Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #208

With the two patches running, I think Cold as Hell could be one of the most awesome Doom mods I've played. The custom menu is a nice change from the Doom status bar, and the reloading and shell ejecting is very nice. I became really frustrated sometimes with the loading and the weapons, but it wasn't too bad. I would deffinitely consider this one of the best projects of the year, and it's surprising it went so long without any publicity or anything.

I agree, it's quite great - and the fact that you get leave empty bullets when firing is just cool. ^^ I wonder whether something like that could be added to ZDoom itself eventually; after all, there are already bullet marks and blood decals, too...

Thanks for the info on the patches!

Agreed. Once I got CAH running at a playable FPS, I was blown away at how fun this mod is ("fun" being a term I do not use too often).

When you're riding the jeep, select the fists and start punching air.

"It feels like you're running at an incredible rate, Harry!"

Schneelocke said:

I've completed a number of objectives, and just called for help on the radio at the old base (and drove back to the main base); my objectives are now: 1) search for survivors and intel; 2) find and read Dr Jurgen's notes; and 3) find a way to contact forces and escape.

Well it looks like I'm now in the exact same position as you. It's strange because one of the doctor's other notes says he left the last code in the library, but all I found there were the 4 part notes explaining one of the incidents leading up to the invasion.

I also noticed it's possible to break the game by leaving the armory and returning after you've freed the prisoners and gotten the gasoline. The jeep will no longer allow you to fuel it and then ride it to the radio area. This also happens if you leave the armory AFTER you complete the radio objective, so you can never return there again.

Eh... Darn. Where exactly can these patches be found? I've been scouring previous posts for a link... can't seem to find one... Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...ack.

Thanks to the patches I got Cold As Hell running just fine. Very impressive. I don't care much for the reloading of weapons, but I can easily overlook that. Definitely WAD of the week, IMO.

Has anyone been able to finish CAH? I'm still stuck at the same spot and I have the suspicion that it's a faulty script somewhere. I tried to repeat the progress I made while not using the patches to see if it affected something but it slowed down to < 5 fps on the housing level eventually. I couldn't move with any clear direction to test it. :o

I've gotten stuck early on. In "Central Transit" (Chapter 2) just after I release the lockdown and go to leave the building I get a screenful of text and the game just stops there. The text never goes away. This happened on both zDoom 2.0.63a and 2.0.94, with help mode on or off, as well as using just patch 1 and both patch 1 & 2. I'm stumped.

There is no /newstuff this week, due to both of the assigned reviewers doing absolutely nothing. #209 will be posted next Sunday and will cover everything released in the two weeks covered.

Vile said:

Has anyone been able to finish CAH? I'm still stuck at the same spot and I have the suspicion that it's a faulty script somewhere. I tried to repeat the progress I made while not using the patches to see if it affected something but it slowed down to < 5 fps on the housing level eventually. I couldn't move with any clear direction to test it. :o

I was able to finish it. Using IDDQD, that is, but at least the scripts didn't mess up. ^_~ This was on skill level 1, BTW.

Bloodshedder said:

There is no /newstuff this week, due to both of the assigned reviewers doing absolutely nothing. #209 will be posted next Sunday and will cover everything released in the two weeks covered.

Any names we can place the blame squarely on?

I think they are waiting until they finish CC2 and then they'll make #209.

Heh the team needs to finish beta-testing first. So... it will probably be #210 instead. Although on the bright side, it will be released VERY soon.