Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
leileilol

Furries may soon invade the earth

Maybe those stories about the Chupacabra being a biotech monster aren't so far fetched, after all...

Now Weissman says he is thinking about making chimeric mice whose brains are 100 percent human. He proposes keeping tabs on the mice as they develop. If the brains look as if they are taking on a distinctly human architecture — a development that could hint at a glimmer of humanness — they could be killed, he said. If they look as if they are organizing themselves in a mouse brain architecture, they could be used for research.

So if it thinks like a human, we can kill it? So science justifies murder?

Heh, suddely the Cranium Rats from Planescape sound more realistic. I just hope they don't cast magic missle at us or something.

ravage said:

So if it thinks like a human, we can kill it? So science justifies murder?

Only when the alternative would be painful testing or being subjected to something against it's will, however, that's already the case with animal testing. We're just worried that the mice might be too human to be tested. Could also be because of legal reasons or some such, although I doubt anyone would consider a mouse with a human's brain a person.

On a less serious note, how long do you think it will be before someone decides to make a talking dog like Astro from the Jetsons or Scooby Doo? :P

Edit:
I just realized, but we could easily make subhumans with technology like this. Give them just enough functions to do menial tasks and you have a cheap, subserviant labor force.

Snarboo said:

Edit:
I just realized, but we could easily make subhumans with technology like this. Give them just enough functions to do menial tasks and you have a cheap, subserviant labor force.

They're called the poor.

Science is once again trying to get around the things they are told not to do. They are told not to clone, so instead they take animals and make them like humans...

I don't know. what's the differance between havesting amimals for meat and havesting amimals for orgins and stemcells? thought I'm not mad about the human brain in a mouse deal.

Captain Red said:

I don't know. what's the differance between havesting amimals for meat and havesting amimals for orgins and stemcells? thought I'm not mad about the human brain in a mouse deal.

Simple: The DNA. You're eating your own, basically. That's what creates, or can create, prions, if iirc.

ahh, but we wouldn't be eating these guys. We’d be using them for spare parts. And I don't see how it's any more unethical or unhealthy then what we do to them now.

I would bet PETA would support this as long as the subjects weren't killed-

20 years later, I'll be losing my job to a fox guy that can work 5x better than me.

and the above would be a racist comment.

I was reminded of that Superman episode(the latest series) where there was a new fad called "Splicing". Of course, at the heart of it all was a mad scientist with plans for a master race or something.

Hey, wait a minute...

Next thing we know, they'll create dinosaur-humans (collect fragments of dino-DNA and combine it with human DNA) which will then end up eating us all.

Bon appetit!

I disapprove.

S1lent said:

Science is once again trying to get around the things they are told not to do. They are told not to clone, so instead they take animals and make them like humans...

Eh?

Captain Red said:

ahh, but we wouldn't be eating these guys. We’d be using them for spare parts. And I don't see how it's any more unethical or unhealthy then what we do to them now.

What? The PETA support this at all? Pfft, anything involving animals, beneficial or not, they'd always find something to bitch about.

dsm said:

Next thing we know, they'll create dinosaur-humans (collect fragments of dino-DNA and combine it with human DNA) which will then end up eating us all.

Bon appetit!

You remember that old disney sitcom about a modernized flintstones where everyone was a dinosaur and whatnot?

dsm said:

Bon appetit!

Heh, I remember that episode of The Tick. What was that guy's name? Dinosaur Jim or something?