Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sssitinith

VGA vs. DVI

I'm gonna guess this is the right forum but I'm not sure... anyway

I've been going around asking the various tech forums about the differences between vga image quality and dvi. I'm doing this because a freind recently bought a new LCD monitor and since then has told me that dvi is like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> compared to vga. I myself have a pretty nice 19" 1280x1024 20ms @75hz monitor and a 9800 pro oc'd to XT and I was wondering what the image quality would be. So I started asking around cause I'm not a whiney little rich boy like he is and I don't want to spend upwards of $40 like he did just for a cable, so.. does it really make a difference? So far my responses have ranged from "OMG YES DVI IS SSSOOO MUCH BETTER" to "I really can't tell the difference and I wish I didn't spend the money on it."

I think it depends on a few factors, namely the brand of monitor your using (my monitor back home absolutely rocks and it's VGA), the applications you're using it for, the kind of monitor you're using, and your personal preference. I'm not exactly sure how each of those play out, however.

#1 Thanks for the move, I wasn't sure were to post this

#2. I'm using this for gaming mostly... Doom 3, jDoom, CS source all that. (Yes I know LCDs are bad for that)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=320-4113&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=211&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

Thats the screen I have.

Also if anyone knows if this will help image tearing out, please tell me. I've been getting some really bad image tears that take around half a second to roll down the screen, and it's getting annoying.

Sssitinith said:

#2. I'm using this for gaming mostly... Doom 3, jDoom, CS source all that. (Yes I know LCDs are bad for that)

What?

LCD displays are fine for gaming as long as the response time is low. 16 milliseconds should be fine. As for image tearing, have you tried enabling vertical synchronization (vsync)? I dont know if that works for LCDs, but it's the normal solution for image tearing on a CRT.

DVI is far superior for LCD's since they are digital devices. If you use the normal analog VGA port, you're converting the signal twice (digital->analog on the graphics card and then analog->digital in the LCD). Any such conversion is bound to introduce error.

I think you will be able to tell the difference. $40 seems very steep, though. Spending extra money on a fancy DVI cable is fairly useless... I mean, as long as all the 1's and 0's get from A to B with no noise, there's no difference between a generic cable and those luridly overpriced Monster cables.

insertwackynamehere said:

Use a DVI cable if you have LCD. It should cost only $20, I dont who the hell is trying to pass one off for $40

we do, but try $49.
if you have a DVI monitor and DVI card use DVI. however buy the standard cables.
i think HDTV's and computers can use the same cable.

I've got both plugged into my LCD from two different computers, and the VGA input can be terrible. But I think it also depends on what kind of card is feeding the VGA. From my dos box, it looks like bad TV reception, but on another computer its more or less fine. So if you look at your screen and the picture seems fine, dont bother spending 40 dollars.

I do wonder why your monitor came without a DVI cable though, that seems helluva cheap on the manufacturers part.

Amaster said:

LCD displays are fine for gaming as long as the response time is low. 16 milliseconds should be fine. As for image tearing, have you tried enabling vertical synchronization (vsync)? I dont know if that works for LCDs, but it's the normal solution for image tearing on a CRT.

Vsync just KILLS my fps, and it creates more noise then it gets rid of tear-wise.

The cable I'm looking at is from best-buy... only place around here that sells comp. parts. I found one on-line for 14 though, I think I'll get that one.

Thanks for the help