Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebornhero

stressful

Okay. I bought this game the day it came out. Started playing it on Veteran... was having trouble, got frustrated, and put it down. A couple months later I pick it back up, stick it on easy so I can play through the game really easy. On easy, you don't die. Its impossible, but this game is still really stressful because of the darkness and the way guys just pop outa nowhere and start shooting or swinging dead arms at you. Its a great game, but just stressful. These are just my 2 cents.

I think it's not stressful at all, I just enjoyed its graphics and atmosphere. Everything's alright, when you can save whenever you want, and that is good in Doom 3, so when I died, I loaded the previous game and kill that bastard, who frigtened me at first time.

I always think that playing must be fun.

That's actually a good thing about Doom 3 - you can't play it constantly and you need to take frequent breaks from it. Which means the game won't keep you from doing real life related things (such as homework and work-related stuff).

Play it in bursts of about two hours each time you fire it up.

I can see how you think it's stressful, no one is used to playing something so realistic or frightening. It's a bombardment of realism in something expected to be fantasy. I'm not saying it's totally real, but there are very real elements in the game.

True. I bought Half-Life 2 recently, and Doom3 a while ago, and I found myself playing Half-Life more just because I didn't dare start playing Doom and having a sensual overload of fear.

rebornhero said:

:) it is a lot of fun. I just wish the multiplayer was a bit better.

IMO the MP of Doom3 is way better than Quake3

Tomb Spyder said:

True. I bought Half-Life 2 recently, and Doom3 a while ago, and I found myself playing Half-Life more just because I didn't dare start playing Doom and having a sensual overload of fear.

+ you have to wait for the better circumstances to play Doom3: Darkness, Calmness...

HL2 is more modest in this regard *g*

Bloodshedder said:

At one point I played it for 5 hours straight.

8 here. It messes with you after a while.

rebornhero said:

im new to the series other than doom 1, but that doesn't count. It wasn't scary. This game makes me wanna **** my pants.

Well, there are lots of people out there that thought classic Doom was scary (at least back in the day). Many of those who thought Doom was scary have since grown older and more hardened, so naturally, Id wanted to try to reach this crowd by making Doom 3 comparatively creepier.

The result is a mixed bag.
Some think Doom 3 blows in the scare department because the scare tactics used in the new game are stuff they're used to.
Others think it totally rocks in the scare department, because the sounds and sights get to them.
Still others, like you (and me), never considered the classic scary at all and they either dislike Doom 3 for being scary (or not action packed enough) or embrace the scariness. Me, I'm all for it.

DOOM3 got scary from times to times.
Ambient sound was very well done. it added a lot to the atmosphere.

i found that I can spot the imp spawing behind me by listenning to spawning sound. I found spawning is less irratiting than before.

Job said:

8 here. It messes with you after a while.

13 here and beat it (I did play it for about an hour the day it came out but I had to go to work as soon as I was done).

dsm said:

Still others, like you (and me), never considered the classic scary at all and they either dislike Doom 3 for being scary (or not action packed enough) or embrace the scariness. Me, I'm all for it.

I never found ODoom scary, but I can remember some pretty tense evasion where I try to move the player by throwing my own body around.

Damn Doom3 has some pretty good scares. These little adrenaline rushes keep me playing even when I want to get off. For me the only kind of stress is physical, y'know? Hunger and fatigue etc.
10 for me.

I just played through Site 3 and the first Caverns area and man do these levels tense me up :-)

That area right at the foot of the crane in the first Caverns map is always a challenge to get through with a minimum of damage sustained and it really brings back some of the tense body-throwing moments that classic Doom is well-known for.