Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #208

'allo! DD_133 here and I am heralded with rains of blessing, oh wait that's not rain! Anyway, we got a handful of wads here for you, and the Doom singleplayer wads make a return in force this week, making deathmatch maps whittle down to a measly 1. This week also contains your regular duds and a couple big releases, one is a Kurt Kesler wad compilation, and another is a very nice TC, by name of Cold as Hell. Also, a lot of these wads have been uploaded to the archives to the first time since they were made in 1994 and 1995, Hooray!

• ADoom - The Weasle
    Graphics and sound replacement - 439k
    The aim of this mod was to make the imp look like a monster from the Aliens movie. I think it kind of looks like a Royal Imp now. This mod also includes some weapon sound replacements from the movie 'Aliens'.

• Barney DOOM - Jody Melanson
    Doom2.exe - Graphics Replacement - 81k
    This is a WAD made especially for all you barney lovers. This WAD turns the normal Demon into Barney, singing 'I looove you' when he sees you. If you like shooting Barney the dinosaur up, this one is for you.

• Base 21 - Andy Hassall
    Doom.exe - SP - 44k -(img)
    Nope, this isn't by the same authors nor is it anything like the same as Base 12 above. That taken care of, this wad is a good Doom level, makes good use of the e2 style, and despite the sudden change in styles throughout the level it plays well, and ammo and health are in good quantities. An average level, but nothing here if you are after details.

• Big Bad One - Michael C. Davis
    Doom2.exe - SP - 35k -(img)
    This is another one that basically sucks. Poor architecture, bad texturing, poor monster placement, short on ammo, and very poor gameplay. Download it for laughs.

• Big Juicy Level - Dave DeBaufer & Dennis Bergeron
    Doom.exe - SP - 85k -(img)
    Here's another 1994 wad, and as you might expect in most wads released about this certain year, the gameplay and architecture are horrible. Big Juicy Level is simply a few big rooms combined with bad texturing and cramped corridors, and tons of monsters from afar to snipe at you and slowly piss you off. I don't like this because compared to todays wads and not only todays, but to the doom style, it's a smelly dud.

• Big MAZE - Jonathan Ryglicki
    Doom2.exe - SP - 21k
    One big 1 texture maze with no detail and filled with every monster you have to fight with a pistol. Have fun.

• Blast 'Em! - Bill Spratt
    Doom2.exe - DM - 237k -(img)
    A 2 wad DM set, the only DM wad of the week! Not something I would want to play on however. Architecture isn't really that good, there are monsters in the DM maps and the texturing is pretty bland. A good pick if you like running over miles of terrain, but hey, good job for a 1995 wad, at least out of those that I've seen.

• Blazing Fury - MasterOFDeath
    ZDoom 2.0.63a + Doom2 - SP - 698k -(img)
    Well here's a map by the haunted ZDoom mapper MasterOFDeath. And it is fairly good in terms of scripting and gameplay, architecture is nice. However, you will need Xaser's Fury_X weapon mod to play this or you will be finding yourself fighting off a wave of imps with low health and with a pistol. Good map and worth a download if you are the 'survival' type.

• Cold as Hell - Jon Washburn
    ZDoom 2.0.63a + Doom2 - SP - 22,449k -(img)(img)(img)(img)(img)(img)(img)(img)
    This wad is an incredible make. The game opens like Action doom, aboard a airplane. And then it continues on a abandoned Greenland base. The action a suspense are quite RTC like, and also it includes weapon reloads! The snow objects used in the maps can considerably slow down the gameplay, but that's really the only complaint I have. If you play this be sure to keep an eye out for your ammo meter, so you might want to reload after each fight, esque Doom3. The health bar also needs immediate attention, as if serious bleeding occurs than you will die slowly, but hey, that's what bandages are for. Of importance is to use the .ini included and set the controls to your liking, although it isn't required to use the .ini, it helps speed up setting it up. If you can get past the slight framerate drops in the snowing areas, this is a must and absolute great play and a sure winner in my book.

