Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

The greatest Doom status bar ever!

Just a random curiosity which popped up in my head... which Doom (2) add-on has the one status bar to rule them all?

My personal favourite is probably the one in Obituary (ObTiC), but the ones in Alien Vendetta and Eternal Doom are extremely nice as well (and Eternal's new player face is pretty cool to boot).

yeah. the one in equinox does kick ass. its not that im a vain bastard, but really, there are just so many shitty status bars out there for Doom, its horrid.

You have every right to think well of your status bar.

I think the reason so many bars don't turn out well is because it's hard to balance it out: it has to be both direct and free of distractions so you can read the thing, but it can't be too bland and tasteless at the same time.

RTC's Stat bar was nice, my favourite so far.
There's another status bar that found a way to my heart.....

I would've thought it's pretty obvious that the best one is from Eternal Doom.

At least for futuristic settings. The most awesome Doomguy face, by far, far, FAAAAAAR.

Well, if not Equinox, there's also the one in Biowar (which later found its way into Community Chest 1 with Requiem's numbers), Requiem's bar (that gold-on-black is a cool color scheme), and Russell Pearson's wood status bar.

I don't even want to think about the one I made for Weasel's Weapons. I made a significant improvement on the one in DoomOS.wad, but in my defense, I actually ripped the background of that from The Darkening Episode 2's textures, and the numbers were from the Windows Fixedsys font (I think).

Chronoteeth said:

.95 has hacx support :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but Hacx was a straightforward wad + deh, so any port that has good dehacked support will run it fine.

Nmn said:

Hacx also had a cool status bar.

Oh yeah, this one:
<insert image here>
Is also cool.

Takes up way too much of the screen if you ask me... but it does look pretty good. How much of that hud is actually functional?

No it's a fake ;)
But the real one is functional, unfortunately can't show it. Not YET ;)

jetflock said:

if you like some of the original huds, i cut up one of the original status screens to fit economically into the standard doom format.
original: http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/hud1.jpg
new: http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/hud2.jpg
just a subtle little bar.

With a bit of scripting you can make that original status bar work completely in Doom Legacy, Zdoom and probably Vavoom and several others.

yeah. i actually used the original hud. in one of the earlier doom legacy versions, i replaced one of the crosshairs with that giant bmp. it worked till 4.2, now if i play the version of my wad with the crosshair on, it crashes. though, learning that the cyan works now on the status bar in legacy, it may be possible to throw that whole thing back up again easily with just wintex(atleast for the "graphical appeal" that is).