Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ljdemon

Normal Mapping

I was thinking that maybe Doom 3 could have been less hardware demanding if they used Normal Mapping like they did in Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. I am aware that the visual effects would have slightly changed but would still hold amazing graphics. Don't get me wrong, I love the graphics, but it's cost a bit for a game that didn't get GOTY, regardless- I would have have given it the award.

Doom 3 does use normal maps. The reason the game may run as poorly as it does is due to the real-time lighting system. If you were to deactivate this, you'd see a large increase in speed.

Not from what I heard, Id created a whole new engine just for this game(so far). Although I hadn't followed that as closely as I did with story line and demonology.

Yes, they did create a new engine for this.... what does that have to do with normal mapping? This isnt proprietary process that's limited to one particular engine. It's just a way of telling the engine the XYZ coordinates for a given pixel on a texture to help improve the appearance of height and depth.

Wow they created a new engine just for this game?! Man that's never been done before, huh...

What you heard was wrong. Doom3 most definitely uses normal mapping to give depth to textures. Each texture in doom has a few passes to it, chiefly the color pass, normal pass, and specular pass. Normal mapping is used in other games, but it's REALLY used for its best purpose in the doom3 engine. The realtime per-pixel unified lighting system let's the bump/normal mapping shine in full glory.