Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epistax

Doom Movie Info

It's official: it's going to suck. Here's a bit:

Well, Doom won't be set on Mars. The monsters have nothing to do with Hell. Space marines are SWAT teams. The monsters will, apparently, be people mututated by a secret virus.

And the article is http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20044.

Have fun :P

Edit: I'm waiting for someone to counter this article. Please, someone?

Oh good, why?

When I first heard their was a Doom movie I was very enthusiastic, ignoring the statements of sceptics and looking forward to the 12/15 certificated outcome.

I even kept my faith when The Rock was announced to be in the movie.

Alas, it was all in vain.

Oh well, at least Doom3 wasn't such a let down.

Darkstalker said:

And they renamed BFG to Bio Force Gun ?

Not necessarily a bad thing - they could still have someone in the movie nickname it "Big Freakin' Gun".

When I first heard their was a Doom movie I was very enthusiastic, ignoring the statements of sceptics and looking forward to the 12/15 certificated outcome.

I even kept my faith when The Rock was announced to be in the movie.

Alas, it was all in vain.

Don't tell me you're surprised.

Well, I don't see why you are all complaining:

1) What does it matter if it is not on Mars? It's not like Mars and other planets are any different.
2) Space Marines are practically SWAT, they will not be different in many ways, they will even have the same sort of uniform.
3) It never said the pinky was a guy in a wheelcar, it said that pinky mutates from a man in a wheel chair, so, expect it to look a lot like the pinky, maybe they meet the guy in the wheelchair, and he starts to get more and more demonic?
4) I admit, the whole idea about demons not coming from hell is a huge let down, Doom is about demons from hell, not some super virus... But still, lets see how it turns out.

Unconscious said:

Well, I don't see why you are all complaining:

1) What does it matter if it is not on Mars? It's not like Mars and other planets are any different.
2) Space Marines are practically SWAT, they will not be different in many ways, they will even have the same sort of uniform.
3) It never said the pinky was a guy in a wheelcar, it said that pinky mutates from a man in a wheel chair, so, expect it to look a lot like the pinky, maybe they meet the guy in the wheelchair, and he starts to get more and more demonic?
4) I admit, the whole idea about demons not coming from hell is a huge let down, Doom is about demons from hell, not some super virus... But still, lets see how it turns out.

The Mars thing doesn't bother me, but the SWAT thing does. SWAT is an elite police force, Marines are military. The military outfit is what makes Marines cool in the Doom games.

The Pinky guy thing is just dumb. In the Doom games, it's just one "species" of demons, but if there's only one "pinky" in Doom 3, it'll mean that you won't get the cool "pinky bull rush" situations that you got in the classic Doom games (it sucks that these situations never really got ported over to D3) - no small crowds of pinkies rushing at the human characters in the movie >:-[
That, and the entire idea just sounds retarded to my ears.

The suggestion that the demons are not from Hell pisses me off way more than you would believe - it was bad enough in the novels, but now the movie is gonna fuck that up too? Doom is about Hell, about pure evil unleashed, about fucking Hell demons - this whole virus thing just has nothing to do with Doom. At all.

I can see why they'd do it though - Hell demons are scary and Hollywood are too much a bunch of pussies to try and aim this movie at an adult crowd, so they're dumbing down the Doom demons and making them mutants (because non-scary Hell demons just won't seem "convincing").

Unconscious said:

It never said the pinky was a guy in a wheelcar, it said that pinky mutates from a man in a wheel chair, so, expect it to look a lot like the pinky, maybe they meet the guy in the wheelchair, and he starts to get more and more demonic?

Pinky is the guys name.... and he's in a wheelchair and later gets turned into a muntant whatever. Anyways I'm thinking Disorder is right that the original article that is in Czech (or whatever) is a fake / parody of the Doom film, especially when you check out the pictures involved. heh

Well, Still, hopefully, that review is untrue. I will so miss out on hordes of demons... And because it is a virus film, we better expect to see a lot more zombies than demons. :(

gamerking104040 said:

Its starting to sound like resident evil the movie but different in some places. Also is the rock still playing the doom guy.

No, and he was never going to. He is in the movie, but he's not playing the main character - that would be Karl Urban (he was in the Two Towers). The Rock will be playing Sarge.

dsm said:

Don't tell me you're surprised.

Nope, but I was hoping for a Doom movie, even if it sucked gopher nuts.

After looking at the report, guessing what some of the words mean in english and a careful and detailed analysis of the screens, I declare this source 'fake.'

I am often wrong.

Janderson said:

Nope, but I was hoping for a Doom movie, even if it sucked gopher nuts.

After looking at the report, guessing what some of the words mean in english and a careful and detailed analysis of the screens, I declare this source 'fake.'

I am often wrong.

I think your right. As bad as the Doom movie is going to be, surely it won't be this bad. heh.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT (and all that is true):

I give my official OK to this movie. Why? Well, normally, like pretty much all of you out there, I would be ticked/disgusted after hearing that my favorite game was finally getting a movie, only it's only similar to the game in a couple of ways. However, they do still stick with the basic spirit of the game, and the big names that are attatched to the project basically ensure that the movie won't totally suck.

