Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Closed Caption for the Hearing Impaired

The Doom 3 Closed Caption (or Doom3[CC]) project team has made the first full release of the closed caption mod for Doom 3 today. To quote the site:

Doom3[CC] is a mod that aims to close caption Doom3 so that hard of hearing and deaf gamers can enjoy Doom3 without missing the important plot details, enemy sound clues and intense atmosphere created audibly. This mod is also helpful for those who wish to learn the English language by reading what the spoken dialog says. This first initial release is an early version and while not 100% complete does provide captions for dialog, monsters and environmental ambience. Future versions will support color coding based on who is speaking and additional languages for the captions.

Downloads can be found on FilePlanet and FileShack.

I think Doomworld should host a BitTorrent tracker for things like this so you don't have to wait forever on services like the ones mentioned.

How about it? ^^

So long as they don't go as far as Half-Life 2 on full closed-captioning did (you're in a battle and you can see "SMG Primary Fire! Combine Radio Tactical! Shattering Glass!"), it could actually enhance Doom 3's playability.

WildWeasel said:

So long as they don't go as far as Half-Life 2 on full closed-captioning did (you're in a battle and you can see "SMG Primary Fire! Combine Radio Tactical! Shattering Glass!"), it could actually enhance Doom 3's playability.

Tone it down to just the dialogue option. It's actually quite helpful in sections, as in making out what the architect-er-administrator is saying on the big viewscreens while you're too busy fighting striders or whatever.

I played through HL2 with the closed captions for speech, and it was actually quite helpful in spots, especially for catching Breen's droning over City 17's PA's during gunfights. However, Doom 3's dialogue is sort of weak and meaningless anyways. After playing through it, you really need to know next to nothing. All the important objectives flashed on the screen for you.

i've tried it (even though i JUST beat d3 using the audio log transcription mod) and it's really quite nice. there's a few things i'd like ironed out, like signifying weapon pickups is still active even with the SFX captions off. i'm hard of hearing, not totally deaf, so all i really need is dialogue. it'd also be nice if captions would appear while you're looking at your PDA.

okay, so it's a little buggy, but the fact that it exists... well, that's metal.

Relica Religia said:

Wow, that's.....actually a pretty nice thing to be doing for the impaired gamers.

I agree, everyone should be able to enjoy Doom3, and other games equally. It warms my heart!

Pretty nifty project. This is also handy for heavy accents or bad voice acting. Too bad more games don't have it.

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea. I remember a similar idea proposed by someone for Half Life, back in the day. Good going to those involved.

Schneelocke said:

I think Doomworld should host a BitTorrent tracker for things like this so you don't have to wait forever on services like the ones mentioned.

How about it? ^^

I think that's a good idea, too. However it needn't even be endorsed at first - one person download it and post a URL to the tracker in the news comments.

Didn't I suggest this on Doomworld a few months ago?

I got to RIT, home of NTID, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. I had always thought that closed captions in video games were for deaf people already. Anyway this is a very good thing, but iD should be scolded severely for not originally including subtitles. Same with the makers of other games when non-trivial voice is used.

Lutrov71 said:

Could sorta remove the atmosphere though, but still a nice thing to do.

Well, not if you can't hear what's going on. Surely straining to hear what was being said, or simply not hearing it at all would be less atmospheric than knowing what was going on via captions.