Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Community Chest 2 demos

I might as well start a thread for these, since I imagine there will be quite a few in due course.

Cchest2 can be downloaded here.

Here's one to start the ball rolling:
Map30 ("In Threes" by Cyb) UV Speed in 1:25. Boom 2.02 format. A funny demo, with a few little tricks. Not too difficult though.

Ah, I feel stupid now that I asked if we should do a CC2 pack in the "random demos" thread. Reminder to check all new threads before replying to an old one. :-)

Anyway, is there general interest to do a demo pack? Because I'm sure as hell in! Any news of when the final release is due?

Kristian Ronge said:

Ah, I feel stupid now that I asked if we should do a CC2 pack in the "random demos" thread. Reminder to check all new threads before replying to an old one. :-)

Anyway, is there general interest to do a demo pack? Because I'm sure as hell in! Any news of when the final release is due?

I've got no clue to the final release date. Certainly would come around Christmas or New Years Eve I hope.

Other than that, count me in if there's going to be a demo pack for CC2 ^_^.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of anything like a full demopack. Some of the maps might not be too demo-friendly or Max-friendly - there appear to be some huge maps in there.

I suspect a genuine release is imminent.

BTW, I noticed some more radical shortcut ideas in map30. Probably TAS-only though.

I would not be shocked to see the final come in the next week or ten days.

There are just a scant few issues to deal with, then it is headed out to new stuff.

Grazza said:
I wasn't necessarily thinking of anything like a full demopack. Some of the maps might not be too demo-friendly or Max-friendly - there appear to be some huge maps in there.

How sad. :-(

I suspect a genuine release is imminent.

How nice. :-)

Grazza said:

I wouldn't go for an absolutely complete demopack either, unless people REALLY like those filler maps, which I doubt. The necessity for them seems to bring the project down a notch rather than contributing to it, IMO.

This was also the case in CC1 with some godawful maps like 06.

Don't know if I'll play CC2. Huge maps? Nah, that's not for me. But I'll be eager for every demo.

The next WAD I'm looking for is of course Scythe 2. Atm I'm still working on Scythe. (A new set of demos is coming with the next DSDA update :)

Hell, I'll do demos for the filler maps. They aren't THAT bad. I already know them all very well.

You my well be surprised at how well they play.

Just so everyone knows....cchest2 is out now ^_^! Go grab it at /newstuff and start recording away like I'll be doing after I finish downloading it :).

EDIT: Just did 3 demos for map01. First a UV-Max in 1:29, then a UV-Speed in 0:21, and then a NM-Speed in 0:30. Sending off to Ops now.

Anima Zero said:

... start recording away like I'll be doing after I finish downloading it :).

OK, if you insist. :)

Map32 (Sodding Death by chopkinsca) UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:30.

Not sure if this was the intended route. :p

Note: this is the map that crashes Eternity or Boom, so you'll need to use one of the more recent versions of prboom/glboom to watch it. Edit: just tested it. prboom/glboom 2.1.1 or later can cope with the map, but to watch the demo you'll need 2.2.2 or later.

Ah, great, great! Downloading right now... I'll take a look at the maps and see if I find someone I like enough to make a demo or two for! :-D

Grazza, Great job on the demo. Cool tricks.

I really like that map. A lot of danger there, some good traps.

A quickie to keep things lively:

Map09 ("The Transformer" by Graf Zahl) NM in 0:48.

BTW, I noticed that Thematic Elements (on which Ryback did a nice UV Max recently) appears as map22 in CChest2. However, the demo desyncs (I *think* I converted it correctly), so presumably there have been some changes in the map (or a node rebuild).

Thematic Elements was used as a filler map. I didn't change the wad at all. It must have been a node rebuild.

Kristian Ronge said:

Quick question -- Which is the correct complevel to use when recording for these maps with PrBoom?

Some levels work fine with -complevel 0 (ex. map01). However, there were some exceptions (like map02 and I think map19) where the levels use some Boom features. In that case, -complevel 5 needs to be used.

Overall, I'd use -complevel 5 for everything and save yourself some trouble in the future.

Anima Zero said:

Overall, I'd use -complevel 5 for everything and save yourself some trouble in the future.

I'd agree with that. That is the level that emulates Boom 2.02 (NB: the 2.2.4 documentation is wrong), and so everything should work as intended.

Note also that it's not just Boom specials that won't work with -complevel 0 or -complevel 1. There are also some Doom "bugs" that were fixed in Boom, so you might not get some lindefs triggering correctly. This problem can also occur if you use -complevel 3 (although maybe the Boom specials work OK - I'm not sure though).

[Obviously, we're talking about Prboom 2.2.x here. The complevels in 2.3.x are different. You can't record in that anyway though.]

Since Grazza already did a NM-Speed for map09, I decided to follow up with a UV-Max and UV-Speed for map09 as well. The UV-Max is 1:46, UV-Speed is 0:48 (I kept getting caught on the monsters, so this can easily be improved). Sending to Ops now.

Since we seem to have a little C209 pack going here, I thought I'd do a Pacifist demo. I freely admit that this wasn't one of my better ideas. Nevertheless, here it is:

Map09 ("The Transformer" by Graf Zahl) UV Pacifist in 2:55.

I'll leave Tyson to someone else.

I don't wanna look stupid or anything but what's a pacifist demo?
Also, I'd like to see a max demo of map15. ;D

Nah, just joking.

Lutrov71 said:

what's a pacifist demo?

Short version: Exit the map without harming the monsters.

Long version (from compet-n's FAQ):

UV Pacifist: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, with the following restrictions: not harming monsters directly (no shooting at, chainsawing, boxing monsters), not harming monsters indirectly (exploding barrels that hurt monsters, activating crushers that hurt monsters). Allowed is making monsters fight each other and unintentional telefrags.

There have been further clarifications about what constitutes an unintentional or an intentional telefrag.

Is anyone else having trouble completing map24 using prboom? Beyond the room with the yellow key is a room with a fountain and some chairs, as well as a switch that opens about 4 doors leading outside. For some reason that switch works in zdoom but not in prboom.

Also, as I tested it myself, a pacifist run there could be done in under 2 minutes.

Tag 44/linedef 9094 doesn't seem to work in Boom, Prboom, Eternity, or anything I've tested it in except Zdoom.

When the "premature release" appeared, I tried to check the maps for this type of problem (there has been a recent spate of maps made with Doombuilder that were unintentionally Zdoom-only), but didn't find this one. WadAuthor's error checking ("Check map...") didn't (and still doesn't) find anything wrong with this linedef/tag.

There's nothing wrong with tag 44, as such. The problem is that linedef 9094 is behind linedefs 9956-9, which are all wall scrollers and as such have an nonzero action number.

Such linedefs will eat use key presses, no matter if their action number is a switch, or one of the other types (walk triggers, gun triggers, scrolling walls, etc.)

The exception to this behaviour is, as usual, zdoom, which allows use key presses to pass through a linedef with a nonzero action number, if that action number doesn't correspond to a switch action.

RjY said:

There's nothing wrong with tag 44, as such. The problem is that linedef 9094 is behind linedefs 9956-9, which are all wall scrollers and as such have an nonzero action number.

So the simplest fix might be to make linedef 9958 normal. That doesn't force a node rebuild, and it then works as intended, with just a minute visual difference.

Of course, there might be other such problems with so many scrolling textures, but this fix at least makes in possible to exit the map in the port the wad was designed for.