Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Celebrities among us

By this, I mean strictly media (music, TV, movies, radio, corporate) or government types. Possibly international celebrity.

It seems to me that there's an invisible wedge between celebrities and everyday people. I personally believe some people will refuse the idea that, say, a rock star could have the same hobby as he.

I used to belong to a classic rock group's mailing list, when one guy bashed this band that was popular at the time. Another guy replied, obviously pissed off, in the first person. Whatever the reasons he had for striking back, there was a definite insinuation that he was a member of said band. Wish I could remember the name-- one of those mid 90's post-grunge bands. Anyway, the issue escalated until basically it was in every topic. This guy ran the gauntlet: everyone was basically either demanding proof, fawning over him, bashing his music, or calling him a trolling imposter. The person who managed the list deemed that the only way to fix the situation was to ban the guy who implied that he was a celebrity.

There's obviously two reasons for this:
-He didn't believe the guy, rid the board of a stupid troll.
-He did believe him, and the board couldn't handle this kind of attention.

But the outcome is the same. Thinking about it recently, I'd kind of feel bad for celebrities who yearn for the anonymity they once had, and the only way they can obtain that again is by pretending to be someone else (or nobody at all).

Do any of you think that a person you'd deem "famous" browses and contributes to this board? How predictable do you think the general reaction would be if something like that came out?

EDIT: Damn, I forgot to post a poll. Would you:

A) Try to be understanding and friendly
B) Go apeshit and ask for a photograph
C) Try your best not to give a shit
D) Ask for proof, assume it's just an attention whore
E) Finally get your chance to rip on him/her for his/her crappy contribution to mankind

I'm sure some id Software people and other important names in the games industry pass by here every once in a while - but then, I wouldn't call them real celebrities.

I leave celebrities alone, like I would anyone I don't know or have nothing sensible to say to.

Numbermind said:

Do any of you think that a person you'd deem "famous" browses and contributes to this board?

I am right here.

Haha Morbid Angel is warezing. I wonder if they complain when people download their music "for free" :P

Disorder said:

I bet your ass still hurts.

I sued him for all of his plastic surgeons' money.

pilottobombadier said:

meh. I couldn't care less if there were celebrities among us; most of them are pretty contemptable people, if ya ask me :P

Wow, you've met most celebrities?

Well, I do plan on being famous in the future. So you can all be like "yeah I knew that kid from an internet message board back in the day."

Oh but anyway, my cousin was in Dogma. The red-haired kid with the long hair and the hockey stick who beats people up.

I'd consider Linguica a celebrity, personally.

The closest I've ever been to seeing a celebrity in a forum is when (apparently) Cory Feldman joined the Mameworld message boards and started asking around about how he could build his own MAME arcade cabinet. I wasn't reading the forums, so I never found out if it was really Cory Feldman.

It depends what you mean by celebrity. For example Maddox is an internet celebrity, and he even said he still cant feel it because he still goes to a regular job but he's famous on the net. Then thiers Brad Pitt. Their producers enjoy making them look like they care about the environment and stuff that dont care about.

Oh, many celebrities do care about the environment. They're ordinary human beings, capable of thinking and having personal, honest opinions just like you and I. Claims that celebrities are stupid or ignorant are simply rooted in jealousy.

Sure, a few of them are dumber than bedrock, but that's a pretty common trait for this species.

insertwackynamehere said:

It depends what you mean by celebrity.

I do believe the original post EXPLAINS what I mean by celebrity. You may not think of Maddox as a "true" celebrity-- only because he himself does not-- but the same situation rings true. Although people around the world know him, chances are you yourself have never talked to the guy or share any personal connection. And I have no idea what your closing sentence had to do with the discussion.

The reason no one talks to celebrities is because they account for 0.2 % of everyone on the planet. What are you going to do, form a queue?

People are far too obsessed with this minority of people; you can easily have a more intresting conversation with a homeless person on the street, because at least you won't be giggling like a little girl. Shit, his life story would probably be even more intresting.

Hell, I've met some famous people. Most of them just want to be treated like normal people instead of being worshipped, hounded, and photographed by paparazzi ass fucks. Woody Harrelson has been to the Amsterdam Cafe in Vancouver before. He'd just hang around, talk to people, and smoke their weed. Real easy going, laid back, nice fellow.