Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

The Vagary

As one or two probably saw in the other forum, I'm making some monsters from DOOM 3 in DOOM 2 using parts of diferent sprites. Well, now I'm making the Vagary, I'm close to making the far attack frame. As I don't have DOOM 3 I need some information. Here are my questions.

-Does it fire fireballs, or some kind of projectiles? (if so, what is the behavior of them, do they have splash damage,are they homing projectiles?
-When it moves objects, does it need to be close to them, or it moves them from far (what kind of objets that it moves, and what is the behavior of them when they are in air).
-Does it summon/spawn Trites?

I know that it's not that hard to kill, but how hard is it? Like the three masters in Hexen, like an Archvile? Who do you compare it with?

It fires no projectiles, it merelt moves any objects in the environment and flings them at you. There are always (you meet it twice) a couple of spiked balls, which look kinda organic which it throws. Generally they are just dragged and thrown at you by an invisible force. I think the objects need to be reasonably close but I can't judge well since you meet it in enclosed environments.

I have never seen it spawn trites or ticks, others claim to have seen one or both occur. I think the trites are spawned in the map, not by the Vagary.

I'd rate it at between Hell Knight and Baron of Hell difficulty to kill, in Doom terms.

If it doesn't take you so much time, can you post a screenshot of that spiked balls?

And are you saying that it's even easier than an Arachnotron, or a Mancubus? (in DOOM 2), I repeat because it really surprises me what easy it is.

What do you think that' be more representative to simulate this attack, a fire animation that make apear one of these spiked balls from the ground (all in the same sprites), a Batman DOOM/Action DOOM pick up and hurl, or ressurect an object that has 0 speed but do the Lost Soul attack when the player is on sight and then dies to be resurrected again, or may be bounce before that so it get closer to the Vagary.

I don't think the Vagary is easy at all - it's freaking tough to dodge its attack, since you don't know where the objects will come flying at you from.

The only effective way I've found of dodging thise damn rocks is to crouch at the right moment which I think is extremely difficult.

At range though and if you have cover, she's ok easy - about as difficult as an Arachnotron (but a wholly different story in close quarters if there's no cover, because she has a high pain tolerance).

What she does is that she has a melee attack where she rends at you with her claws and fangs.
At range she doesn't attack you directly, when she attacks, rocks and debris are suddenly pulled up from the ground all around you (almost always all around you) - they only hang in the air for a brief moment, then you hear a sharp "psychic sound" (dunno how to describe it) and all objects fly inwards towards you, thrown by a hidden force.
These objects are almost always thrown at you from all sides, so strafing does little to help you.

I don't know if this attack is possible to translate to Zdoom.

dsm said:

I don't know if this attack is possible to translate to Zdoom.

It would require LilWhiteMouse'esque godly skills to pull off.

Perhaps you could make it spawn lost souls modified into the shapes of bricks or other debry. Make it so that they charge at the player and explode on impact.

Well, it's for Edge. It will be placed in certain maps, it's not necessary that it fit in every level. Currently I have some ideas for it, but any suggestion will be apreciated.

Janderson said:

Perhaps you could make it spawn lost souls modified into the shapes of bricks or other debry.

Vagary Tetris?

The Vagary makes a "whoosh!" sound right before it makes the spiky rocks fly against you. From experience I get the impression that if you dodge when you heard that sound, mostly you'll not get hit.

It also has a charge attack that's easy to avoid by sidestepping with sprint. I'm not sure if it has any particularly vulnerable areas, but I try to hit it in the human-looking part as much as possible.

The Vagary makes a "whoosh!" sound right before it makes the spiky rocks fly against you. From experience I get the impression that if you dodge when you heard that sound, mostly you'll not get hit.

It also has a charge attack that's easy to avoid by sidestepping with sprint. I'm not sure if it has any particularly vulnerable areas, but I try to hit it in the human-looking part as much as possible.

I think LWM has made crazier stuff than this, and could probably pull it off.