Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 does not equal 0.3

Captain Red said:

(it can go up to 160 kilometres per hour!)

What a shitty car. Also, why can't you spell the unit of measurement you use properly?

fraggle said:

0.99999999999.... = 1

If you mean that 0. with infinite 9's following is equal to 1, then yes. But the computer does not store an infinite number of digits. It generally cuts it off after a few dozen.

AndrewB said:

If you mean that 0. with infinite 9's following is equal to 1, then yes.

no. It only come as close as is theoreticly possible to equaling 1. For any an all pratical purposes you might as well use one...but they aren't equal.

Ultraviolet said:

Also, why can't you spell the unit of measurement you use properly?

Americans don't even believe in the metric system, so why should you worry about the spelling? :P

(Note to anal forum lurkers: yes I'm aware scientists - including American ones - use the metric system)

Quast said:

no. It only come as close as is theoreticly possible to equaling 1. For any an all pratical purposes you might as well use one...but they aren't equal.

Yes they are. You lose.

Psyonisis said:

?

Metre and meter are interchangeable.

lol suuuure

you stupid europeans and your constant perversions of the american language

Psyonisis said:

Metre and meter are interchangeable.

In Australian (and possibly UK, unsure) English, metre is a metric measurement (100 centimetres); whilst meter is an instrument that measures something (not necessarily metres).

Starting a conversation on math on DW is like trying to make cookie dough that has absolutely no eggs, no milk, no water, nothing...

It falls apart.

Trying to start a conversation on Doomworld where AndrewB enters is like a mental vacuum...

Everybody ends up with fewer brain cells than they started with.

Snarboo said:

Trying to start a conversation on Doomworld where AndrewB enters is like a mental vacuum...

Everybody ends up with fewer brain cells than they started with.

Jeez, if you're going to take a stab at someone, at least have some wit.

AndrewB said:

Jeez, if you're going to take a stab at someone, at least have some wit.

I apologize, I just didn't like your condescending tone. It's not exactly classy to insult people who you willingly let enter your conversation. It's also not possible to dictate exactly what might happen in a thread on any forum, so there's really no reason to insult people if a conversation doesn't turn out like you want it to.

I find it objectionable that you talk about "tone" of speech when we're dealing with written text.

Anyway, people were squabbling over points that have been made many times in triple-digit threads in the past. The truth is that this community gets into some truly riveting arguments ("You lose", "nope, you're completely wrong.", "Asians are totally screwed up!") when we deal with theology. Lighten up and learn to read between the lines.

AndrewB said:

I find it objectionable that you talk about "tone" of speech when we're dealing with written text.

You can't entirely dismiss tone on the internet becuase that's how many people tend to read things. I know that seems odd, but I tend to read tone into things that might not necessarily be there. Sometimes I take things personaly if they hit me wrong. Yeah I know, you're supposed to have thick skin on the internet, but often I get upset over the same things I would find objectionable in real life if someone were saying it rather than typing it.

AndrewB said:
Starting a conversation on math on DW is like trying to make cookie dough that has absolutely no eggs, no milk, no water, nothing...

uhhh, how many times have we disscussed maths here?

Melfice said:

I'm currently trying to figure out why I should care.

I got you beat, i didnt even bother trying.

According to m-w.com, "colour" comes up as a valid entry, stating it's a British variant of "color"

"Gaol" also turned up for a variant of "jail". I generally prefer British spellings, but I didn't think anyone actually used that one. But apparently someone thought enough of it to put it in the Merriam Webster dictionary.

"d e f i n a t e" returned no entries.

My guess is that somebody simply spelled the word wrong and was so convinced it was correct that they defensively said it was the correct way in Australia.
However, if someone wants to point me in the direction of an online Australian dictionary that has "d e f i n a t e" I will kindly take back my "PWNED BITCH!"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure d e f i n a t e is an incorrect spelling everywhere, despite lots of people misspelling it just about everywhere. I've heard some people (including Danarchy, I believe) saying that's the way they learned it in school, but that doesn't make it any more correct.

Hyena said:

"Gaol" also turned up for a variant of "jail".

It hasn't been in general use for ages, but it will still turn up in old literature.

Also once a word enters a dictionary it's unusual for it to be removed.

I used to use the u but stopped when I noticed it was a completely British invention. For instance, the Latin word for color was "color", the Old French word for honor "honor", favorite came from the Italian word "favorito", etc. So I thinking adding a silent u was a pretty stupid idea and Webster was good to remove them. Though I can't stand the American spelling "gray" for grey, it's ugly as hell.

And a lot of these aren't just in Austrailia either. Things like Colo-U-r, defin-A-tely (If that get's starred out...), civili-S-ed, Armo-U-r are also used over here in the UK.

TheDarkArchon said:

defin-A-tely

Show me a british dictionary with defin-A-tely. I'm pretty sure it's "definitely" everywhere.

Doom-Child said:

My God, is there anything you freaking foreigners won't do?

Nyah nyah nyah!
I'll spell colour correctly if I want to. Feel free to spell anything however the hell you want to.
By the way, real classy generalizing everyone outside of the little country you call home with the words "freaking foreigner". I think you'll find people living in Not-America outnumber you by about 6 billion.