Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Community Chest 2 demos

I see a few people asking about MAP15. Having problems finding all the secret switches?

Try looking for very thin staircases, switches far away that are gun-activated, out of the way lifts that lower, textures that are the wrong color compared to the surrounding ones, etc.

There are some devious secrets in that level, it took me over an hour to complete it with 100% secrets. The sporadic monster teleport traps did not help, either. Not only did monsters teleport in, they teleported in *everywhere*.

Yes, that would be annoying level for making demos.

Just watched your map23 demo Vile...

...I will be damned! That was an excellent demo!

Of course that Cybie was screwed. That happened to me in my 19:38 demo, but I thought it would be faster to have the cybie take out the hell knights, so I took out a few bull demons by it and got it to attack the HKs. I think the way you handle it is faster though overall.

As for the last area, perhaps saving some more rockets to take out the archie might improve the time some.

And just to confirm...yes, it's indeed Toxic Seahorse's stage music from MMX 3.

Once again, awesome demo!

I agree with Anima Zero, your MAP23 demo is well done. You probably should have saved a few more cells and a rocket or two for the last Arch-Vile, otherwise, I think you planned and executed it well.

While I suck at speed running, I love to see what other (better) people can accomplish. Keep up the good work y'all.

Interesting...

I've finally taken an interest in demos, and then I come here and embarassingly find that my map (cchest2 map02) isnt the best for demorunning. Then again, up until this point I never even thought that anyone would try and record a speeddemo, the thought just didnt occur to me...

Anyway, my apologies, and all this was noted for future reference.

BTW the rockets were intended to give the player a bit of ammo for some later levels, so they are useless in demo recording, heh...

6:06 seems really fast to me on map 17. I am sure to love it. Maybe I just screw around way to much for the scenery.

Grabbing it now. Thanks.

6:06 really isn't that fast (you'll see when you watch the demo). It's just that the layout and progression of the map makes it very tempting to rush through to the "final" room with the red key, grab the rocket launcher and the ammo/powerups and then start cleaning house. I made lots of mistakes everywhere.. particularly the arachno part is embarrasing. I also had to waste much time going back to kill the revenants from below (since I couldn't find a good, reliable way to do it from the alcoves -- too much splash damage).

IMPORTANT: Through a terrible oversight, my old CC2 map 10 demos were made with some TAS features turned on (I use Andrey Budko's PrBoom 2.2.4 to record in PrBoom)!

I noticed it an hour ago, and have recorded new demos for map 10, found here.

I have also edited my first post concerning those demos. Throw away the old C210*.lmp's and grab the new ones. I'm very sorry for this mistake. It will not happen again.

Even tho' you say you made "mistakes" your map 17 run is still excellent. You are quite aggressive in many places.

It is something I have just been to timid to do after a few terrible deaths in some of those places. That is why I have just been playing more slowly. I'd be thrilled to eventually get that time for myself below 10, even tho' you say 5 or less might be possible. I am obviously not a world class player, even after all these years.

Your old map 10 demos play fine on my system btw.

Well I need get busy with demos on a few filler maps. Real ssg blastfests.

Searcher said:
Even tho' you say you made "mistakes" your map 17 run is still excellent.

Thank you very much, Gene. You're much too kind, really. In no way does the 6:06 demo deserve to be called "excellent"; it's best to reserve such praise for demos that deserve it (I'm thinking COMPET-N class...). :-)

I'd be thrilled to eventually get that time for myself below 10, even tho' you say 5 or less might be possible.

5 or less is certainly possible, especially for the extreme maxrunning talents of Anders Johnsen, Drew DeVore, or Radek Pecka, to name a few. For non-Gods like myself it would be hard, but still quite possible if one wants to devote the time necessary to do it (or wait for a really lucky try!).

Good luck with getting below 10:00!

Nice demo of map 17.. I was worried that no one would find that big secret in the area with the red key..but it seems like it's ok after all..Thanks again for makeing the demo..Glad to hear that you enjoyed map 17..

To keep the ball rolling...

Did 2 more demos for map19. First, a UV-Speed in 2:19. If you like 1% situations...you're gonna really like this demo! It has 2 of them to boot ^_^. After that, I decided to improve my maxdemo of the level as well. Got a 15-second improvement over the last one, making the time for it 4:16. Both demos can easily be improved I imagine (several mistakes/mishaps in each one).

Sending off to Ops now.
Opulent edit:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c219-416az.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c219-219az.zip

12/30/04

OK, I Said I'd start recording the filler maps if no one else did.

Recorded with prboom 2.2.3
cchest2.wad map 4, uv max.
time 17:29

Over 3 minutes slower than my best recording using Legacy. I just have never quite gotten the hang of prboom controls. The map is doom2.exe compatible, by the way. I suggest -timedemo to speed up the misery. My best time is probably in the 13's or slightly better.

There are many mistakes and misses in here that could help to speed things along. I leave with 9 rockets, DUH!

I am sure a decent to good player should be able to do 12's or 13's on it and Doom gods far better.

Anyway, this is the show the map and secrets and is not meant to be a showcase for my talent, or lack of same.

