Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hyena

Weird Video Games

The weirdest games I've ever played were for the C64 - but that's such a long time ago (and I played LOTS of C64 games back then) that I've forgotten most of them (except the kickass ones - but they weren't really weird).

The only weird game I remember (and I'm pretty sure it was one of the less weird ones too) was an odd fighting game in which one of the enemies was a guy that looked a bit like Ling's Michael Jackson avatar (the reason I remember the game) who would attack by ejaculating on you. Fun stuff :-P

That reminds me-- there's a whole community of people over at c64music.com that remixes old tunes from the SID chip. One such group is called thedeadguys.com and they have some pretty good stuff in there. The Last Ninja(Beatnik Mix), Zak McKracken(Mindbend This) and the Arkanoid one are awesome.

there WAS that Michael Jackson game.. so that was wierd. well at least it didn't involve child rape, maybe you need special codes, but i think you had to save his monkey.

shaq-fu was wierd, and lame, i dont even know why that sold.
alot of the final fantasy games are wierd. play IX, its the wierdest i have ever played anyways. talking hippo women scare me.

Alice was wierd, how could it not be. the book it was based on was wierd to start with.

still mario has to be the strangest.

Sephiroth said:

there WAS that Michael Jackson game.. so that was wierd. well at least it didn't involve child rape, maybe you need special codes, but i think you had to save his monkey.

shaq-fu was wierd, and lame, i dont even know why that sold.
alot of the final fantasy games are wierd. play IX, its the wierdest i have ever played anyways. talking hippo women scare me.

Alice was wierd, how could it not be. the book it was based on was wierd to start with.

still mario has to be the strangest.

Strange.I have all the games you mentioned.

Danarchy said:

There is, of course, Impossible Mission. That game was crazy.

Heh, indeed. Especially with the wierd voices and the yelling as the guy jumps into random pits of death and such.

Project Justice / Rival Schools 2 is freaking surreal.

Probably the weirdest game I've played though is Typing of the Dead.

Parappa the Rapper/Um-Jammer Lammy anyone? Those games were krazy. Wonder where did they get inspiration for flat characters. South park :?

I remember once playing this russian game, where you're a beer bottle in space and you have to shoot at bottles of vodka and beer and crates of wine and etc. with some russian guy singing some soviet-era song in the background. Inbetween each level you can buy alcohol in a bottle shop, to feul up for your next space fight.

Foofoo said:

I remember once playing this russian game, where you're a beer bottle in space and (...)

Thankfully I have my dozen of old PC Mags (great inspiration and nostalgia, calms me down seriously).
That thing was called "The Last Einhof"

"How to be a complete bastard" on the ZX Spectrum was an adventure game where you had to wreck a party by farting, wearing condoms, urinating on people, etc.. A "bastard-meter" measured how stupid you were (doing good things would take points from you "eating yuppie food; lose bastard points").

So far nothing special about it, but what was really weird about the game was that it was played in a 3D environment through two screens that showed the room you were currently in in two different perspectives.

James Pond 2: robocod

Trolls - this was screwed, you fight stationary, but you can only damage anything with a yoyo, infact if you don't have yoyo you pretty much can't get anywhere either.

Are these free for download now or are they still for sale? they were some awsome games.

Dunno if someone mentioned it, but when I got to Cyberspace in SS1.. that was fucking weird on the first tought.

spank said:

"How to be a complete bastard" on the ZX Spectrum was an adventure game where you had to wreck a party by farting, wearing condoms, urinating on people, etc.. A "bastard-meter" measured how stupid you were (doing good things would take points from you "eating yuppie food; lose bastard points").

So far nothing special about it, but what was really weird about the game was that it was played in a 3D environment through two screens that showed the room you were currently in in two different perspectives.

Heh, I remember that. Once I was trying to get points for farting by drinking multiple beers, and I exploded. That game was written by John Cleese, wasn't it? Or directed, or something?

weirdland. you're trying to save your precious "golden toaster" from a mexican mad scientist with an unlimited budget and a sidekick named "taco".

Gogo Ackman! Apparently the first one was released for the super nintendo, but I think it had two sequels that were in Japan only. It was a great 2d sidescroller where you played as Ackman, a little devil guy who was fighting against the angels. It had a great sense of humor, and the bosses were quite often hilarious.

Oh yeah, not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Half-Quake: Amen mod for half-life is insanely creepy and surrealistic. If you're looking for a weird and unsettling atmosphere, look no further.

Thanks everyone. A few notes:

Searching gamefaqs.com gave me one hit for "How to be a Complete Bastard" and it was a commodore 64 game. Didn't see an entry for any other system.

Gamefaqs also did not give me any hits for KKK Adventure, Fuck Quest, The Last Einhof, or Weirdland.

Are any of these Hacks or Mods? I'm looking for games that were actually up on shelves in stores (or in arcades).
For instance, the Hacked version of Megaman, Mega Crap, was pretty weird ("A vicious army of gaybos is bent on destroying your dick") but it's not a real game, just the product of a kid who got his hands on a megaman rom and a hex editor.

It's also possible gamefaqs doesn't have the most complete video game listing in the world. If anyone knows of another site where I can look up information such as the system, publisher, and release year of any game sold over the counter, please let me know.

And finally, I really need to know the name of that C64 game with a Michael Jackson lookalike (especially if you're not exaggerating). It isn't just a port of Moonwalker is it?

No, none of these games were cracks or anything. But the scene wasn't what it's like today: a game that some Swedish 17-year-old made and only had five hard copies could somehow find its way into a California swap meet. Remember, this is back when developers depended on piracy for recognition.

Anyway-- I'd venture that for every one C64 game you see on the shelf, another 500 were made and distributed through other means. We'll still probably be finding old C64 games that people remember 20 years from now.

If you want the most comprehensive list of C64 games, go to the homepage or look up "Lemon C64".

Okay, but are all the games I mentioned there C64 games? As for KKK Adventure, Fuck Quest, The Last Einhof, and Weirdland, I have no idea what systems they're for.
If I know what system they're for, I can probably find my way to getting them.

Edit: Some internet searches generated hits for all of these games except KKK Adventure, and there was only one for Last Einhof which was a Russian site that I needed to translate, in which there wasn't much information at all.
However, the three games I got hits for *appear* to be PC games (Ie, Dos/Windows), in which case I can't really use them.

Danarchy said:

There is, of course, Impossible Mission. That game was crazy.

OH fuck yeah! I used to have the actual cart for the NES. I'm not sure if it was pirated over to the NES or what, but I bought it for like 2 dollars. I used to laugh hysterically when the guy would yell after falling to his death. Also that programming glitch that makes the game impossible to finish, Hence the title, BRILLIANT FUCKING MASTERPIECE!

If we're going to count hacks, then don't forget the Pink Floyd version of Donkey Kong. :P

ravage said:

Have you ever listened to the radio in Streets of SimCity? Or even read the newspapers in SC2k?

I played Streets for a few minutes one day but then quit. The newspapers in SC2K were the best thing ever.

The Dark Eye and Sanitarium. Find the, play them.

Dark Eye puts you in several of Edgar Allen Poes stories, ala the Seventh Guest. Sanitarium is a journey through the mind of an insane man. I think that's enough description.