Yeah, at first, reading about the "bio force gun" and "SWAT team-esque marine uniforms" and aliens instead of demons made me sick (though I wasn't surprised). But then I realised -- wait a second... I've heard of that actor, and that actor, and that one, and they're all in really successful movies! It won't be "classic" DOOM, but with the spirit intact and a pretty decent crew, I think I'm actually going to like this... Not the same way I'd be into it if it were more true to the original but the same way I like RTC-3057 for ZDoom.

Besides, I don't know if you guys have read or not, but I've heard the last big section of the film is shot in first-person mode. Could be good, could be bad -- I look forward to it.

I agree.

This is unacceptable. It's not like these are minor changes that won't make much difference. What we're facing, if this news is true and not false, is merely Resident Evil set in outer space. And we all know, as people who play Doom, that Resident Evil and Doom do NOT mix. They didn't spend 4 FUCKING YEARS on DOOM 3 as well as incorperating the original story into the game just to have a movie about the events in the game COMPLETELY OFF of what DOOM is. I don't care if they think the changes are "Better" or "Appeal to christian audiences better", this is DOOM, and it should stay that way. This is completely fucking stupid. Sure, there were no doubts that the movie might have ended up sucking, but atleast if it sucks it could be about DOOM, not fucking RESIDENT EVIL RIPOFFS.

Try to see it from my perspective:

DOOM is DOOM, the PC game. This movie is simply fan fiction, much like RTC-3057. Just because it's not exactly how you think of the DOOM you love, it still might turn out to be good.

And, like I said before, even if the movie's not your cup of tea, the names attatched to it all point to a high probability that it will be of pretty high production value.

It's more than likely going to be an OK movie. Chill.

Well there's some people that don't settle for less, and would prefer if things were left the way they should be. No one cares about a Fan Fiction Doom movie, people want a movie about DOOM. Shit, a movie based on DOOM 3's storyline was an excellent idea. The fact that you're trying to be patient with them and accept what (we think) is happening with the movie is admirable, but unfortunately there's those of us who were looking forward to this movie, and now they've gone (we think) and fucked it up completely. There may be fanfictions but you don't mess with the original storyline and the way it was meant to be. You especially don't go off and rip off another shitty movie franchise and use the same basic idea for a good story which the original ideas for it were better anyway. I'm sorry but the demons being infected humans is absolutely fucking idiotic. That's not Doom, at all. Especially if there's nothing to do with Hell. If the information we've been given is true we are no longer the DOOM universe but a completely different place where the monsters just happen to look like DOOM monsters.

People who say this movie is going to turn out good or even alright obviously doesnt have much knowledge of how crap movies in general seem to be getting. And i have never EVER seen a good computer game movie. Ever. They all miraculously suck complete ball.

Foofoo said:

People who say this movie is going to turn out good or even alright obviously doesnt have much knowledge of how crap movies in general seem to be getting. And i have never EVER seen a good computer game movie. Ever. They all miraculously suck complete ball.

I wasn't born yesterday -- of course I realize game-movies are horrible (generally).

My point in saying this will likely be an "OK" movie is related to the idea that there are names associated with this film that most game-movies don't get. And brands that most game-movies don't get. Two or three Lord of the Rings vets are in this, a guy from the latest Bourne movie... heck, The Rock. I don't like him, but I'm saying he's a BIG NAME and there's no way he would've signed onto this if his agent (or whatever) didn't believe this movie was going to be pretty big.

Mogul said:

Try to see it from my perspective:

DOOM is DOOM, the PC game. This movie is simply fan fiction, much like RTC-3057. Just because it's not exactly how you think of the DOOM you love, it still might turn out to be good.

Uh but there's a difference here. RTC-3057 does not try to retell Doom. It's a story made up by fans that takes place after the originals.
The movie, on the other hand, is supposed to be based on the game(s).

Also, there's a difference in the quality of fan fiction. It'll instantly have a negative impact on my perception of a fan fic if the author described the demons as virus infected people that got mutated into monsters.
So if we assume this movie is a fan fic and hypothetically assume these fake news were true, it's one piece of horrible fan fic right there.

I've heard them curse in movies before. So I doubt they'd go all mommas little pussy and call it Big Freaking Gun.

As for the news it self, I don't really know what to think of it. I mean, we've seen our share of stupid interpetations before.

And whoever said that big names makes for good movies need his head checked.

Stellan Skarsgård and Samuel L Jackson were acting in Deep blue sea. I'll just leave it at that.

Unconscious said:

Why are you all so pissed off about the bio force gun? Its the BFG for christ sake, who cares if it has a new name?

NO one messess with the BIG FUCKING GUN!

It was never called that.

In the manual, for ALL the doom games, it just said BFG... Big Fucking Gun was just made up by some player, not by ID.

When do you use even half of those weapons listed? Most them don't even appear or are mentioned in Doom at all.

Grazza said:

No, "Big Fucking Gun" was in the Doom Bible. It's official.

Oh, yeah, sure, a knife is sure in Doom. Who made the bible? Some random guy, I believe only what ID tells me.