Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

This would have been cool.

Remember the that maint zombie from the post alpha phase that we seen so many screenshots of. I don't know how many people noticed this but in the alpha the maint zombie had early limb loss damage. Wasn't working but it was there. The maint zombie still has the separate head and torso area where it can still be severed.

Screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/geome44/stumpy1.jpg
-Torso sever area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/geome44/stumpy2.jpg
-Neck sever area.

This is the only zombie I saw with this in final game. I know this is insignificant but it shows possibilities that DOOM 3 may of had. And it would have been cool.

Was this ever brought up?

raven's "GHOUL" area-specific damage system (featured in SoF) was considered really bad taste by most people. id were probably wise to leave out all the gore.. i dunno

After poking around some more there is a damaged chest maint zombie too not in final game. The model is in the final but untextured. Also severed animations included as well. Seems id may have paid more attention to zombie detail, or select few in game until they droped that for more variouse quick zombies toward the end of production? And the arms also had limb loss aswell.

I see no point in limb-loss unless it is caused by a non-bullet weapon like a Rocket Launcher because if you shot a person point-blank with a shotgun, it's just gonna put a big ol' hole in their chest, not knock off their torso or arm or something.

I would've liked a sort of "geomod" for zombie/demon flesh. But definitely for zombie flesh, at the very least.

I don't see the point in dismemberment anyhow. I just want the enemy to die under a hail of bullets. Blood flying in the air is ok tho. ;)

I also believe from early zombie that they may have texture damage like in Quake 2. I think this stuff was canceled due to Our early hardware.

I really loved SoF for that tastless feature. I had a lot of fun with it. Also, if you fire a machine gun at a human body it'd be quite easy for that machinegun to cut the human in half. So anyone saying it'd not be real would be wrong.

Ya, I kind of liked that feature in SoF. It was something extra to make the shooting interesting. And, as kristus said, it added a bit more realism to the game that was already sort of unreal.

It would have been neat. I was really discipointed you couldn't gib eigther. I mean to blow an imp up. And with out gibbing you do not get as much enjoyment from the BFG.

Technician said:

It would have been neat. I was really discipointed you couldn't gib eigther. I mean to blow an imp up. And with out gibbing you do not get as much enjoyment from the BFG.

If the imp was gibable, you wouldn't get the cool scenarios where you blow an imp into the air with a nicely placed grenade, rocket or BFG blast, or you wouldn't be able to send them flying down a staircase with a well-placed shotgun blast, because it'd just gib like the zombies.
Ragdoll deaths >>>>>> gibs imo.

OT: I don't give a damn about dismembering, I just like to fill enemies with lead and watch their perforated, bloodied corpses fall over in a variety of cool ways.

Dismembering could be a nice touch, but I'm not 100% sure it would've been such a good thing in a Doom game. It might have made it too easy to incapacitate an enemy (and I prefer that the enemies last longer than just one or two pistol shots), or made the deaths seem un-doomish. I never felt any of the games with limb dismembering felt very doomish (in Blood where you could decapitate some enemies, it felt different from Doom, despite the game having a very Doom-like theme and overall feel).

Not so much imp dissemble but some thing more classic like chunks and organs and bones. Like Quake but much better. It is unsatisfying to hit a cherub with a rocket launcher and fly in one piece. Large monsters like pinkies and mancubi can stay in one piece. I have to agree though it really shows off its good phyisics.