Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Open Letter to Doom Fans

See, Burnov speaks the truth. Something unfortunate that no-one seems to comprehend. "Ah I'll go see it to see how bad it is"

Smart move dummy, especially if, previous to that comment you bitched about how all the executives are after is safe money. They don't give a rats about doom and are counting on people to do exactly that, go and see it. You can bitch about the movie all you like afterwards...but you kinda forget something. Paying the money at the cinema means they got what they wanted. Morons on seats. In hollywood it's all about box office. If you watched the news/entertainment shows, you would see this as plain as day. I don't recommend this as those shows will make your stomach churn in disgust but the thing is if a movie makes a fortune, the whiners complaining about it being an "unfaithful peice of crap" get ignored, and the reason why? IS BECAUSE THEY PAID TO SEE IT SO THEY COULD COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

Ah the magic of the internet genius. *Cough* *hack* *WHEEZE* *ARGH*

Sorry, the sarcasm inherent in that statement almost killed me :P

You know the funny thing about Ghost of Mars? When I first saw the trailer to it, I said to myself "Holy shit could this be a doom movie?" This was before the movies name was mentioned though, and for a while I was going to see it, but the more I looked up information about it, I lost interest as it just didn't look like a good movie. Still haven't seen it either, probably never will.

Burnov said:

Sorry to say, but at this point. Ghosts of mars is actually looking to be more true to Doom than the actual movie will be. I mean fuck. At least THAT movie was actually on MARS!

Doom wasn't set on Mars, it was set on Phobos (as well as Deimos, hell and finally earth)). In this regards, the movie is actually going to be more faithul to the original Doom than Doom 3 was.

Well alright. But I more or less meant that Ghosts of mars took place in that area... Where does the doom movie take place?

As far as I understand it. Some generic planet in a galaxy "Far far away".

Either way though. There's no way in hell I'm going to see this movie in the theaters. I didn't see AVP... not so much because of the principal of the thing, well partly that. However also simply because the movie looked boring, and reminiscent of some kind of really bad power rangers episode featuring musclebound predators.

To be honest I simply cannot be bothered to get off my ass and pay with my own hard earned money for a movie unless I'm going to really enjoy it.

No, the movie takes place on Phobos. That's why I said it's more faithful to the original Doom than Doom 3.

I'm confused. I heard that the Doom film was going to be set on some random planet. Do you mean to say it will actually be on Phobos?

I didn't really mind them setting the Doom 3 story on the planet rather than its moons. At the end of the day it was still Doom. I'm not prepared to forgive the film for any deviation because it ISN'T Doom.

By the way, I'd just like to point out that I have played most of the Community Chest 2 wad and if I was reviewing it, it would have earned a perfect score...just like the first CChest, which I was in the process of playing through when I gave up Doom for racing cars. :D

There, I DO like some wads.

IIRC the "journalist" who claimed the movie is set on some random planet is the same person who claimed to have met and interviewed the scriptwriter in Prague, whilst said scriptwriter was actually in America at the time.

You know. I still would have accepted a movie about doom wherein they simply curtailed any direct mention of the term hell or any display of pentagrams, etc. Even if the monsters just came from some "other dimension" I still would have accepted it. Which technically they did. Hell or not. It's some other plane of existence that looks very... hellish.

However the whole government virus thing just takes the whole movie in a really stupid direction. Same with the whole survival horror element. You cannot expect to make a movie based on doom and add that psychological horror element to it like in alien.

It's just not that kind of game, it shouldn't be that kind of movie.

Unfortunately that's what is deemed popular with the stupid fucking ignorant consumer masses right now, so that's what studios are going to try to give them. It'd be even worse if they added some cleavage sporting bimbo with big guns for all the geeks to get their rocks off.

The virus storyline also originates from the fake interview.

BTW the games have loads of psychological horror stuff going on, it's just most of us have played them so much we're "immune" to it. I disagree immensely with the earlier post that Doom was about mainly about humour - it's always been about the atmosphere.

Yes, but a lot of what was said in this "fake" interview was confirmed in the open letter, unless that was also fake...aargh, it makes my head spin.

This film is going to be complete bollocks. End of story.

Considering virtually every concern that people have expressed about the movie is based on misinformation and lies, far from it.

But what about the "open letter"? Do you think that's fake too? It confirms virtually every rumour I have heard about the film.