Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Sexy hi-res pic!!!

THe only things to me that seem fake are the crowbar and the dilapidated boat. But nice cgi.

The only imperfection I can see is in the fence on the left. I'm quite amazed at this shot, and if there's any computer in the world that can play HL2 at a perfect frame rate with this screen resolution...I'd buy it.

WildWeasel said:

I'm quite amazed at this shot, and if there's any computer in the world that can play HL2 at a perfect frame rate with this screen resolution...I'd buy it.

Sure there is.

Mine.

Although my monitor can't handle that res, I'm sure if I can get over 100fps at 1280x1024, I can handle that res at at least 30. :P

Szymanski said:

On the topic of HL2, 'follow freeman' completed in 8 minutes

Wasn't the whole game beaten in 3 hours? Or is this a faster run than the 3 hour run?

Anyway that shot looks nice, but HL2 doesn't always look that perfect. In fact it's the large inconsistancy between level designs that really bothered me about the game. First you start in areas looking like that but then end up in some of the ugliest rooms ever. It happened more often in the game that I would have imagined it to.

Heh, i first looked at this nt knowing what it was from, and I still knew it was not real.

It looks better on a better graphics card. I know my game doesn't look like that. The fence, boat, water, and dirt wouldn't look so fake.

Okay, seriously. I've put up with the rampant Valve fanboyism on this forum for several years, but this is enough. Half-Life 2 looks like shit. Sure, it may have some pretty areas, but they were all designed only with that in mind. Using photos for textures doesn't make graphics impressive.

Besides, graphics isn't everything. I haven't played the game, and never will, but from what I've heard Half-Life 2 has many flaws and is boring.

I can slap a "pixel perfect" photo onto a 2D screen, will that be impressive graphics? I find the thought of people being "amazed" by that image appalling. It's all due to the resolution anyway, that wouldn't look nearly as good to the average player.

Revenant100 made a good point, the real parts of the game are ugly and plain. The repeating textures pointed out by Scuba Steve and the shadow noted by Ling struck me too, amazing that Valve could let something like that slip by into the game.

But that is what you get with pre-rendered shadows. Half-Life 2 uses one big hack of a graphics engine, just compare to Doom 3's uniform lighting model.

The water is just laughable. They managed to get a computer to render water with reflections and ripples? So what? Besides, I wonder if the "revolutionary" physics engine handles fluid motion of water, other than just having it lie there as a huge flat floor with some eye candy on it.

This is intended to be a Doom forum, but I think it stopped being that about a year ago. Half-Life 2 is not better than Doom 3 and not in hell better than Doom.

This may be the Doom forum, but this particular board is called "Everything Else". Come on: how many of us would continue to contribute to this forum with the mindset of "Doom is old and busted, HL is the new hotness"? There are trolls, of course, but their kind is easily detected and weeded out. In contrast, I can like two games at once while pointing out certain flaws. I posted the picture because it looked good-- and I'm not making assumptions about a game I haven't played.

Now explain to me what's so difficult about giving credit where credit is due.

Numbermind said:

This may be the Doom forum, but this particular board is called "Everything Else". Come on: how many of us would continue to contribute to this forum with the mindset of "Doom is old and busted, HL is the new hotness"? There are trolls, of course, but their kind is easily detected and weeded out. In contrast, I can like two games at once while pointing out certain flaws. I posted the picture because it looked good-- and I'm not making assumptions about a game I haven't played.

Now explain to me what's so difficult about giving credit where credit is due.

There's nothing difficult about giving credit where due, but Half-Life 2 has gotten so much undeserved hype and so many Valve-sponsored reviews that it's sickening. The fanboys are even worse, and I really would do much better without them all around me. Everybody is allowed to have an opinion, but that doesn't mean all opinions are valid. Half-Life 2 is plainly overrated and has drawn too much attention away from Doom 3. Similarly, Doom is the king of FPS games, but the Valve whores think they can legitimately rip its crown off and put it on Half-Life.

I can't believe HL2's many game-related flaws have gone by unnoticed.

