Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swin70

IPXSETUP problem (sendPacket) on Win XP machine for Doom 2 multiplay

Hi,

This is a wild stab in the dark to see if someone can help. The kids love to playing Doom 2 between two computers on our home LAN and did so for a while. Now though when then they run IPXSETUP on the newer Win XP machine, we get the following : -

Communicating with interrupt vector 0x62
Attempting to find all players for 2 player net play. Press ESC to exit.
Looking for a node.SendPacket: 0x60

(The last Hex number is sometimes different.)

At this point the IPXSETUP command ceases instead of continuing the seaching process. However, if the second machine happens to be running IPXSETUP at the same time, it seems to register the fact that a node is found, but then continues to search as of course the first IPXSETUP has crashed.

I'm guessing that there is a problem in sending another IPX packet that causes IPXSETUP to crash. Although I'm up on TCP/IP, I have no idea about IPX problems.

Just to try things up I thought I'd run IPXSETUP on my machine that also runs Win XP. I Installed IPX on the LAN connection and ran IPXSET. However all I get is this : -

C:\>ipxsetup

-------------------------------
DOOM NETWORK DEVICE DRIVER v1.1
IPX not detected

This actuallly used to hapen on the other WIn XP machine, but after uninstalling the network adapters etc, I at least managed to get IPXSETUP to run even though it crashed. Now I'm really confused

Has anyone got a clue on where to start??

Chris

Doom 2 doesnt work on Windows XP. If you want to play on LAN, the best and closest to Doom 2 is ZDoom. See their forums or its wiki for the command line parameters or launchers. You will need to doom2.wad from the original game.

Many thanks for this. I am just getting to gripps with all the different ports avalibale. Someone did tell me that although they liked ZDoom, it had no network capabilities.

The odd this is that Doom 2 works fine on our XP machines. The IPXSETUP command also used to work correctly so that they could play multiplayer on the home LAN. But now it seems to have stopped working.

Chris

ZDoom does have network capabilities, although it's not as close to Doom2 as people say. You can use PrBoom to play on LAN, or even over the net, too. But other engines will work on a LAN as well, such as (but not limited to) Doom Legacy, WinDoom (an almost true port to Windows), or even Doom95 (as long as you're not a mouse user.)

I never managed to run IPX games under Win XP. Even some DirectX IPX games refused to connect.

All I could do is run fakenet to play some net1 games.

Hmm thats odd it works on my machine. Make sure you have the IPX protocol installed in the Networking Control Panel. Also it doom2 ipx games don't run over wireless in ad hoc mode.

Hi.

This is a bit of a late update but may help others.

After fiddling with about 4 or 5 XP installations, all displayed the same problems and showed the following message even though IPX protocol was installed

C:\>ipxsetup

DOOM NETWORK DEVICE DRIVER v1.1
IPX not detected

I decided not only to install the IPX protocol but also the Client for Novell Network Services (if you install this, it will automatically install the IPX protocol anyhow). You then have to reboot the computer and select “none” for the server to connect to on start up. Then, magically, most of the installation ran IPXSetup with no problem. Oddly, you can then remove the Novell client and IPXSetup will continue to work. Why it doesn’t work in the first place I don’t know, I guess installing the client adds certain values to the registry that are then not removed when you remove the client.

The strange thing is that the system I had problems with, continued to display a problem. Even after uninstalling the IPX protocol, reinstalling and installing the client for Novell, this system still gives the SendPacket error. My guess is that some of the registry values have been screwed up for some reason or other, but it could be a number of other reasons. As stated earlier, this system “used” to work fine, then one day it didn’t.

Still, as suggested in other posts, I have now moved the kids to Doom Legacy that has TCP/IP networking and a few other better features.

Chris