Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Doom Builder - Oddity

Today was THE day: I was firing up WADED and loaded my latest map, wanting to finish it. Several clicks later, WADED crashed. LINEFEF OVERFLOW! I was hundreds of LINEDEFS away from map completion and I was fed up, I want to create a map the way I imagine it and not the way WADED limits me!

To make a long story short, I fired up Doom Builder and went to the painful hour of learing how to handle the completely different sector handling (compared to WADED - the sole reason I refused to switch editors to this day!)

...and of course it's awesome.

One oddity, though: In the tutorial, I read the paragraph about making manual doors and it told me to - once I designed the door sector - bring up the properties of the lines and then "select action" and bring up the DOOR section.
HOWEVER: In the screenshot of this section (in the tutorial) there was a whole bunch of action specials: Well more than 10 specials (including the colored key triggers).
Well, in my DOOR section, there are only about 5 specials (and only ONE special for key opening.) Oh...wait...while I'm writing this and cross-looking in Doom Builder I am beginning to understand: There is a difference in this section between HEXEN and DOOM mode and the tutorial shows DOOM view. And the keys (in case of colored key special) have to be defined under "key number", don't they? *g*

But I still have one question:

Do I always have to manually define movement speed and delay time when creating a door? Isn't there a way to define default values?

*UPDATE*: Another question: I tried to implement silent teleport. Whenever I select "Use Orientation of MapSpot = 1", the player freezes for about one second after the teleport (means: I cannot move for 1 second after teleport). How can I get rid of this freezing?

Deathmatcher said:
But I still have one question:

Do I always have to manually define movement speed and delay time when creating a door? Isn't there a way to define default values?

I don't think it is possible.

*UPDATE*: Another question: I tried to implement silent teleport. Whenever I select "Use Orientation of MapSpot = 1", the player freezes for about one second after the teleport (means: I cannot move for 1 second after teleport). How can I get rid of this freezing?

You can't. If you use the orientation of the map spot the silent teleporter just behaves like a regular teleporter - just without the fog. If you don't want a delay you cannot use this option.

Graf Zahl said:

I don't think it is possible.

Yes, it is possible. I tried it out and it works. But I always have to define the values, for every normal door I want to make.

Graf Zahl said:

You can't. If you use the orientation of the map spot the silent teleporter just behaves like a regular teleporter - just without the fog. If you don't want a delay you cannot use this option.

But without the orientation, the teleportation is useless; I created a house with several floors and I want the player to change floor via stairs with silent teleporters so it appears as a 3D house. If I don't select "use Mapspot orientation", the player always looks at the direction he came from, when having teleported. This is extremely confusing to the player.

Isn't there a workaround for the delay problem?

I assume you are using Boom (the door modifications), so use WR_teleport_to_line (silent) or whatever its called. That wont freeze, but it will keep an objects momentum. You have to tag a linedef with the same tag as the teleporter, and you're set.

iori said:

I assume you are using Boom (the door modifications), so use WR_teleport_to_line (silent) or whatever its called. That wont freeze, but it will keep an objects momentum. You have to tag a linedef with the same tag as the teleporter, and you're set.

Worked! :)