• All enemies except 3 or 4 types are melee. JUMP IN YOUR FACE ACTION
  • The linearity of the levels is the worst ever (or close to).
  • In most of the middle-section of the game you're presented with no story details or development at all.
  • The story (detail) is virtually non-existant
  • You _rarely_ know what you are doing or why you're doing it
  • You are forced to ride the airboat/buggy for SEVERAL HOURS COMBINED. I thought it was an FPS?
  • The jail-section of the game felt and operated like an updated version of Unreal2. (Speaking of Unreal2. HL2 reminds me a lot of it)
  • Extremely inconsistent in graphics. Some areas are incredible while others (Ravenholm for instance) looks like something from 1999
  • AI sucked. Even Doom3's was better (enemies trying to dodge your shots)...Valve lied once again.
  • Non-existant Multiplayer (No. CS:S does not count....and the late HL2 DM POS doesn't count for much either)
  • A 12hours game. Valve said 30~40hours
That said, I still think HL2 is enjoyable. At times the graphics are great and it's a wonderful adventure (whenever they try to tell a story, it works extremely well). As a "game" it fails it for me. The fun parts were really fun, though they were few. Most of the game, again the middle-section, was filled with boring or downright annoying enemies. Even the mines jump in your face. I agree with Fredrik about the valve-horny game-sites, magazines and fanboys. Nobody seems to care about all the lies Valve gave us. The whole "AMAZING AI" campaign was nothing more than a filthy lie. Doom3 had its own share of flaws, and they were all discussed....why aren't HL2's?

Shaviro said:

why aren't HL2's?

Depends which forum you visit. From comments on shacknews there's been plenty to moan about:

1 How lame is the ending?
2 How annoying is the friendly AI, especially in 'follow freeman'
3 Where's the stuff from the videos? (hydra etc)
4 Why is the sound so fucked up on level loads and other stuttering problems etc
5 How does ravenholm fit in
6 Where exactly is the story?
7 minor stuff like 'I miss the snarks' etc

and other stuff I can't remember. It's still enjoyable on a basic level, and in my opinion moreso than doom3. Which is a shame.

Please find me a review of the game where those flaws are discussed and also have an actual effect on the score.

I think the problems are moreso the game industry's itself, not the players. It's not just Doom3 and Half Life two, but all the hyped releases of late. Halo2, GTA3, WoW... all wheter actualy deserving of the praise they recieve, are touted as "The greatest goddamn game ever created"... and it's not until months later that after the review sites and magazines spout out thier views which fall vastly short of what could be called a review, that we finally start hearing REAL reviews.

Half Life 2 is just the current Hype Monster, and no gaming magazine would want to tell people that it might be anything less than flawless. We saw this with Doom 3 in August, and we're seeing it now on a somewhat grander scale with HL2. Just like traditional media and news, gaming news has become nothing but Hype and Infotainment with little substance or analysis of games.

Shaviro said:

I agree with Fredrik about the valve-horny game-sites, magazines and fanboys. Nobody seems to care about all the lies Valve gave us. The whole "AMAZING AI" campaign was nothing more than a filthy lie.

And I'm going to have to agree with Shaviro here. I've read a good deal of reviews and almost none of them mention any of HL2's shortcomings. The worst I've heard from them is a few mild complaints about Steam and the airboat segment. Having played HL2, I can safely say that the AI (both scripted and non-scripted) of Doom 3 is superior to HL2's. The enemies appeared to be a throwback to Unreal (1) where the only moves in their repertoire were basic dodges and rolls. Considering all the time and hype put into HL2, I was let down. Again, it is a good game and at times fun, but it is not necessarily game of the year material (most of these arguments may be applied to Halo 2 fairly easily with the same conclusion, but that's another debate for another day).

OIC

Well they're being discussed by the fans.

Official reviews are different, they've spent a year hyping the game (the graphics ,AI etc) and asskissing to gain the exclusive review. They just aren't blow it because the game doesn't live up to the hype. They must have their BEST GAME EVER headline, regardless whether its Quake, Quake2 or Black and White.

I don't know if this video has been posted here before, so don't kill me if it has, but this video pretty much summarizes how I feel about the AI in HL2. Extremly dissapointing and even a step down from the original. :<