I personally haven't really cared for any ID game since then, but I'm hoping that DooM 3 will turn that around. However Raven is a good company, and they've made some kick ass games, so I trust them to make at least a decent game, although I'm sure it won't be as good as DooM 3. Either way Quake VI is almost certainly going to be better than Unreal 2, mainly cuz it's Quake. Well, this is getting long winded, so I'm going to shut up and go to bed.

Yeah, I remember the Halberd. Good to take down those shitty big giant heads...

I would love to see a melee based FPS, hell, I'm waiting for one since what? Hexen II?

HEXEN III would be nice...
RAVEN, plz make it.(of course, with doom3 engine not Q3A)
anyway, i never try the heretic2,i don't like the fact that i have to play this game in 3rd person view.or should i make a try?

Most people are scared of 3rd perspective. I love it. The game is great. It doesn't feel at all like Heretic, it's a whole new experience.

If you can handle that camera (wich some people bitch about altough I never found any troubles with it) then it's a great game.

Heretic 2 is a great game. I have no Idea why the 3rd person perspective is so unpopular, I mean, when it's done right it's really COOL. Examples include Heretic 2, Alice and Max Payne, there are plenty more but they're the only ones I can remember ATM, another cool thing about 3rd person games is you can implement awesome moves that just don't work in 1st person. Like Rolling, Diving and such. Don't forget Quake 3 & Half Life have 3rd person modes and so should some new FPSes.

Is this Doomworld? Oh Ok. Cause I know planetquake has a big Quake 4 forum you should go to. After all, this is CLASSIC GAMING Doom, not Quake.

Is this Doomworld? Oh Ok. Cause I know planetquake has a big Quake 4 forum you should go to. After all, this is CLASSIC GAMING Doom, not Quake.

Classic gaming Doom, eh? I could have sworn this forum if for talking about the upcoming Doom 3. I must have missed the announcement stating that unreleased games were classics... have to check my mail more often.

That said, you do realize that a game is more than it's graphics and the way it plays... a lot of people here are interrested in Doom 3's engine (not surprisingly), and talk about it's future use is not off-topic in any way.

And don't get pissy because Doomworld is geared to the Doom community. God forbid that anyone here should act like a community of people and break from talking about all Doom all the time. If you don't like the way the new Doom is headed, then don't come into a forum for it and start whining. It's not like we could do anything if we wanted, and most of us like the idea of the greater depth and complexity that Doom 3 promises to have.

As to your post about the "obscene" price of a system required to play Doom 3, I can only say that you can't base a system price needed for a game that most likely won't be released for another year or so on the current system prices. By the time Doom 3 comes out, the hardware needed to run it won't cost all that much... even I will be able to afford it, and that says a lot.