Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkman 4

SuprNova shutdown, owners arrested.

The Police force in Finland have made raids on a popular BitTorrent file download site, arresting staff and seizing equipment including servers. Arrests included not only the four people who work on the site, but also some 30 volunteers who help administer and run the site. The site, which apparently had some 10,000 users, contained some 6000 torrents, which Police say amounted to millions of dollars worth of films, videos, music and games. If convicted, the site operators face jail of up to two years.

I'm not surprised, considering all the recent shit that's been going on with piracy.

If you don't believe me, check out the site. Their reason for shutting down on the site is BS, but it shows that the torrents are gone.

EDIT: SOURCE: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/14/finnish_police_raid_bittorrent_site/

Scuba Steve said:

That has yet to be determined.

Oh come on! You guys don't like warez but piracy is OK? Give me a break.

What, Janderson? Who the fuck is you guys? And what in his reference to the fact that the law hasn't yet decided if they are guilty of a crime made you post thus?

At the moment, the people in charge of p2p networks aren't considered guilty of piracy (at least, not simply because they run a p2p network). If the law decides that they are, then thereoticially manufacturers of blank CDs/DVDs, CD/DVD drivers capable of writing, CD/DVD writing software, cassette tapes, video recorders, etc, etc, could be open to prosecution as well.

Ok, I realise my tone was inapropriate(sp?) and that I'm imagining posts, but most people in this forum will damn your eyes and send you to the devil for posting warez and ripping off companies. These pirates are doing the same thing and some people appear to be backing them up.

Also I always thought that piracy was illegal, hence pre-movie messeges and copywrite laws.

Janderson said:

Ok, I realise my tone was inapropriate(sp?) and that I'm imagining posts, but most people in this forum will damn your eyes and send you to the devil for posting warez and ripping off companies. These pirates are doing the same thing and some people appear to be backing them up.

Sure, posting warez here is bad, and against the rules, but that doesn't stop a large proportion of people doing it anyway. It's not like everyone posts how much warez they downloaded today.

...what?

Okay, 5gb. Ish.

:P

Janderson said:

Also I always thought that piracy was illegal, hence pre-movie messeges and copywrite laws.

I made no mention of the legality of downloading "warez", only that the proprieters of Supernova are not guilty of anything yet.

Janderson said:
most people in this forum will damn your eyes and send you to the devil for posting warez and ripping off companies.

These Forums exist under certain conditions, including that they shan't be used as a place to trade or distribute commercial copyrighted files, or to directly promote such activity through links or instructions.

Janderson said:

But as I said, they're not pirates. If you're saying they're pirates simply because other people use their server/network to commit piracy, then by that logic ISPs such as AOL and CompuServe are pirates as well!

Well... it's not like we didn't see THIS coming.

SuperNova starts... no one notices.. then big publicity and everyone loves them. BAM police catch them (WOAH Curve ball!)... SuperNova out of business.

Today's illegality of culture-sharing in the Western world is analogous to the illegality of opposing the government in Nazi Germany.

Oh well. Shame really but they are a gear in the machine for piracy. Although I never saw free downloads piracy. I mean your giving some thing you bought to friends is not illegal, right? I never downloaded music because I thought it was wrong. But that is hypocritical because I downloaded Flash.

Technician said:

I mean your giving some thing you bought to friends is not illegal, right?

If what you're giving them is your original copy, then that's perfectly legal. However, if you're giving them a duplicate of the original, then you're committing a crime.

I never downloaded music because I thought it was wrong.

Depends whether the person who holds the rights to the music is happy for it to be downloadable. Many unsigned bands release their stuff for free over the 'net (mp3.com for instance is full of legally free music), and obviously there's nothing wrong with downloading that.

But that is hypocritical because I downloaded Flash.

Flash is intended to be downloaded for free. I'm not sure of Flash, but with many internet freebies it would actually be illegal to charge money for them.

File sharing should only carry a warning, if that, because it's not as if the perpetrators are making money off of it.

NiGHTMARE said:

If what you're giving them is your original copy, then that's perfectly legal. However, if you're giving them a duplicate of the original, then you're committing a crime.

Really? Making copies for friends isn't illegal here.

To NiGHTMARE

Oh yah I do download public domain music all the time. I was reffering to retail music. And Flash coasts money to download it. Like 50 bucks or something. Most downloadable appz are.

Fredrik: In Britain, America, and (I assume) many other capitalist countries, once you've bought software, music, etc you don't actually own it; what you've purchased is actually a license to play/listen to/watch it.

Technically the physical item still belongs to the copyright holder... though I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to steal a second copy of something you've already bought and therefore have a license to:P.

When you make a copy for a friend, obviously you cannot make a duplicate of the license that's supposed to accompany it, so they have no license to play/listen to/watch it.

Technician: Uh, what on earth are you talking about? Flash is completely free.

NiGHTMARE said:

When you make a copy for a friend, obviously you cannot make a duplicate of the license that's supposed to accompany it, so they have no license to play/listen to/watch it.

Except you can. I can legally make a copy for a friend according to the... Betamax?... court ruling?

I think you can give it to them legally so long as you don't gain any kind of a profit. You can't exchange the copywritten item for anything. Otherwise it'd be considered piracy, which is of course illegal.