Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Community Chest 2 demos

I have never done a demo before, so I thought I would do one for my own map.

That said, there are quite a few 'issues' with the demo. I used Prboom (the latest 2.2.X), a port which I have never really used (except for some testing). I am used to ZDoom freelook with no autoaim, so the lack of those two features made for difficulty in control. Also I use the scroll wheel for weapon changing (most of the time), so using the numbers can cause confusion. I wasn't used to the turning speed at all either. It's a HMP max run, because I don't feel like dealing with UV on that map right now. In the demo, I get close to the end, and remember that I forgot a secret, so I run back (and for some reason I don't bother to make sure the path is clear) and I almost get killed.

To sum it up, it is a rather sad demo, and I don't know the length of time it took either. It is also my first demo.
Here it is, so you can have a good laugh.

Did 3 demos today.

First, a UV-Max for map19 in 4:31. Pretty good overall, except for a somewhat sloppy Blue Skull Key area (had trouble getting said key, and had bad aim with SSG on the Baron).

Then, at the request of Lutrov, I did a pair of -nomonsters runs for map20. The first one was done in 2:47 and shows how to get all of the keys. The second one shows off a trick jump I found while learning the level, eliminating the need for the Blue and Yellow Skull Keys. Time for that one is 1:21. Sending them all to Ops now.

From DMTHA output:

AMMO COUNTS
Bullets: 575
Shells: 232
Rockets: 13
Cells: 20

WEAPONS
Shotguns: 2
Chainguns: 1

So, it looks like there are 13 rockets but only shotgun and chaingun.

Donce said:

From DMTHA output:

AMMO COUNTS
Bullets: 575
Shells: 232
Rockets: 13
Cells: 20

WEAPONS
Shotguns: 2
Chainguns: 1

So, it looks like there are 13 rockets but only shotgun and chaingun.

Thx, Donce. This means two senseless secrets with useless rockets behind them.

I did a maxrun in 4:46. Sadly it contains an embarrassing scene, in which I needed 17 shotgun shots for a single baron. This could be a record, so perhaps I'll post it though.
Opulent edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c202-446.zip

Angus Thermopyle said:

Sadly it contains an embarrassing scene, in which I needed 17 shotgun shots for a single baron.

Perhaps the mapper had followed the suggestion in the second paragraph of "Applications" on this page, in which case it's not really your fault.

Nah, it's definitely me aiming at the baron, but shooting the walls around us without hitting him. I'll spend a bit more time on this map and will hopefully do it better.

EDIT: No luck during the last hour. My best time was 5:02. And my optical mouse goes mad: is spinning wildly and ruins every second run. So I just sent the UV Max on Map02 in 4:46 to Opulent. (Better uploading this than becoming mad too.)

Good way to get people to make a demo of your map. ;P
Seriously, if I tried to make a demo of map15, I'm sure I'd leave out one imp or something.

Just did a UV-Max for map23 in 19:38. I really like this level (one of the best from CC2), plus it's has plenty of monsters to kill. That's never bad ^_^. Sending to Ops now.

PS: If any of you have ever played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES or GBA, then you'll notice this level is very much like Death Mountain from that game. A few things looked slightly different, but that was to be expected.

And did I mention that this level is really good already :)?
Opulent edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c2231938az.zip

Nice demos! Keep them coming, people. :-)

IMPORTANT!!!!!! EDIT:

Oh man...
In a recent discussion in another thread, I got to thinking about all the regular demos I've recorded with Andrey's PrBoom 2.2.4. And I remembered I'd just finished a TAS run prior to recording the demos for CC2 map 10. I checked those demos with LMPC and... to my horror I found that I had probably forgotten to turn the "permanent strafe-50" off! :-(

Now, I have always made the utmost effort to make a clear distinction between TAS and non-TAS demos, and since this basically counts as a strafe-50 mousedriver it is *completely* unacceptable to consider my old CC2 map 10 demos as non-cheated demos. They are cheated. There, I said it. They weren't deliberately made that way, but my negligence isn't meant as a defence, merely as an explanation.

I immediately recorded a new set of demos WITHOUT ANY DAMN CHEATS! They can be found here .

CC2 map 10 UV speed in 0:43
CC2 map 10 UV max in 3:41

I apologize deeply and humbly for this horrific oversight. If you have the old CC2 map 10 demos, throw them away. The new ones are quicker, anyway.

I'd like to see someone else make a UV-Max (or, if you feel really lucky, a UV-Speed ^_^) for map 23. Not that my demo was bad, but I'd like to see if anybody can improve on it. If you do go thru with it, have fun at the SSG trap! I sure did :).

C'mon, I dare ya to make a demo ^_^.

I did another UV-Max for...yup, you guessed it, my favorite level map23. Time for this one is 17:37, a 2 minute and 1 second improvement over my previous demo for the level. I actually made sure the final soulsphere secret counted this time. However...one monster is alive at the end (he's around the entrance to the plasma gun area). Arg!

Anyways, sending to Ops now.

Angus Thermopyle said:

Then have a look at Halo Of Wonders (kaiser_14), please ;)

I just did. Lots and lots of monsters I must say. Course, I died at the end, no surprise there (Big Alien+shooting out Mancubi fireballs at an astounding rate+me getting caught on edge of pillar+32 health=quick and easy way to die ^_^). And yes, I did pick up the megasphere that was there.

Other than that, great level. I might attempt a demo in the next few days or so for it if i'm up to it.

Cool map23 runs, Anima. I sent a map23 max to The Doug as per your request for the level to be smacked around a bit more. Under 10 minutes is probably possible, since I was less than a minute shy of the mark, but there was some hefty bits of luck in my run.

Quoth the Cyber, "Aw snap."

Great demos everyone! I made a demo for map14 in 5:53. I hope someone makes a demo for map15 that map is interesting. :)

/edit: Made map26 in 8:55.