Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Johnatone

Third Party Internet Browsers

Well, as if the fun of dropping out of high school wasn't enough, my mom woke my ass up today to 'fix the computer.' In other words, run the virus scanner and spyware detector, clean up the computer and return everything to normal. Oddly enough, my dad also enjoys angrily ranting and raving about all the viruses and spyware and spam and shit, and does a good deal of blaming it on me (sometimes rightfully). It's funny how not only am I the only one who actually checks for that shit reguarally, I'm the only one who knows how to do it. Heh, technocrats.

Anyway, I'm about fed up with this shit, and I've decided Internet Explorer has to go. Six years of this shit is too much. There are plently of third party browsers avaliable, much more stable, much more reliable, and much less of a target for that shit. Which is why I'm here.

Most of you are knowledgeable (note I didn't say all of you) in the fields of computer technology, and a lot of you use third party (or first, or whatever, I'm just being generic) browsers.

I'd like some recommendations on what I should replace IE with (most notably after I reformat the hard drive, as that seems to be the only way to correct some of the problem). I'll do a fair bit of reseaching myself (and possibly talk it over with my family, even if they don't know what the hell they're talking about). Please, though, no excessive flaming on others, stick to the subject. I know some of you don't like what others use, but acting like adolescents on an internet forum isn't going to change it. :P

To me, Firefox seems far too good to be true. I'm convinced the world will eventually find out that there's something majorly wrong with it, something which will make the problems with IE pale in comparison.

True, NiGHTMARE, true, they might.

I'm downloading the exes for Firefox and Mozilla right now, and I'll check some others, but I might as well give my dad at least some say so on the issue, since he did pay for the computer (and he is the one who told me when Firefox was released). Either way, one of them will rein in IE's place. I have a lot of respect for that scene in the South Park movie right now.

I suffered almost a month with Firefox. That browser and all its bugs and horrid coding drove me back to IE like a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches. It might be tolerable if you have a 2GHz+ computer with 512+ MB RAM, otherwise don't even consider it. I have never appreciated IE so much in my entire life.

Lüt said:

I suffered almost a month with Firefox. That browser and all its bugs and horrid coding drove me back to IE like a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches. It might be tolerable if you have a 2GHz+ computer with 512+ MB RAM, otherwise don't even consider it. I have never appreciated IE so much in my entire life.

I agree with that. While Firefox is nice on faster computers, it's a pain to use on older systems.

As for web browsers, I'd recommend either Firefox (despite the "problems" it has) and Opera.

I use Opera myself, and I highly recommend it. Sure, you'll have to live with a banner ad unless you pay for it, but there are "fixes" for that ;)

I just downloaded, installed, and am using Firefox. Don't have any complaints yet.

Lüt said:

It might be tolerable if you have a 2GHz+ computer with 512+ MB RAM, otherwise don't even consider it.

Suddenly I realize a 2.66 GHz processor is nice, even if it is a Celeron.

Lüt said:

It might be tolerable if you have a 2GHz+ computer with 512+ MB RAM, otherwise don't even consider it. I have never appreciated IE so much in my entire life.

I dunno about you, but Firefox works flawless on my p2 233 and k6 433. :S

i have never had any issues with mozilla/fire fox. i was a bit untrusting at first, but then i tried it out. works great.
i have never had an major issues with it. i have run it on 350Mhz systems with 64MB ram and i run it on my dual 2400+ system.

i have run into few pages that have issues with fire fox.

as far as security goes there is little spyware that affects in and it stops 99% of popups. however i am sure as it grows spammers and spyware makers will find ways to deal with fire fox. however with that many people working on firefox i am sure they will be limited.

either way it works great and is worth a try.

I have Opera, Firefox, and the old Netscape v4.78 on my computer and only use IE as a last result when a shitty site won't comply with anything else. Also, do not attempt to uninstall IE. Delete all icons and shortcuts to it if you want, but don't attempt to actually remove the program or else Windows will be screwed up and need to be reinstalled.

Lüt said:

I suffered almost a month with Firefox. That browser and all its bugs and horrid coding drove me back to IE like a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches. It might be tolerable if you have a 2GHz+ computer with 512+ MB RAM, otherwise don't even consider it.

I have a 2.6Ghz with 512 RAM...

...and it still sucks. And no, I'm not on dialup. I don't even remember why I got it in the first place. Therefore, I use IE.

I also recommend Opera. Very rarely has it ever crashed on me, and when it did it had the ability to go right back where it left off.

never had a major problem with IE. aside from like 2 or 3 bouts of spyware.

when i installed firefox, it RAPED my computer's file associations and it doesnt let me press ctrl-tab to select the address bar. for those reasons i uninstalled it. hell if i dont got no problems with ie, why switch?

Am I the only person who doesn't get swamped with spyware? I use IE... I don't really take any major precautions... and my PC is always fine.

I use Firefox now. It feels slower than IE on my P2 350mhz, especially when opening the first window, but I don't have to put up with all the IE "diseases".

I'm another Firefox user, though I will note that it can hog up the system resources sometimes.

Mozilla is a lot similar to Firefox, I'm not sure of the significant differences.

I tried Opera and didn't like it much.

I have no idea about anything else.

ActiveX/Java controls off. IE now safe to use. Use ActiveX/Java only on trusted sites.

FireFox is the way to go. I've had it since I got my computer (little less than a year) and I've been VERY happy with it.

I'd definitely recommend it over Mozilla for a few reasons. I've had a worse time with Mozilla that I have FireFox, so I'd just recommend you get FireFox over Mozilal :-/