• Cultist - Matt Cibulas (RottKing)
    ZDoom 2.0.63a - Skin - 102k
    Here's another skin by our resident Skulltag player, Rottking. It's basically a Cultist, hence the name, if he's black or white or KKK I can't really tell, but it's a complete skin with a sounds cherry on top, so here's a all around good skin, complete with robe and hood!

• Danarchy's Heretic Speedmapping 1: The Sewers of D'Sparil - Various authors
    ZDoom 2.0.63a + Heretic - SP - 76k -(img)(img)
    Presenting the first ever Danarchy's heretic speedmapping! The maps are fairly detailed and a couple bugs can be noticed as well. The maps offer a good balance of difficulty and gameplay, although they can be tedious at times on harder skill levels. I'd say a great job for a 100 minute session.

• Kmega1 - Kurt Kesler
    Doom2.exe - SP - 2293k -(img)(img)(img)
    A compilation of Kurt's first 18 WADs he ever released to the world, so this is a trip to the past of when he had started. Good compilation, nice balance of ammo, health and detail. Some areas are a bit cramped but overall, good wad, and it will keep you busy enough for maybe an hour or two on UV.

• Map30 Plus - Ian "riki" Chipman
    Doom2.exe - SP - 22k -(img)
    A alternate MAP30. Same old shoot the brain to end the game thing. However you need to get the rocket launcher and then the brain 'wakes up'. Nice little twist to the original MAP30. Quite challenging on UV by yourself, and Coop playability!

• Reject Map Builder - Jens Hykkelbjerg
    Utility - 140k
    Here's something you don't see everyday, or nearly ever for that matter. A command-line based utility that 'lets you take a PWAD and find out which sectors can be seen from a sector'.

• Twad - Troy Ochs (SONNY)
    Doom.exe - SP - 13k
    Well a week may not be fully complete without someone's first attempt at mapping now can it? This level is either that or an unfunny joke wad. Take your pick.

• Waste Processing - XXoXX
    Doom2.exe - SP - 140k -(img)
    Here's a nice level based on TNT map13. Somewhat bland on the detailing and ammo is in pretty short supply for the number of monsters you'll see, so you might not want to try to kill all the monsters, if you dislike taking down chaingunners and mancubi with fists.

• What Lurks Beneath Base12? - Scott Tingley, Wesley Leong
    Doom.exe - SP - 191k -(img)(img)
    The answer to that question is a billion tunnels in a underground cavern that requires use of a automap if you don't want to be lost for 3 hours. And a different version of a cavern is in about every level in this wad. Health and ammo aren't that aplenty, so on UV you might want to be a lot more cautious about corners. Most of the time you'll find yourself looking for a sole shotgun shell to combat a cacodemon if you aren't careful with your ammo.

Cold as Hell would be amazing if it didn't run at 5fps on my computer. I am glad the author included the ability to turn the snow off, but it makes little difference on many levels, it still runs extremely poor. I shouldn't have to deal with this in a mod for a 10+ year old game.

I have frame-rate problems in Cold As Hell, even with snow off. I played it in ZDoom 2.0.63a and the screen was always too dark, and I ended up dying in the plane after it crashed (couldn't see the way out). Tried it in 2.0.94 and it gave me a Very Fatal Error after the plane crashed, before I could do anything.

This mod is harder to get working than System Shock 1 on an XP system.

WildWeasel said:

funny you should say that, 'cuz i did exactly that this past summer and it only took about 15 minutes of fuckery.

Goodness, Barney Doom - that was the first DOOM mod I ever saw (not counting pure levels without graphics replacements etc.). That sure brings back memories...

Oh, and "Big MAZE" doesn't seem to be anywhere in the archive actually...?

Danarchy said:

WTF? Barney Doom is older than Doom 2 itself. Blast from the past.

It is now playable with DooM1, Ultimate DooM , DooM2 and
FinalDooM.
Greetings
Funduke

Cold as Hell is supposed to be fixed, but it runs at 5fps. That's just weird. I used IDCLEV and it has this problem on all levels.

i'm only noticing any significant slowdown when there's fade-to-black going on. my FPS fails it when i die (and i die a lot, but holy shit i'm having fun)

the game runs fine, or mostly fine, otherwise.

