Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Half-Life 2 OUT!!!

i wish i knew how to redeem my ATI deal for HL2. it says i can do it through steam. however each site gives me a differnt way of doing it. steam says to first put in my credit card info, however chances are they will end up charging me for the game anyways if i do that.

heh, it worked finaly. its downloading now. fairly easy, i was impressed. only 60 minutes until i can play da game.

so far the game seems like bullshit. I mean it took a long time to download, which isnt bad cause i knew it would. however the SOB doesn't even load up! apperantly there is more BS i need to download. so its stays stuck in the loading part. anyways how is loading times for this game?
in the mean time i will play go fish with a mouse.

Fredrik said:

Calm down FlatHead, all this negativity just because someone stated an opinion?

Sorry. I must be having my period or something.

I bought HL2 today and I've been playing it for an hour or two... just got past the stretched-out-way-too-long speed boat part. It's pretty impressive so far =)

Lord FlatHead said:

Sorry. I must be having my period or something.

You make a good point about not judging a game before someone has had a chance of playing it though. I will admit my judgements are premature. I dunno, I've noticed I'm not as interested in newer games as of late like I used to be. I still want to buy Half-Life 2, but I was really surprised at how little excitement I felt for it.

Snarboo said:

You make a good point about not judging a game before someone has had a chance of playing it though. I will admit my judgements are premature.

Well you can't go out and buy every other game. You have to "judge" them before playing.

I don't really think Half-Life 2 is revolutionary, so much as it simply perfects the art of the first-person-shooter. It's just so darned fun to play. Frankly, I don't see the need for a revolutionary game, just a really good one. That's just the way I look at it. I mean, take Doom 3, for example. I went into that not hoping for anything revolutionary at all, rather I wanted Doom 3 to play like Doom played the first time I played it, and it did so, marvelously I might add.

Sephiroth said:

i wish i knew how to redeem my ATI deal for HL2. it says i can do it through steam. however each site gives me a differnt way of doing it. steam says to first put in my credit card info, however chances are they will end up charging me for the game anyways if i do that.

http://www.atihl2offer.com/
you might check this out.

geekmarine said:

I don't really think Half-Life 2 is revolutionary, so much as it simply perfects the art of the first-person-shooter. It's just so darned fun to play. Frankly, I don't see the need for a revolutionary game, just a really good one. That's just the way I look at it. I mean, take Doom 3, for example. I went into that not hoping for anything revolutionary at all, rather I wanted Doom 3 to play like Doom played the first time I played it, and it did so, marvelously I might add.

Well said. I think that's what ruined Doom3 for me. I bought into the hype. In the end all that matters is, is that a game is fun to play. I would assume as that, since we are here at doomworld, the majority of us still play the original dooms...not per-pixel shadrerific or bump mappingtastic...but dammed fun to play and fairly easy to edit/map.

and that's that

I've been playing for a few days now and I'm extremely impressed. I haven't had this much fun playing a first person shooter in ages. I can't remember the last time, actually. I was a bit dubious of HL2 before I started playing, I'm not a big fan of Valve and I thought the graphics looked a bit outdated. But I'm really enjoying myself. There've been many points in the game that've made me go "wow, cool!". While I don't think it reinvents the genre like Half Life did, it's an excellent game and future FPS developers should take a few leafs out of Valve's book.

Now, HL2 with Doom 3's lighting... mmmmmmmm...

Bought it a few hours ago and I'm at the place with the first flying-cutting robots. It's pretty impressive so far and I'm really enjoying it. The only that kinda ruins the atmosphere is the 15/30 secs loading time between 'stages'. Still, it's pretty fun.

yea i got it to work.
i couldn't download becuase it was busy and then when i was finaly able to download it took me about 6 hours. however my brother playing halo2 online didn't help any.

a very impressive game and it runs very well on my system. I am at the part with the car, actually i am a bit past that. the boat was awsome, but both of them can be a bit hard to control.

the only thing that kinda bothers me is the fact i have no idea what is going on. i mean the story is almost completly different. i am sure it will come into play later. so far its as if they took people from HL and put them in an entirly new game with a new story.

is it wortht he hype? i dont know. i wasn't really hyped up about it. i was more hyped about doom3.

Sephiroth said:

the only thing that kinda bothers me is the fact i have no idea what is going on. i mean the story is almost completly different. i am sure it will come into play later.

***SPOILER***

NOTHING get explained, sorry.

Despite what I've said on in the past, Im actually considering buying it. So... is it worth putting down fifty hard-earned dollars for it? is the whole authentication thing a real hassle?

Unfortunately I lost my ATI serial thing a long time ago. So no freebie.

