Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Hexen goodness

I found this just a few minutes ago and thought I share it for all those Hexen fans out there. Appearantly someone is making a Total Conversions (TC) of Hexen or some Hexen based mod for Doom 3. Take a look at their main website

I already saw that site a while ago, but it seems they've got new screenshots - those new screenies look very promising. The Wraithverge, at least, makes a return in this mod.

/Me hopes and prays the Fighter class will return complete with the fighter's entire, unspoiled arsenal.

That lantern could be the HeXen version of D3's flashlight - I wonder if you can attack with it somehow.

Wow. Those are some beautiful screenies. I never was big on Hexen (well, Hexen 2 I liked a bit) but this definitely has piqued my interest.

I like that lantern. The model for Wraithverge also looks pretty good - and the best part is, they have the go ahead from Raven (according to the news section). Man, I wish I had Doom 3 now.

I never played Hexen but these screens look great, really impressive compared to most other mods floating around. Too bad they want to use Doom3 monsters, the d3 baddies mostly suck and blow as far as I'm concerned. Can't really blame them though, it's too much fucking work.

Very nice indeed. I wish I had a computer capable of running Doom3 and Doom3 itself, cause I'm a fairly big fan of Hexen.

It looks like they have quite a bit of ambition for that mere 2-to-3 month timetable they have set up... especially when the team is comprised of mostly art people (coders?). I hope it turns out okay because those screenshots look nice. :)

EDIT: doom3 monsters in a medieval setting is kinda strange too, eh.

dsm said:

/Me hopes and prays the Fighter class will return complete with the fighter's entire, unspoiled arsenal.

Of three weapons....

Personally I hope they use their imagination and come up with some new stuff (or base it on classic Raven ideas like the phoenix, storms, mace balls etc). 4 weapons in total was just too little even back then. Though at least the flechettes and repulsors broke up the repetition a bit.

Of course, that still means I want to see Timon's Axe come back.

DaJuice said:

I ...Too bad they want to use Doom3 monsters, the d3 baddies mostly suck and blow as far as I'm concerned. Can't really blame them though, it's too much fucking work.

Are you sure? Maybe the Doom baddies are just replacements, until they've done some new monsters.

chilvence said:

Of course, that still means I want to see Timon's Axe come back.

And the Quietus and the gauntlets :-P
The Hammer of Retribution I can survive without though as long as it's replaced by a limited ranged weapon that's totally bitching rad.

Personally, I'd prefer they used their imagination on the appearance of the weapons - the basic concepts are awesome, but both the gauntlets, Timon's axe and the Quietus could've been designed to look far cooler.

Make the Quietus a huge, two-handed ornate sword with a black blade and I'll get all mushy :-P

As for new weapon ideas, I thought of a short sword type (or really, any kind of melee weapon that's not another axe/hatchet) of weapon that had a sort of chain-lightning attack (like, it's melee, but when you strike an enemy, chain lightning leaps from the victim and attacks the nearest enemy and then jumps onto a third victim before it's exhausted). Rank it right before the Quietus (because such a weapon would kick serious amounts of ass without being as powerful as the BFS - Big Fucking Sword).

Oh yes and they'll need to implement the Tome of Power into the mix - that'll bring a bit of spice to the weapons without requiring too many new weapons.

I have a bit of good news...

I sent them an e-mail asking them about the enemies in this mod and they gave me the reply and this is what it said:

Thank you for your email. The guys of the team and I read it and we're
overwhelmed with the responses we are getting about this mod.

We had first planned on making strictly D3 enemies but because of the
overwhelming response we've decided to look into all the options
available to use for making custom monsters for this mod. Keep checking
the progress on http://www.planetdoom.com/edgeofchaos to see how we go
with that, we have some surprises in store!

Bastian

I'm hoping this will work out!

Vile said:

so it's part TC, part mod

ROFL, how can something be partially total? It's either total or partial, it can't be a mixture of the two ;).

Anyway, cool looking mod... though as far as medieval esque Doom 3 add-ons go, I'm more looking forward to the Dark Mod :).

The queitus really didn't come to it's full right for me until I played Korax Mod. Now that was fun, slashing down enemies like the worst kind of Conan. Awesome. Awesome as pancakes.

NiGHTMARE said:

ROFL, how can something be partially total? It's either total or partial, it can't be a mixture of the two ;).

Gee gang, it looks like we have ourselves another mystery.

Cool news, S1lent. I was actually hoping to see another installment in the Hexen series using one of the newer engines... and it wasn't entirely impossible, even though all of the Serpent Riders are goners.

kristus said:

The queitus really didn't come to it's full right for me until I played Korax Mod. Now that was fun, slashing down enemies like the worst kind of Conan. Awesome. Awesome as pancakes.

Quite - it's an awesome concept, but the whole "Big-powerful-asskicking-sword" wasn't truly exploited to its fullest in HeXen.

