Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sirjuddington

SLADE

Lately I've been working on a doom map editor called SLADE. Since it's now possible to actually make and save original doom format maps with it, I'm releasing the very first alpha version, 0.1.

It works very similarly to DETH in it's configuration and editing style.

http://mancubus.net/~slayer/slade

Anyway at the moment a lot of the menu isn't functional, but you can save maps by selecting 'save map to new wad' in the file menu. Oh and I'm only really interested in bug reports for the moment, since I'm sure it's very buggy. So no feature requests please, there are already enough features I plan to implement first ;)

"This program could not be started since MSVCP71.dll could not be found. This problem might be fixed by reinstalling the program <OK>"

(translated from swedish)

Hmm not sure why it needs that DLL. Probably because it's compiled with MSVC .NET. Next time I'll compile the release with MSVC6.

3d mode is planned (3d preview at least should be coming soon, 3d editing a bit later...)

Slade eh? Come on, sing along everyone!

"So here it is merry Christmas,
Everybody's having fun.
Look to the future now
It's only just begun..."

boris said:

Didn't you already have a working 3d mode quite some time ago?

Yeah I did but it was slow as crap and I rewrote SLADE since then anyways :P. I'm pretty sure I know what was slowing it down so much so this time it should work ok...

Doesn't work for me with v0.11. It goes fullscreen, looks like it starts up, then bombs back to Windows with no error message. :(

Darkhaven said:

Doesn't work for me with v0.11. It goes fullscreen, looks like it starts up, then bombs back to Windows with no error message. :(

You sure you set everything up right? I don't think it exits if it can't find the game IWAD so that might crash it.

Bestill my aching heart, it's like DCK XP.

Looks very promising Slayer, nice work. Can never have too many Doom editors.

You mention 3D edit mode... do you mean linedef moving or like DB?

Well at the moment 3d mode is just a preview. Eventually I plan to include 3d editing capabilities like in DB. Line moving in 3d mode is impossible because I'm using gl nodes to render flats. But it might be possible to, say, disable flats while moving lines in 3d mode...

But anyway that stuff comes later, I already have a planned features list to implement ;)

SlayeR said:

You sure you set everything up right? I don't think it exits if it can't find the game IWAD so that might crash it.

I'm fairly sure. I tried modding the config file for SLADE.EXE to point to my iWAD path, and that didn't work, so I tried sticking the iWAD in SLADE's directory, and it still didn't work.

EDIT: Nevermind, typo in search directory :P

Nice editor, dude. I can't wait to make the first map with SLADE :P

Heh, just great. A certain program decided to fuck over my HD partitions and now I've lost a lot of crap including half the source for SLADE :/. No huge loss though, since it shouldn't take too long to rewrite (hopefully). And I should be able to get it working better this time around...

SlayeR said:

Heh, just great. A certain program decided to fuck over my HD partitions and now I've lost a lot of crap including half the source for SLADE :/. No huge loss though, since it shouldn't take too long to rewrite (hopefully). And I should be able to get it working better this time around...

YOU FAIL IT! Always keep backups >:(