Nick Perrin said:

Cold as Hell is supposed to be fixed, but it runs at 5fps. That's just weird. I used IDCLEV and it has this problem on all levels.

Works fine for me (save for some occasional windows xp-related jerking that occurs every time I play DOOM).

I tried, I REALLY TRIED to play through Cold as Hell. Really I did. Too choppy and the running around and gathering peices of paper pissed me off too much.

Nice looking week. I thought the reviews were long enough, but the screenshots for Blast 'Em! and Blazing Fury are broken.

Lord help me! The download link for big MAZE doesn't work! SAVE ME FROM MORTAL PERIL!

Short but informative reviews. Good stuff.

Funny, this new version of Map30 Plus allows the same shortcut as the previous version (which I mentioned in my review in T/nC #171), despite the text-file claiming that a shortcut possibility has been closed up. Perhaps he forgot that you could archie-jump to the RL.

BTW, this map requires Zdoom (i.e. the information at the start of the review is incorrect - yes, I understand fully how easy it is to make that sort of slip when writing up the reviews).

One other comment: I think kmega1 offers more than just an hour or two's gameplay.

WildWeasel said:

Duh. Altough I followed TTLG forum monkeys' advices I couldn't get the thing to run on my system with sound. I decided something else-switched Winamp and played some System Shock tunes (one per level, moved to another level-saved, changed music, reloaded). With this cheap method I played SS with hi-quality music, yet without sounds. I had to be really careful tough. Damn Invisible Mutants... Tough I completed it again and relived a wonderful experience :)

Nmn - you're lucky! :) The sound works fine on my computer, but unfortunately the game crashes as soon as you leave the first room... and that was after spending a considerable amount of trying to free enough memory for it to even get past the intro :(.

Back on topic - the Blast 'em! screenshot link doesn't work, and the Blazing Fury screenshot link is actually for Big Juicy Level.

Ahh, i was wondering when "Cold as hell" would come out, should download it tomorror night, as long as i can remove my brother, ah well, i'll tell him how far i am in San Andreas and he'll try to catch up

for me it was massive slowdown in SS1... i fixed that by doing everything the TTLG thread said, but leaving out the bit about VDMsound.

also the damn thing crashed sometimes when i brought up the menu to save.

Grazza said:

I think kmega1 offers more than just an hour or two's gameplay.

Probably. But it sure was fun. :D

Also, sorry for the short reviews everyone, next time I do a review (if ever) i'll try to be a bit more descriptive. ;)

Cold as Hell - Wow! Just finished it. It was certainly worth the 3 hours it took me to DL it.

That's a pretty amazing Doom mod. Very immersive with a real feeling of place, its own time and logic. At times it was simply stunning. It was also quite creepy in places and it was cool to see Doom monsters (and derivatives) used in an unusual, but logical, setting. The interface was cool and generally well done but I did notice that there was sometimes a lag between what was happening in game and what was reflected on the screen/inventory etc.

Did it slow down? Yes, it did. Was it an unacceptable slowdown? Most of the time, no. Only once did it slow down to a speed that made it difficult for me to play on my 2.8GHz machine. Strangely, when this happened, I was inside a building and no snow was visible anywhere, so I guess that wasn't the problem. Most of the time it did run slower than I would normally expect with Zdoom. I was typically getting frame rates in the mid to high 40s a lot of the time, compared with my usual rate of well over 200 - nearer 300. So I would guess that there is simply no point in trying to play this with a "minimum spec for Zdoom" machine, whatever that may be.

even though you can't see it, the snow is still causing the massive slowdown, most likely. i discovered this by turning it off while in the underground prison, where my FPS went down to 0 until i hit f12, when, miraculously, it came back to an acceptable rate.

It's been at WIP for a while, but no one's really talking about it now because for most people(including me) it lags like crazy, and it has nothing to do with how good your computer is.

Indeed. I'm getting around 1 FPS on my Athlon 1800+ with 512 megs RAM - hardly a "minimum spec for Zdoom machine".