Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Classic Doom for Doom 3 Mod Alpha Soon

Gazz from the Classic Doom for Doom 3 team has sent word that they are close to an alpha release of the mod-in-progress. The alpha is expected to clock in at around 30 megs and will contain all or parts of E1M1, E1M3, and E1M4, some new power-up items, replacement textures, replacement music, and certain gameplay changes to bring the feel of the mod closer to the original Doom. The alpha release is expected to take place on Christmas eve, December 24th.

It's lookin pretty good. There are a few parts that I thought looked a little too jagged for a game like Doom 3. For instance the toxic pit in the first level that has the zig-zag path across of pool of green goup. I know it's suppose to be a zig-zag, but it still could have been smoothed out a little better. It just seems a bit.... out of place.

The problem is they're trying to create, linedef for linedef, everything in the original game. The conversion, coupled with the fact that none of the textures look right on walls with square edges that are commonplace in Doom 1 and 2, just doesn't look that great.

Although a couple of screenshots were attention grabbing. It should be interesting. Seems like E1 levels are way too short for Doom 3 levels though, considering the loading time.

Edit: Hey, I guess I take that back, partially. Looking at the new screenshots of the touched up maps, it doesn't look that bad. Mod makers shouldn't release screenshots that look like crap just to prove that they are among the first people working on doom mods, as this team did. After this refinement, it seems like a fairly worthy E1 recreation.

Shaikoten said:

Edit: Hey, I guess I take that back, partially. Looking at the new screenshots of the touched up maps, it doesn't look that bad. Mod makers shouldn't release screenshots that look like crap just to prove that they are among the first people working on doom mods, as this team did. After this refinement, it seems like a fairly worthy E1 recreation.

A while back I saw screenshots from a similar project (they were trying to do the exact same thing which is remaking E1 in D3), but it used high-res versions of the old textures and did not exploit any of the D3 engine capabilities like this does - talk about ugly screenies.

Anyway, as for this mod, I like the screenshots a lot actually (considering that it's trying to be an as faithful-as-possible-while-making-it-look-good), but I'm a little annoyed about the fact that they're apparently trying to replace the badass D3 weapon models with something a little more true to the original. I wouldn't mind this as much if it weren't because I generally disagree with everyone who thinks the classic Doom weapons are "modern-day-weapon" style.

Take that screenie of the pistol. It's just another boring modern day pistol (I assume that's a Beretta) - I never considered the classic Doom pistol to just be a normal modern day weapon. I always considered the tech design to be similar, but still different so that it didn't look like any modern day weapon. In any event, I consider the D3 pistol to be very true to the classic, but with additional details.

Then there's the pickup items and the barrels - look like crap so far, I hope they change them.

Bloodskull said:

Finally something to make me want to play doom3 again. I got sick of it after my dad had to wipe the drive and lose my save spot.

That's what the warp cheat is for. Also the give cheat can work too to replicate what you had :P

I like what they're doing with the maps, but not the models and gameplay mods. I'd like to see remade, updated versions of the levels with all Doom 3 material and bad guys, and a story that runs parallel to Doom 3's. Since it's in a different but nearby locale, it would work well.

Hi,
I just want to answer a few assumptions that are totally incorrect :)

The weapon model was posted to show work that our modeller has done recently. The weapon model (pistol) is being re-worked so it is more akin to the pistol from doom3 , but with our own twist to make it stand out as the Doom pistal in 3D. Hope that makes sense :D

The items are fine as they are at the moment , but everything is in a state of continual change. Our texture artist built the items you have seen, we dont have a modeller to do the smaller things like items at the moment and its something that will need to be addressed at some point in the future after a ton of other things we are working on.

The main emphesis of the mod is to have the same level structure braught into the doom3 world - there are subtle differences where certain things in the original maps just didnt 'make sense' but for the most part, its a conversion to take into account the enhanced features of the Doom 3 graphics engine.

We understand there will be people who dont like our mod and people who will :) , if you dont like it, dont download it, at the end of the day its free lol :D

Ahh well hope to see some of you guys on our forums at some point and hope you all get some enjoyment from what we are doing here :)

Thanks for the comments.