Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sargebaldy

Atlantis?

Atlantis was supposed to be a sunken continent, not just some sunken city.

I doubt Atlantis ever existed. In all likelyhood, Plato thought it up to descibe a theoretical perfect society, like Thomas Moore thought up Utopia...

i agree with above however he could have used a real city as the base. a city destroyed by a natural disaster and just used it as a back drop or lesson for the story. just like a modern writer might have a fictional story useing a real city.

problem is that there is alot of geoloigical activity there so cities have been lost before.

however it would be cool if it were real and was found.

I thought it was a city... hence the title "The Lost City of Atlantis."

I think I read once that it was thought to be a continent. But then again, no one really knows :-/ It could be either.

The guy who "found" Atlantis is from LA, why should we believe him?

This is all a conspiracy created by the Bush administration anyway.

Gokuma said:

Hey, a while back it was thought that Troy was a myth.

But Atlantis is supposed to be a continent and undersea there is no sunken continent (just look at an underwater map).

No one ever said Atlantis was a continent. It was a "large island" at most. The "lost continent" thing was probably made up by American filmmakers.

this one guy once, while flying his plane over the atlantic near bermuda, saw in the sea what looked like streets and walls.

which then raises even more theories: could the whole Bermuda triangle mystery that swallows up planes and ships could have swallowed up Atlantis too?

theres this other theory that Atlantis, it being a continent in the sea, drifted north and collided with the north pole or some place, and that the city may be under ice.

ahhh who the hell knows.

I always figured it was a Minoan city. There was an island near Crete (I think it was caled Thera), which was basicaly a huge volcano. One day it exploded just like Krakatoa, and the tidal waves most likely wiped out all the cities on the north side of Crete, which effectively ended the Minoan civilization.

The Minoans were a strange bunch. Their language is unlike anything else and hasn't been deciphered yet. They had a strange religion and were probably the most advanced people of their day.

No one ever said Atlantis was a continent. It was a "large island" at most. The "lost continent" thing was probably made up by American filmmakers.

Well Plato said it was a continent.

Plato made up Atlantis for the purpose of his story and the philosophical messages and issues he wanted to communicate through it. Is that really so hard to accept?

Atlantis isn't any more real than Middle Earth, Narnia, or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Kristian Ronge said:

Willy Wonka's chocolate factory

Oh really? Then explain how I got this here Wonka bar, and where the Nerds candy I've been eating comes from!

Kristian Ronge said:

Atlantis isn't any more real than Middle Earth, Narnia, or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Er. you realise that MIDDLE Earth is very much real as that's the place where you and all of us live. Valhalla, Aasgaard and Outgaard on the other hand is not quite as real. (btw Middle earth is really named Midgård/Midgaard)

sargebaldy said:
An American researcher says he's discovered Atlantis, and says "60-70 points that are a perfect match with Plato's detailed description of the general layout of the acropolis hill of Atlantis".

Make sense... most ancient writing is like hearsay based on other writings or on oral lore, which generally has some basis on past events.

Kristian Ronge said:
Plato made up Atlantis for the purpose of his story and the philosophical messages and issues he wanted to communicate through it. Is that really so hard to accept?

Our words are distorted echoes. Plus you're talking about the tales of a different age.

kristus said:

Er. you realise that MIDDLE Earth is very much real as that's the place where you and all of us live.

Middle as in between heaven and hell, right?

Oh, and Numenor in my pants.

Kristian Ronge said:

Plato, they say,
Could stick it away,
Half a crate of Whisky every day!

Aristotle,
Aristotle,
Was a bugger for the bottle,

Hobbes was found of his dram!
And Renes Descartes,
Was a drunken fart,
I drink therefore I am!

Yes Socrates himself is particularily missed.

I luv a 'lil thinker 'bout a bugger when he's pissed!

darknation said:

Oh, and Numenor in my pants.

Well. if you examine it so do hell exist. if you mean that it's a warm as hell place below the surface of earth. and Heaven do exist aswell. since you look at it everyday. It's really just a matter of how you look at it.. The point I was making though is that Middle earth is real as it's an anchient name for Earth. Or the world we live in. The fact that Aasgaard (where the gods live) and Outgaard (were the trolls and giants live) is pure imagination of a lost civilisation is of little importance. Just because they don't exist doesn't mean "the world of man" doesn't.

Greeks seemed to depict Hades as a cold dark land; the Romans seemed to see it as hot... maybe relating it to volcanic activity.

The thing to consider here is whether Atlantis is based on the fact that once some relatively important city was swallowed by the sea, as opposed to, let's say, the mere fear of cities or lands being overrun by it. The reference will be vague anyway.

Like this page says:
The end of the Minoan civilization was probably caused by natural disasters. The earthquake that sunk half of Santorini in 1450BC seems to have destroyed most of the buildings on Crete as well.

Atalantë = Númenor.

myk said:

Greeks seemed to depict Hades as a cold dark land; the Romans seemed to see it as hot... maybe relating it to volcanic activity.

The thing to consider here is whether Atlantis is based on the fact that once some relatively important city was swallowed by the sea, as opposed to, let's say, the mere fear of cities or lands being overrun by it. The reference will be vague anyway.Atalantë = Númenor.

Dont forget Pompeii. Seems like they were used to horrible natural distastors destroying cities O_o

darknation said:

Middle as in between Muspelheim and Nifelheim. Or maybe it was between Asgard and the bottom of Yggdrasil. I can't remember.