Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
S1lent

HL2 Demo is out

The HL2 demo was released. I just wanted to post it for those of you who wasn't sure if they wanted to buy it or not, wanted to see if it would run on your computer, or are just curious about what they used.

This isn't some big Fanboy post, like I said, I'm just posting it for those of you who might want to play it. Unfortunately, Valve goofed again and it requires Steam to play, but you can always uninstall it, it's a small program.
Enjoy

Here are a few mirrors to download it from. It's a big download, so it might take a while (769.2 MB download)
FileRush
FileFront
FilePlanet (Required an account)

Yeah, I started downloading somewhere around 6PM. Just finished the demo. I have to say the game looks a lot better than Doom3 does on my computer.

But seriously, it was fun. Pretty limited, but fun. I was skeptical that they'd leave the gravity gun out of the demo, but it was actually featured. Go figure. Heh, I was having too much fun in Ravenholm.

BBG said:

Heh, it was only a 2 mb DL for me straight from Steam.

How'd you download it from Steam? I've been looking for it in my Steam Games List and on Servers and everywhere and I can't find a download for it. So I've just been downloading the off-Steam version of it.

EDIT: For some reason when I install it, I can't find it on Steam. I have the full HL2 and I was wondering what it was they used for it, But when I go to My Games list, I can't find it or an option for it...

Apparently downloading and installing the demo does nothing if you've already got the full version. But I don't see why you'd even want the demo then because it's just a few levels from the full game, no new content at all.

More like 700Mb.

Anyway, if you don't have the latest version of Steam, you'll probably have to get it off of FilePlanet. They make it pretty difficult to get to the public servers, but you can do it if you "pretend" to sign up for the free account. Mailinator is down, so I had to do it the hard way.

Another thing I'd like to add about the demo: even on easy mode, you have to conserve your ammo. You can't go around blasting everything; there were a few points where I had to use the gravity gun and a paint bucket to slowly wear down some zombies until I could get to a table or something. Very smart, Resident Evil-style. Although I'm sure there are points in the game where you can empty your arsenal to your heart's content... right?

There's on short part of the game, if I remember correctly, where you can do that, but it's very uncommon when you can. I think they were trying to keep as far away from the "Rambo" thing that most FPS do... then again, it's about ONE man taking on the entire Combine army... I guess it was just for realism's sake I suppose.

Anways, since it won't work for people WITH the full game. Can someone tell me what levels they used for the demo then?

That's funny... Mine said about 700MB as well.

And you only have little less than 1374MB of free space left?

S1lent said:

Antways, since it won't work for people WITH the full game. Can someone tell me what levels they used for the demo then?

I read somewhere that they used some of the beginning levels and then later on takes you to a part of Ravenholm.

Jonathan said:

Harddrive Rapage

It may be because you Half-Life 2 preloaded, if you don't then that demo is fucking huge.