Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unconscious

Halfway To Hell

Well,

I've been planning to do this full on 32 level conversion for Doom Legacy, but it's not really a one man job, if you know what I mean?
Halfway To Hell is for Doom Legacy, with all multiplayer capibilitys new monsters, weapons, and textures.

I am looking for the following:

Texture Artist/s
Level Designers
Mappers
And someone who is capable of inserting sprites into a wad and turning it into a fully functional monster/ weapon.

If you are interested, post here with your contact details, and anything else I might need to know. ;)

Before someone comes here with teh /newproject tag

Hey man, nice to hear, but do You have any screenshots, resources, some stuff to show us, maybe a story-line? You gotta somehow attract people to help You. There are many floating projects that need artists and such, does Your project have anything that makes it special or something?

(BTW, Level Designer = Mapper -_- )

Ah, Yes, Of course.

I haven't got any pictures, because the first level was badly done, so we had to change it over to Doom legacy...

Storyline:
Following of the invasion on mars, you start to head back to Earth. Cut's and bruises cover your face, once you land you open up the door, to see chaos, utter, complete, chaos, you obviously hadn't killed the source of the invasion back in hell.
Immediantly you start to head back to headquarters...

I am still working on a proper storyline.
I meant level designer as in, they think of the ideas, etc, and the mappers make those ideas into a map, so, think of them as brainstormers.
The thing that will make this modification special is that it may have driveable vehicles. Its features are:
Coop
DM
and SP.

We are aiming for a dark game, full of horror, suspence, and tricks. ;)

Unconscious said:

... because the first level was badly done, so we had to change it over to Doom legacy...

But changing your map over to Doom Legacy won't make it any better, YOU have to make it better.

Oh dear.

Start off with something less ambitious that you can handle on your own, and work up from that step-by-step. A single map. Then try adding some new graphics perhaps. Then try adding some more advanced gameplay features perhaps.

Then, who knows, you might find people who want to work with you on something more ambitious.

If you have already made some maps, why not link to them?

I don't think many Legacy mappers hang around DW. You might want to try Newdoom instead.

# To Grazz.

I have quite a bit expierence with mapping, if you read my actual post, just above yours, you will get your answer... I got pissed off with zdoom, because of the lack of features, so I am turning over to legacy.

NiGHTMARE said:

What the hell, ZDoom has more editing features than any two other ports combined.

He presumably is talking about ralistic 3d floors that Zdoom lacks in. Newbs will look into such rather than ACS scripting or slopes.

Grazza said:

Oh dear.
Start off with something less ambitious that you can handle on your own, and work up from that step-by-step. A single map. Then try adding some new graphics perhaps. Then try adding some more advanced gameplay features perhaps.

Lol! I need to say that something like that happened with R-1. We started it out as a mere System Shock 2 conversion for Doom, later the project got off to a mod inspired by SS, now.. It grew so much that it's greater than I could even imagine :D Do You clasify that less ambitious growing to more ambitious? ;)

Look, this isn't about Legacy VS Zdoom, for fuck sake, this is about my Modification. Now, Shut the hell up about Zdoom, I'm not going back to it, it hasn't got decent 3d platforms, or decent 3d water.

No need for vulgar words, moron.

And for Your information..
Zdoom has deep water, and a whole lot of features. If they don't convince You I'll mentiond-that Zdoom is much less buggy than Legacy. And it's not only my opinion.

If You want to exchange Your againsts and fors about Zdoom, and why do You think it sucks I invite You to our forum:
forum.zdoom.org

And then next version does have 3d sectors (no fake bridges) and custom weapons support, so if you wait, you too can have all the features of zdoom, + those 2 new ones.

So you can also have your 3d floors.

I never said it sucks, I enjoy playing maps on it, I changed to Legacy for 2 reasons:

1) To use Wad'A'Holic's tool FRAG.
2) 3d Platforms are easier.
3) Same with 3d water.
4) It was the first source port I had ever used.

Although slopes are incredibly complex in Zdoom, it is not quite what I want with other features.

Nmn said:

He presumably is talking about ralistic 3d floors that Zdoom lacks in. Newbs will look into such rather than ACS scripting or slopes.

Please don't typecast those/us who use 3d floors as newbs. 3d floors are great in their own way, just as slopes in zdoom are. I would be met with a similar statement if I said that newbs tend to look into slopes in favour of X feature of another port.

I recommend you make the megawad for ZDoom if you're going to have new monsters and weapons. Many people don't use Legacy either.

iori said:

Please don't typecast those/us who use 3d floors as newbs.

Ofcourse not,
but from my experience, people choosing sourceports to edit for usually look at architectural capabilities of source ports. It is commonly known that Doom is a 2d game, so many people will go for the true "3d". I have asked several people on this subject (which are not related to Doom editing tough..) and 10 out of 13 would pick Legacy, 2 Jdoom.
As has been stated, Zdoom has MORE editing features. Wether they are BETTER than Legacy's I leave for thou to decide :)
You already know my opinion.

Can we please stop discussing Legacy VS Zdoom? I am not changing back to Zdoom until there is legacy styled 3d floors. End of story.

I don't care which port he use, Legacy or Zdoom, they both run great for me anyway.

Just wanted to mention that "Frag" is about to come with a ACS version. This is AFAIK partially because Legacy will have ACS in the near future. But I dunno, ask Wadaholic if you're intrested in the reasons. (If anyone wonder, yes Legacy will still have FS for the sake of backwards compitability)

For the sake of arguing though. Why not use Eternity? It's portals make for some very impressive architecture aswell as it's EDF system being very flexible. Soon Small will be included so scripting will be top notch. It also have these terrain type thing that I never fiddled with but always sounded cool to me. (That was way back) I would really like to see more Eternity projects.

Yes, I am fully aware of what Wad'a'Holics is up to, seeming as I host his forums... I might be able to squeeze myself into Source Demon, i'm going to ask him.

And no, it is because many people (Me Especially) asked for a Zdoom version of frag...

Unconscious said:

slopes are incredibly complex in Zdoom

What? Slopes are quite easy to do.

Any luck finding anyone? And did you ask for help over at Newdoom (=Legacy Central) as I suggested? :)

I thought complex meant attractive, damn, I see what I did, I meant:
The Slopes in Zdoom look incredibly complex.

I haven't gone to NewDoom yet.

NiGHTMARE said:

Any luck finding anyone? And did you ask for help over at Newdoom (=Legacy Central) as I suggested? :)

We're the same about n00bs and their big super overambitous projects as you lot are here so don't go giving people ideas. They'll be given EXACTLY the same advice you lot have just said. ;) Although, yes, it's usually best to ask at the site where the port is hosted and it's forum is located. Common sense is also lacking in n00bs these days.

Now, Shut the hell up about Zdoom, I'm not going back to it

Hehe, that's what I said mate, then I actually bothered to learn ACS though I've got a bad case of mappers block now.:p

Ok, I've just spoken to Axems Kingdom, one of my mappers, and he thinks we should change it back to Zdoom, he had some fair points that I could not argue against.

So, Halfway To Hell is now a Zdoom project.