Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dutch Doomer

tutti frutti bug

Im having problems with some of my wads,they contain some missaligned textures.I have read that this is an so called "tutti frutti bug".I did rebuild the sector that have the errors,that didn't work.I use Zdoom and DooM95 versions to test my wads but in both two versions the textures look missaligned.Altough they look pefectly alligned when im editing with doombuilder.

Im using doombuilder for editing my wads,i really like to know how to fix them.If i use a different editor and load my wad and then save it,if im not misstaken that would fix it wright.
Or is there an easier way to get rid of them.

Please help thx

The "tutti frutti" bug is a weird renderer quirk in vanilla doom(and doom95) that boom removed. What it was and what caused it was if you used a multipatched texture on a 2-sided transparent line's middle texture(s), it would show a huge jumble of weird colors and you fps would go down to about 2 frames per second... on any machine. Now matter how powerful it is, it always slows to about 2 fps. I have absolutely no idea why doom does this. Luckily, boom removed this bug.

Doom Builder can sometimes use improper texture alighnment. Either use the a key to autoalighn, or use DeePsea's texture alighnment(DETH and WadAuthor work too).

Well i have tried the auto allign key allready,and didn't work the problem stays.And your wright all the textures that give me these problems are multilayerd patches all the others look fine.
So im gonna try those editors you described and hope that will do the job,if not im just have to life with it.

MasterOFDeath said:

stuff

What you just described is called the Medusa Effect. Thank god that's gone.

The tutti frutti effect was caused by tiling a texture shorter than 128 units. It wouI believe most (all?) ports have removed that as well.

I believe ZDBSP can affect texture alighnment. Try another node builder.

Amaster said:

The tutti frutti effect was caused by tiling a texture shorter than 128 units.

Wasn't it tiling textures that are not powers of 2?

boris said:

Wasn't it tiling textures that are not powers of 2?

No. It really was 128. The value was hard coded into the rendering loop. Some port did the easy 'fix' and replaced this with a power of 2 if they didn't want to rewrite the code to handle any height.

Problem solved i used an differend nodesbuilder and that fixed my texture problem.
My wads look awesome now,all textures look perfectly allighned.
i couldn't have done this without any help from you guys.

MasterOFDeath said:

The "tutti frutti" bug is a weird renderer quirk in vanilla doom(and doom95) that boom removed. What it was and what caused it was if you used a multipatched texture on a 2-sided transparent line's middle texture(s), it would show a huge jumble of weird colors and you fps would go down to about 2 frames per second... on any machine. Now matter how powerful it is, it always slows to about 2 fps. I have absolutely no idea why doom does this. Luckily, boom removed this bug.

No, you're getting the tutti fruity effect mixed up with the medusa effect.

Tutti fruity is caused by using a patch on a wall, be it upper, normal, or lower that is taller than that texture (or something of the sort). Placing step textures on a normal wall would produce this effect, and without any slowdowns i might add. Placing a 72x64 door texture on a wall 128 units tall would also yield the same effects.

The medusa effect, although somewhat similar to tutti fruity, was created in the case you described.

EDIT: BAH, Assmaster beat me to it 8 days ago. I fail. :(