cycloid

No Imp Left Behind uvmax

no imp left behind

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12925

from newstuff 205

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29072

demo emailed to opulent

uvmax, 3:13

just fancied a break from the megawad i'm working on, had some curious compatibility issues with prboom 224 so resorted to mbf. except i hadnt managed to get the sound working yet so i'm a little lost and confused in places here. the start is very scruffy and i lose a Spectre. should be able to get this under 3 mins now that i've sorted the sound out (sound being vitally important to dodging revenant rockets!)

Nice to see you recording again.

As for those compatibility issues, I discovered recently that the 2.2.4 documentation gave false information about the complevels (cph confirmed this). -complevel 5 is the one for full Boom compatibility. That might account for your problems. (And -complevel 7 is for MBF, but you need to edit the demo in order to get it to play back >:( .)

BTW, you might want to try 2.2.6 or Budko's 2.2.6, though I've had a few crashes with that, and so have reverted to 2.2.4.

While I was waiting for Op to upload this one, I checked out the map and seeing the berserks I recorded a quick muckabout : UV Tyson in 6:21. First exit, some poor punching, etc. Boom-format demo.

Grazza said:

BTW, you might want to try 2.2.6 or Budko's 2.2.6, though I've had a few crashes with that, and so have reverted to 2.2.4.

At viewing or at recording? I have not any crashes during recording of the first episode of the eternal megawad

I haven't found anything 100% reproduceable, but I tend to hit problems (both playing and playback, but perhaps most often when recording) if I turn smooth movement off, or if I turn vertical sync on.

I've currently got glboom 2.2.6 as my default exe, with smooth movement, 60 fps and vertical sync on (i.e. the same settings as in the default cfg you supplied with the program), and will let you know if I have any problems.

BTW, in 2.2.6, "smart totals" doesn't seem to work any more - all it does is remove the alive monsters counter (a new feature in the official 2.2.6).

yeah i'd originally tried to run it on complevel 3 but the conveyor script didnt work, so tried 5 (mbf comptibility according to the readme that i've got) and that desynced around the time of the conveyor script (it lowers the yellow key and releases some monsters) a quick run around on mbf showed that that worrked so i used that instead. got sound working now in mbf, but only in mono. better than nothing i suppose. even with a complete new system (got a p4 instead of an athlon now, feels so dirty!) i cant run prboom 202 without getting "segmentation violation" crashes. hmz. dont think i can be bothererd editing headers. might have a go with 226, ooh choices choices! or i could ressurect the old amd k6 box and stick dos 6 on it. heh

p.s. sorry if my typing is off i;ve got a plaster on one of my fingers!

Weird, that conveyor stuff worked fine for me with -complevel 5.

BTW, are you using the original DOS version MBF? (I assume you are, since you didn't call it winmbf.) You might be aware of this, but Team Eternal released a Windows port of MBF recently. The sound system is based around Eternity's, so if you like MBF and find Eternity works well on your system, it might suit you well.

You can get it here.

You also mentioned that you were playing at 320x200. You can get 640x400 via "high resolution" in the "Options - General" menu.

Sorry to hear about the finger. I can sympathize: a while ago I needed to sign some important documents just after I'd taken a big lump of skin off my right index finger by confusing my bedside lamp with my alarm clock.

yeah downloaded winmbf last night but didnt get around to trying it yet, the discalimer kinda suggests demo recording might not be worth the effort, and boy oh boy do i hate desyncs on perfectly good exits (remember bndaly8? seriously tempted to revisit that actually). 640 by 480 would probably do me anyway though.

as for the conveyor it might have been a coencidence with the desync.

hurt my finger ripping out the network cables at home, i'm redoing it housing all the phone and networking in the cupboard in the office, instead of having the switch under a floorboard on the landing! (having to pull up the carpet to check a link light occasionally was clearly not part of my original plan!). incidentally i also discovered a loose live wire while doing it all, nice. good job i've had so many electric shocks over the years that i've built up a tolerance to 240v!

anyway, thanks for the "nice to see you recording again" comment, i'd like to do some more of my trademark down-n-dirty uvmax recordings, been struggling in the past month or two to keep up with /newstuff so got a few maps yet to try out. having a dry spell in my megawad project up to map 8 and out of ideas. bummer! so far the previous level's inspiration's have come from what demo tricks and monster traps i'd like to indlude in them, so recording some more maps and watching some more demos might give me some new ideas!

cycloid said:

... boy oh boy do i hate desyncs on perfectly good exits (remember bndaly8? seriously tempted to revisit that actually).

2.2.6 might fix the issue that was causing the desyncs there (it seemed to be crusher/teleport-related).

Cycloid, Nice map choice and a great run in there!

Grazza you might have thought your run was lame but I thought it was some pretty gutsy playing as well.

Enjoyed them both! Nice job guys!

The "lame" just referred to the decision to pull out the pistol on a baron who just needed one more tap with the fists to go down; overall I don't think it's too bad for a Tyson first exit.

I waste a lot of time with the second baron generally. If I tried to improve the run, I'd nip through the gate and go toe-to-toe with him after killing the first baron.

Talking of Tyson and Bndaly8, I really must return to that one at some point myself...

Grazza said:

BTW, in 2.2.6, "smart totals" doesn't seem to work any more - all it does is remove the alive monsters counter (a new feature in the official 2.2.6).

"alive monster counter" does not work correctly.
Start original glboom on first level and type idclev02idclev03idclev01 and look on "alive monster counter"
Also I think that mine statusbar is more informative than original

Grazza it would be great to see more on blndaly8, although I think it would be tough to improve what you have already done. Cycloid mentioned he may revisit it as well.

Its funny, that map I thought was one of my worst looking, and it is, but has turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun to play. I have another dozen or so of similar quality on the harddrive that I thought would never see the light of day. Hmm?....

Searcher said:

Grazza it would be great to see more on blndaly8, although I think it would be tough to improve what you have already done.

You may recall that I made a Tyson attempt where I was killed by the last monster. What I had in mind was one where I actually killed that last monster instead. :)

I agree with Schneelocke: if these maps are complete, then it makes sense to release them. It's never easy to anticipate how others will view your work, and (in any sphere) it's easy to become too critical of one's own creations as one becomes more experienced.

I think bndaly8 also got relatively more attention than some of your other maps because it had the good fortune to appear in a week when there were few other good SP maps released.

Maybe I'll take time to review those other maps after CC2 hits. I still play them and enjoy them but they are pretty ugly.
But maybe a few of them can be released.

You may see a bunch of new/old ones hit in a few weeks.

I do remember that tyson run. I really didn'tt think it was do-able in tyson because of my own puny skills but you can likely do it.

boy oh boy. tried continually apart from sleeping and working for the past two days and managed a 2:11 a 2:10 a 2:09 , finally managed a 2:08 , then a 2:05 .... eventually, after my fingertips had started to bleed and after getting tennis-elbow in all my knuckles i have emailed to opulent.... a 1:59

and what's really annoying is that it doesnt even LOOK fast. a revenant totally fails to teleport in, forcing me to go back for it later, and an imp shows up about an hour late and i have to find the bugger. that must be at least 4 seconds right there!

the problem with speeding it up is that i luck in in quite a few places, the yellow key knight kills the other monsters for me, the first baron dies in mere seconds, the other knight cleans up a good few imps etc.

bah, i say, bah!

i commit this demo to the ether. beat it if you can! my work here is done, on to the next one...

edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/tkbk0159.zip