Demo sent to Grazza.

edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/C2041729.zip

I'm working on a UV demo for map 7 but have run into some problems with the level being a little buggy at the end. I am using Prboom 2.0.63a. What happens is that one of the mancubii(?)doesn't transport to the last room. It apparently is stuck or something. Anyways since the Archy doesn't come out until all of the enemies have been killed, he doesn't come out at all and the bars do not raise on the other side of the bridge leading to the transport area. Also one of the secrets (as you come in the door to start the map, it is the secret on the right side of the platform area as you are looking at it from the stairs.)is hit and miss to activate. In Zdoom, I couldn't get it to activate at all. Sometimes I got it to activate on the other side of the platform area. LOL!! I'll try it in version 2.02 and see if that makes a difference. Enjoyable little map though.

I can't recall which ports have Map07 tag linedef issues. Zdoom20.63 does, IIRC.
You could try an earlier version of the port you are using(as you suggested) and that should fix the problem.
your savegames might even translate if you don't go back too far.

I did manage to record a demo in Prboom 2.02. The time is an abysmal 16:42. I tried to improve it right after that, but I got the same problem with the last mancubus failing to transport to the last area. Anyways, I'll send the demo to Opulent.

Unless you use one of the older zdoom stable versions for recording like 1.17 or 1.22 your demo will become useless when the next version update comes out for zdoom. The demo support is pretty bad right now, because they are still tweaking it. I am not sure if the older zdooms had issues with the map 7 tags or not.

I recomend prboom or plain old boom for recording, then we can play it back with some of the other ports, which are mostly interchangeable for demo viewing.

I haven't specifically investigated CC2 map07, but Alien Vendetta also has a map07 issue: tag 667 works as intended with Doom2.exe but not with Zdoom. I did look into that in some detail, and found that in Boom and Prboom the behaviour depends on the compatibility settings.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=503017#post503017

Summary: AV map07 behaves as intended in...

• Prboom 2.2.x with -complevel 0, 1 or 3, but not 5. -complevel 3 is therefore the one to try with a map that uses Boom specials.
  • Prboom 2.2.x with -complevel -1 and the compatibility option "use exactly doom's linedef trigger model = no".
  • Prboom 2.02 (and therefore presumably Boom 2.02, of which Prboom 2.02 is a direct port) with "orig_doom_compatibility 1" (that's equivalent to -complevel 3) in the cfg file, but not with "orig_doom_compatibility 0".
Oh, and threads merged.

On a demo rampage as of late. This time, my target was map17. Did a UV-Speed in 1:29.

Also, since K.Ronge did a UV-Max for this level earlier (which was good I must say) and said it could be improved, I did a UV-Max in 5:29. Under 5-mins? That'd be nice to see. Maybe one of the doomgods out there could do it.

Sending the demos to Ops now.
Opulent edit:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c217-529az.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c217-129az.zip

Anima Zero said:

On a demo rampage as of late. This time, my target was map17. Did a UV-Speed in 1:29.

When I watched that, I got a feeling that the route could be tightened up a fair bit, partly because you get the "speedrunner's friend" (SSG) right at the start. I fiddled around for a while, with this result:

Map17 ("Through the Black" by Andy Leaver) UV Speed in 0:58.

Plenty of scope for improvement.

Aleaver said:

I was worried that no one would find that big secret in the area with the red key..

when I am unable to find a secret for a map I want to record, I just use an editor and look for what triggers it ;)

Im seeing all this discussion about trying to complete map 17 in under 5 min..just wondering if it is a good thing if it can or even can't be done..I guess what i am trying to say is..is the map itself a problem??

Aleaver said:

Im seeing all this discussion about trying to complete map 17 in under 5 min..just wondering if it is a good thing if it can or even can't be done..I guess what i am trying to say is..is the map itself a problem??

The only things that could have been a touch better would be...

A. The mancubi that can roam freely--- These were the enemies that gave Ronge some trouble as he had to wait for one to come into view before he could kill it. I personally didn't have trouble with it (luck probably...).

B. No-see thru cages w/ Cacos--- Not that I had any problem with them, but if something like this happens again, it's usually best just to put one monster in there rather than a pair (with two, like in your map, you'd probably have to listen for both monsters' deaths before going on).

As for getting a sub 5-mins maxdemo...I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. If not, then at least one of the doomgods could try to improve on my maxdemo (after watching it again, I made some small mistakes here and there).

Even so, it was a great map to play and record on ^_^!

Kaiser said:

Heh, I wonder if anyone tried a speedrun on map18...

I'd still like to see runs on my maps in CC1...guess y'all aren't up for a challenge!

DeDo said:

Improved map04 to 10:34. I like that map a lot.
Opulent edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/c2041034.zip

Wow! Improved it? You Kicked it's butt!

Damn nice demo, gutsy and agressive.
COOL!

I am almost stunned by your time, you are playing way over my head. NICE!

I love that map. It is my second favorite out of the series.

Edit:
Nice job fraggin' the fatso by the way. I could only get that to work about one in four times.