Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gamerking104040

Don't like the monster

All the monsters are great.. it's just that some are often used incorrectly by the WAD authors.. So I'm more likely to get mad at the #$%& who placed the monsters so annoyingly, or who misused the monsters.

Besides, we always end up killing them anyway (the monsters, not the WAD authors, heh) so they should by all rights hate us...

Darky- Don't You ever get bored with these Impse jokes? :/

Archon- I tought a man drinks coffee, doesn't smell it :|

Monster-I hate chaingunners. They are everywhere and it takes couple shots to kill You.

Kristian Ronge said:

All the monsters are great.. it's just that some are often used incorrectly by the WAD authors.. So I'm more likely to get mad at the #$%& who placed the monsters so annoyingly, or who misused the monsters.

exactly. i like monster placement like in iikka keränen's levels, big baddies in cramped places, but still just enough to kill them if you don't let them trap you in a corner.

conversely, open levels with no cover but lots of chaingunners shooting you from away, or archviles behind fake walls are a pain in the ass.

Torr Samaho said:
exactly. i like monster placement like in iikka keränen's levels, big baddies in cramped places, but still just enough to kill them if you don't let them trap you in a corner.

Interesting.. I've always considered just this perhaps Iikka's weakest point in level-design; "childish" monster usage/placement. To each his own, I guess. :-)

or picking up a key and all the walls open up, and there's a ring of chaingunners around you. you can pretty much expect things like that to happen in plutonia.

Isn't that part of the game? I think all monsters are cool. Oh well, everyone has their own views.

XXoXX said:

Isn't that part of the game? I think all monsters are cool. Oh well, everyone has their own views.

Yeah, if it's part of the game and helps to add variety, make it better or whatever i can't really argue.

But if i had to pick one it would be baphomet (aka the wall aka romero on a stick).

Kristian Ronge said:

Interesting.. I've always considered just this perhaps Iikka's weakest point in level-design; "childish" monster usage/placement. To each his own, I guess. :-)

personal preference i guess. anyway, it's the most challenging way to use the big monsters. many times they're pathetically easy to kill in open spaces, but in a cramped hallway you're forced to act carefully. requiem map13 came to mind when i wrote that. you have to stay close to them so they try to punch and don't walk on pushing you into a dead end, or play the corner game against them.

The only one I don't like is the Hell Knight, because it's too much like the Baron. It looks the same and serves the same function, it's just a little easier to kill. It doesn't really add anything to the game.

Not Jabba said:
It doesn't really add anything to the game.

It's there only because it adds something to the game, properly speaking; with the addition of the SSG, they needed an intermediate monster with standard attacks to keep the quick game speed going without a disbalance. Effectively, both monsters (Barons and knights) are of the same species and won't attack each other; thus they integrated the slight variant coherently.

The DOOM games use economic repetition pretty elegantly. It may seem "cheap" to some, but as long as the result is solid and the variation is overall susbstantial, it's much better than a waste of development energy on superficial and eclectic things that have no purpose other than being novel.

Oh, I hate all the monsters with more or less equal antipathy; they unanimously seem quite persistently desirous of harming me in the utmost fashion.

myk said:
Oh, I hate all the monsters with more or less equal antipathy; they unanimously seem quite persistently desirous of harming me in the utmost fashion.

Miguel, your English is ... poetry. :-)

All are nothing.

Of course they could never compare to UT's godlike bots, but even THEY suck.

I don't understand why you people see Pain Elementals as a challenge. I could easily pump their fat asses full of ammo before they can spit out their cheesy souls. :D

You're hearing this from someone who has beaten the trilogy on Ultra-Violence, mind you.

Nightmare is simply impossible. You can get past some of the early levels, but eventually it is just not manageable.

Crack in the Box said:

Nightmare is simply impossible. You can get past some of the early levels, but eventually it is just not manageable.

On the contrary, all levels of Doom2 are possible on Nightmare.

Not if you're like me and really don't think it's a valid finish if you die just so you can finish. I'm not debating the Compet-N rules, but I don't consider pn12, for example, to be done yet.

I've come to dispise the Spider Mastermind after poking around Plutonia on UV.

"Here's a pistol, go kill that giant thing in the courtyard that has the Chaingun."

I just don't like it anymore.