Now consider what it could be like in a mod like this:

It has an überpowerful melee attack (which also has a decent melee range) that does not hurl fireballs, but is so powerful that it can easily send monsters flying in several directions depending on where and how they were hit (there are different sword-swinging attack animations).
In addition, it has its old attack with exploding fireballs hurled out in a spread that does less damage than the melee attack, but can harm multiple targets (great against smaller crowds).

Oh yeah and for how I'd like them to design the gauntlets and Timon's Axe take a look at this drawing where I basically made a reinterpretation of the classic HeXen Fighter. Check his gauntlets and the battle axe he's holding.

Pardon the double post, but we've got a news item.

They've just updated their page with two new screenies showing off some pickups and one screenie of a pretty atmospheric scene (that was the pic of the day).

http://www.planetdoom.com/edgeofchaos/

dsm said:

Oh yeah and for how I'd like them to design the gauntlets and Timon's Axe take a look at this drawing where I basically made a reinterpretation of the classic HeXen Fighter. Check his gauntlets and the battle axe he's holding.

You drew that? It's very good, you're quite the artist. How long did it take you to do it?

S1lent said:

You drew that? It's very good, you're quite the artist. How long did it take you to do it?

I did it on and off - but I was comparatively quick on this one. Took me a month or so. (Usually, a drawing can end up taking half a year because I rarely feel like working on it).

dsm said:

As for new weapon ideas, I thought of a short sword type (or really, any kind of melee weapon that's not another axe/hatchet) of weapon that had a sort of chain-lightning attack (like, it's melee, but when you strike an enemy, chain lightning leaps from the victim and attacks the nearest enemy and then jumps onto a third victim before it's exhausted). Rank it right before the Quietus (because such a weapon would kick serious amounts of ass without being as powerful as the BFS - Big Fucking Sword).

Have you ever played Drakan? Remember the screaming swords you get right near the end of the game?

I've actually spent some time recently brainstorming ideas of how to squeeze two extra weapons into each class in Hexen, with the possibility of making a weapon patch for zdoom. I get headaches just trying to think of two new weapons that you could give the fighter class in the original Hexen. Some kind of longbow seems logical, with the fighter being the only one with the strength to use it. But if he already has an axe, a hammer, a sword and a bow, what else can you give him? Polearms and flails cant really be put in zdoom for technical reasons, maces and swords are too similar to his other weapons. Any ideas?

I like that chain lightning idea though, I was thinking something similar would be great for the mage class.

edit: by the way, did you do a concept sketch of how the cleric could look to go along with those other two?

what about a magic shield that can punch and protect the player but using mana for that. Or what about a jabaline that can be thrown and then traspass the enemies bodies like the railgun in Quake 2 (the Hammer of Retrivution also is hurled but the player don't loose it).

I like the idea of a shield, but its not really a weapon, so it cant just be used on its own. I dont want to give him too many missile weapons either - 3 should be more than enough.

The closest I can get to being satisfied is just give him another axe, and then have a third, dummy weapon given when you get both axes, so that you can dual wield them. But that only works well beacause it would look hillarious on the players screen, with spinning axes swinging left and right at a rapid rate...

Alternatively, I could shift the Quietus blade down a notch and give the fighter a new, artifact type weapon (like the staffs in Hexen 2, but something more intresting that those)

No, I don't think I've played Drakan, though the name does seem familiar somehow.

chilvence said:
Some kind of longbow seems logical, with the fighter being the only one with the strength to use it. But if he already has an axe, a hammer, a sword and a bow, what else can you give him? Polearms and flails cant really be put in zdoom for technical reasons, maces and swords are too similar to his other weapons. Any ideas?

Imho a longbow wouldn't go well with the Fighter's "attitude" and combat tactics which are basically: go in close and hit hard.

A new weapon would have to be a melee weapon (or at least close range) capable of dealing considerable damage to your immediate vicinity. Yes, the Quietus is ranged, but it is best used at fairly close range (it's kinda like a shotgun really - powerful close-quarters combat weapon), so a longbow would fit a Cleric type class much better than it would fit the Fighter. The hammer is also ranged, but again, best used at close range.

You're right though, another sword would seem boring (although making it a sort of Falchion or other sword with a crude, "interstingly" shaped blade could be cool imo), but how about a sort of short, blade-edged combat staff (made entirely of steel or some other metallic material)) that does what I suggested before? Personally, I like the chain lightning deal for the Fighter specifically, because it meets the Fighter's requirements of combat characteristics - it's a base melee weapon, but capable of leaping over and damaging enemies in close vicinity with limited range. Oh and it doesn't have to be chain lightning - might as well be red energy bolts that leap from target to target.

edit: by the way, did you do a concept sketch of how the cleric could look to go along with those other two? [/B]

No, not specifically of the Cleric, but I did a drawing that includes all three characters which is perhaps a little less imaginative as far as character design goes.
You'll notice that the Cleric (in the middle) is very faithful to his classic design.