Amaster said:

Despite what I've said on in the past, Im actually considering buying it. So... is it worth putting down fifty hard-earned dollars for it? is the whole authentication thing a real hassle?

You do get a lot of value for your money, especially if you're planning on playing CS: Source at all.

I carefully went through the installation process and the only problem I had was I had to wait ten minutes or so for the authentication servers to accept me, but that problem should get cleared up soon. If you do what it says on the box, have the slightest bit of patience and no meteors crash into the Valve servers or anything, it should go without a hitch.

It's a good game, sure, but very nitpickable. Briefly (and less has been needed to make a negative review before):

• Low ammo limit. Means that if you find rockets on the ground in abundance at all then there's a gunship or strider battle in the near future.
  • Contrived boss encounters. See above.
  • Nauseating vehicles. Low FOV value while driving, near-impossible controls, etc. I've lined up for a jump with a distance of less than 5 meters and still managed to veer off course.
  • Stunts. WTF.
  • Contrived physics puzzles. See above. There's only a handful of good physics puzzles in the game, the others are all retreads or variations of "build this ramp". Rolling the Overwatch field generator APC off the cliff brings a tear to my eye, though.
  • Shoddy texture work. Bumpmaps do nothing to dispel the appearance of complete flatness. THE SAME CONCRETE TEXTURE/MODEL IS USED WHENEVER THERE'S A HOLE IN THE GROUND, without consideration of texture alignment or appropriateness, so it never matches. (HELLO LINOLEUM TILED FLOOR I'M SPEAKING TO YOU)
  • Citadel. WTF.
  • And as Ling puts it, the ending has you doing the dumbest thing you'd ever do in a FPS. Strategically, it's completely nuts.
  • This and this. Floating outcroppings of rock? Did antlions do that?
I'd add a list of what impressed me and all the really fun shit, but I'd have to do some sort of spoiler tag and I'm not going to bother right now.

Arioch said:

It's a good game, sure, but very nitpickable. Briefly (and less has been needed to make a negative review before):[list]

• Low ammo limit.

• ***possible spoilers?***

low weapon count too. Where the fuck did they all go? No gauss or the black machine gun. Most are fairly useless anyway aside from the shotgun and ironicly, the pistol. Not counting the gravity gun obviously. Heh, I actually found myself NOT using it as much as I though...because I'm so used to running and gunning.

What I want to see is a summon command get found to get the supar grav gun right away in the game...That would own

Quast said:

Where the fuck did they all go? No gauss or the black machine gun.

They took out the OICW and the Gauss Gun? That's a bummer. :( I didn't use the Gauss gun all that often in the original HL, but being able to shoot through walls is infinitely cool. Maybe the OICW was removed because they didn't want the game to have too many automatic weapons? It sure looked cool, though. Hmm, maybe the weapons are still in the game, you just have to cheat?

Question, but does the Gravity Gun basically replace the Egon from the original game? I know they kind of look similar and are both experimental, but they don't function quite the same.

Snarboo said:

maybe the weapons are still in the game, you just have to cheat?

Question, but does the Gravity Gun basically replace the Egon from the original game? I know they kind of look similar and are both experimental, but they don't function quite the same.

impulse 101 works the same as always...no go, they aren't in. The gauss in on the dune buggy, but you can't carry it.

The gravity gun isn't "experimental".
    You aquire it in a junkyard. When you get it the chick says they just use it to haul trash around or something. Oh yeah, no egon gun either. Though I wasn't expecting it anyway.

THere were two machine guns in Half-Life? *brow furrowing* Hmm...you know, it's been a few years since I last played Half-Life single player.

Holy crap, Im so glad I bought this game.

Is anyone else have weird issues with surround sound (5.1)?

I'm curious to see peoples opinion of the game in a few weeks. When Doom3 came out everyone loved it too, but look at it now...

Another game for the fantasy-whimsical wish list. It's getting annoyingly long.

Lord FlatHead said:

Well how fucking could you, all your negativity is based on things you heard. Shut up, play the game, then come back and rip it up all you like.

If humans didn't base some of their opinions on what they heard from others, things would be pretty damn fucked up... oh wait, they are.

/Me starts up San andreas for the 20th time this week

Huh, you say something?

Additional: To all the people who where "Doom 3 rulez" and "HL 2 rulez" who flamed the people who said "You'll buy both anyway and you know it" and who know own both: TOLD YOU SO!

deathbringer said:

/Me starts up San andreas for the 20th time this week

Huh, you say something?

Additional: To all the people who where "Doom 3 rulez" and "HL 2 rulez" who flamed the people who said "You'll buy both anyway and you know it" and who know own both: TOLD YOU SO!

HL 2 rulez
    Doom 3 sucks