Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan

Progression

In this thread I would like to graphically illustrate the concept of progress:

My first attempt to draw an AK-47 (Nov 2003)

I think the lesson that can be drawn from this attempt is that you should actually look at a photo of what you're trying to draw, instead of going from your apparently quite deluded memory.

Second attempt (Nov 2003)

Here the artist has heeded the first lesson, but apparently skipped some of the seminars on vanishing points and perspective. Looks like you'll have to try again Mr Artist!

Third attempt (Nov 2004)

In this latest work-in-progress things are finally coming together. It's not finished, nor perfect, but it's getting there.

How about you people? How has your art progressed over time?

At first, when it came to making custom weapons at least, I used to draw it in the old graphics program Delux Paint 2. I made a few weapons, like a meat grinder thing, but they never looked real enough. They were cartoony looking (cause i drew it by hand on the comp), so then i started making weapons out of Doom's weapons- like i'd use the doomguy's fist from the chainsaw and stick on something from the plasma gun and then stick something from the BFG on it, to make new weapons out of doom's original weapons. Then i started getting into 3d graphics, so then i starting making the weapons in 3dsmax, modeling them and rendering them out. And thats how i do it today. The End.

The story of my start of drawing is complexed. I drew my whole life but it has been this year of 2004 that I realised I need improvement. Most of my drawings over my 17 years of my short life are really crappy compared to the abilities I gained and still am gaining at a decent speed.
The heaviest improvement started March this year. I learned to model in Gmax ("3ds max lite") but later, this August actually I started learning drawing very heavily.
I have no formal education, but I learn as much as I can, force myself to study art more and continue this journey to be as good as I simply can be. :')

Hey look! It's a forest.. :/
November 2003

Mountains! :/
November 2003

One of my very first wall textures created for "The People's Doom" project. After around 4 weeks of forum inactivity I presumed it died.
December 2003

Mancubus.. <_<
December 2003

[extremely ashamed]"Doom guy"[/extremely ashamed]
December 2003

Tablet Scribbles.
August 2004

One of my first weapons :). For those whose discouragement keeps them away from making weapons.
August 2004

LDG. Fresher weapon. Compare this one with the above one...
October 2004

Teh Cyberdemon.
November 2004

Revenant Water Color :) (this is a joke after some damn fool on the Fan Pic section posted a screenshot that was ran with a watercolor filter and the poor loser claimed it was his. This here is Open Canvas + Watercolor tool, so I called him that way :]
November 2004 (done today actually ;)
And.. I'm still learning! :D

The second attempt looks like you used the shotgun from Duke3d as a base.

ravage said:

Wait, which version of open canvas are you using?

Open Canvas Plus 3.06
05 is extremely buggy, at least from what I've experienced.

Weasel-that's one of my first weapon, not my first. I don't have my first one.. it's gone somewhere, but with this one I was just starting perspective :)