Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

About what I think is the iconic doom monster

The Baron of Hell is the quintessential doom monster. Regal, enragèd, and trumpeting an "I'm the king of this place" roar whenever some fool hearted marine intrudes on this guardian of hell.

But it's in dying, not in tearing limb from limb that clinches the Baron as the mascot monster of Doom. It has the best death sequence overall of any monster. It dies with such defiant disbelief. It not only has the best graphics - (gotta love those intestines and stuff oozing out of his torso) it also has the eeriest sound, like it can't quite believe or understand how it really has been defeated and will no longer get to spread its hell hate and pain wherever it may roam.

Thanks for link. The cacodemon didn't even register in my mind as a contender, but it was high on the list in that thread. I think the imp comes after Baron, then demon, then cyberdemon, then cacodemon....

The caco will always be the quintessential Doom monster in my opinion - because who could forget a giant inflatable pumpkin that shoots fireballs?

Oh, and there's also the "Squishy the Drunken Caco" column over at Gamespy's PlanetDoom (which is actually quite funny some times).

When I think of doom, I think of good old Pinkie. To me, he is doom. Him and the cacodemon of course. When I was young, I had a friend...always called them cankerdemons. He's probably dead or in jail by now.

I would say the imp.

It is the most commonly used monster and it has a really characteristic and simple look that can easily be remembered (and it's sexy too).

Certain levels remind me of certain monsters. Map 23 reminds me of the mancubus. Map 9 reminds me of the Pain Elemental. E1M1 - shotgun zombie d00d. etc

EarthQuake said:

You can't sum up Doom in one monster. You just can't. One would mean nothing without the others.

That's my opinion, too. If I picked the Caco, what about the Baron and the Cyb? If I picked the Cyb, what about the Baron?...you get, what I mean.

As for Doom2, though, I'd pick the Arch Vile. :-)

Hellbent said:

The Baron of Hell is the quintessential doom monster. Regal, enragèd, and trumpeting an "I'm the king of this place" roar whenever some fool hearted marine intrudes on this guardian of hell.

But it's in dying, not in tearing limb from limb that clinches the Baron as the mascot monster of Doom. It has the best death sequence overall of any monster. It dies with such defiant disbelief. It not only has the best graphics - (gotta love those intestines and stuff oozing out of his torso) it also has the eeriest sound, like it can't quite believe or understand how it really has been defeated and will no longer get to spread its hell hate and pain wherever it may roam.

Lay off the cocaine.

It's very bad for you, I hear.

In my opinion the Mancubus has the nicest death sequence and sound. And he's more fun to dodge shots from, then the other monsters.

Hellbent said:

...it also has the eeriest sound, like it can't quite believe or understand how it really has been defeated and will no longer get to spread its hell hate and pain wherever it may roam.

(sob) Now I feel sorry for the poor Baron of Hell...

LOL! Although I do agree it is one of the best representing monsters, but personally I find the death rather disappointing. I mean, when you blow him open with an SSG or something he just sort of... oozes. Doesn't feel very powerful.

When I think doom, I think of more than just imps. I think of the maps, most notably E1M1, killing stuff, having fun, and the "good old days" back when I first played it on my p100. Its more than just monsters ;)

But as far as monsters go, probaly the imp.

Looks like it's turning into another best death thread. But really, when I think of doom the first enemy that pops into my head is the pinky demon. Probably because he was the first monster that really scared the crap out of me. When I saw him bite a shotgun guy and gib him, I just thought "Holy crap I don't wanna fight him!" He's just big, dumb, fast, and has a hell of a bite. He's doom.

Better watch out, better be armed,
Better be healthy because the cyberdemon is coming, tonight!

I think the doom guy is the symbol, you see it all the time when you play. the monster that makes doom2 stand out from doom is the arachnotron

Tough question! There are a lot of iconic ones!

I would have to go with:

1. Cacodemon
2. Imp
3. Pinky or Baron Hell
4. Cyberdemon

The Cyberdemon,Imp and Cacodemon

doom2day said:

What is your obseesion with Cyberdemons.

doom2day said:

I think the doom guy is the symbol, you see it all the time when you play. the monster that makes doom2 stand out from doom is the arachnotron

You just ruined Christmas.

Cyberdemon.

I have my original copy of the SNES Doom instruction manual here with me ...

My 'defining' monsters plus their description:

Imp: You thought an imp was a cute little dude in a red suit with a pitchfork. Think again. This imp heavs balls of fire down your throat and takes several bullets to die. It's time to find a better weapon than a pistol, if you're going to face more than one of these mutants.

Demon: Sorta like shaved gorillas, except with horns, big heads, and lots of teeth. They don't kill easy. Get too close and they'll rip your sorry head off.

Cacodemon: They float in the air, belch ball-lightning, and have one horrendously big mouth. If you get too close to one of these monstrosities, you're toast.

Baron of Hell: Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big, these goliaths are the worst thing on two legs since Tyrannosaurus Rex.

And in the back it has an ad for Mortal Kombat 3, October 13th 1995.