Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RottingZombie

How to replace/add monsters?

I know someone who could probably make some badass enemy sprites, but I'm a clueless douche who knows nothing about sprite editing. So I ask of you hte following:

1. How Do I extract the sprites? I have XWE if that'd do the trick.

2. Do I replace current monster's frames, or can I add new ones? (Compatible with doom2.exe preferably).

3. Do I have to replace ALL of a monster's frames, or would less/more BE OK?

4. I forgot my last question again.

RottingZombie said:

I know someone who could probably make some badass enemy sprites, but I'm a clueless douche who knows nothing about sprite editing. So I ask of you hte following:

2. Do I replace current monster's frames, or can I add new ones? (Compatible with doom2.exe preferably).

1. Can't remember how to do it with XWE. Probably consists of selecting something then doing "save as file" or something. At least that's how it's done in WinTex.

2. Well if you're just going to replace a monster's sprites then yeah. If not, I think you have to conform to some sort of naming scheme. Like xxxA1-xxxA8 (move/shoot frames from different angles), then do that through F, and then G-P are the death frames. I'm looking at a heretic monster right now that I made, but I think Doom has less. Like only 4 frames (which are mirrored) and half as many death frames or something. That's the way you do it with a decorate.lmp, otherwise you have to just write over the existing sprites (AFAIK).

3. Well if you don't replace them all, then the older frames will suddenly appear when the monster is in a direction/action that you don't have frames for. I guess you could replace all the frames of one position with the frames of one direction (like if you wanted the monster to always appear looking at a player. I think you can bypass this with ZDoom's decorate.lmp though. I think you can add more frames, but not with doom2.exe.

4. Hoorj

RottingZombie said:

Hey.

1. You highlight the frame you want, click ENTRY, SAVE AS.

2. You can't add new ones if you use Doom2.exe or Boom or something, I'm clueless on how to do this...but yes, you only replace a monsters existing frames.

3. Use some common sense man...If you have less, there will occasionally be the original monsters frame displayed, when doing actions you don't have frames for, and you can't have any NEW frames for an existing monster, because you're replacing frames in the first place, and can't replace something that's not there (or so they say...).

4. Remember, you're replacing frames, so, when you first extract (all of) the Imps frames for example, when you want to put new animations back in, they have to be named exactly the same.

5. If you need help putting new sprites into a WAD file, click Help, Contents, Basic WAD editing operations, How do I import a new sprite?

6. You have the very latest XWE, right?

You CAN replace the sprites in doom(2).exe, you just have to use a program along the lines of DEUSF to add all the other sprites to the wad or else doom will crash.

gemini09 said:

Hey.

3. Use some common sense man...If you have less, there will occasionally be the original monsters frame displayed, when doing actions you don't have frames for, and you can't have any NEW frames for an existing monster, because you're replacing frames in the first place, and can't replace something that's not there (or so they say...).

I thought so! But It'd be stupid for me to assume and not ask before I get started ;) Thanks.

MasterOFDeath said:

You CAN replace the sprites in doom(2).exe, you just have to use a program along the lines of DEUSF to add all the other sprites to the wad or else doom will crash.

But if I made a pwad that contained sprites in the same name as say the imp's frames, would I need DEUSF (which I've used a couple times on downloaded wads)? No I assume, since I've played pwads that replaced guns, monsters etc.

Anway, thanks for the good posts & help.

I'm nearing the finish of my first map (I've attempted editing in the past only to get 'mappers' block and not be able to think of anything past two rooms) and looking to learn more about Doom editing.