Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoMarine

How to get 100% secret at Icon of Sin

Simple. Normally, it says, 0%, since there is none. But according to mikrobiiti.fi/games/cheats/action/doom_2/cheats at least that used to be, so anyway, according to them, before you defeat the "Icon", you need to "IDCLIP" and see the wall which has no use in map30 and walk through it..... from what I heard, it works only in the earlier versions....does anyone know this? Because spoilers in that site says that it transports you to map33.

Seems that the link doesn't work. Too old, I guess. Does map 33 exist?

And, before you slam me totally, when using cheat "idmus33" it gives the music, not the typical "impossible selection" like usually.

Doom2 has the capacity to load MAP33 and MAP34 when they're present in a .wad, I believe. There's no MAP33 or MAP34 in doom2.wad, though. It'd be fairly easy to check if this is true (I doubt it is, but I don't remember) - load MAP30 up in a .wad editor and look for sectors tagged secret.

But Adam, the secret in map30 is not tagged, that's why nobody knows about this. But I've tried IDCMAP33 and it crashes. But before it does, it gives the music, the same as in the intermission screens (like between 6 and 7 or 11 and 12 or at the end of 30)

I believe the reason it plays that music is because all of the "non level" music is still assigned a 2-digit number. Try it in Ultimate Doom; you'll get the intermission, story, and end game music if you try IDMUS51, 52, or 53...

But then again I could be wrong since it was so long ago when I first tried that (but I swear, when I did try it, the music did play!)

I've just verified AdamW's statement about map33 and map34. You can warp to them with idclev33 or idclev34, and play the maps normally (edit: using the Final Doom exe, at least). The game crashes upon exiting the maps (that includes exiting map33 when there is a map34 present). Note: I only tested this by adding pwads for map33 and map34. I didn't mess about with the iwad.

The stray bit of wall in map30 just appears to be an impassable piece of wall. It doesn't lead to map33, even when a map33 is present. This is in Doom2 version 1.9.

I think idmus33 is a different matter. There are more musics than there are maps, and they just assigned music numbers 33, 34 and 35 to the non-level music.

Yeah, that's why IDMUS33 plays the mission text music.

By the way, only the Final DOOM engine can play on Map33 or on Map34. The others (DOOM II or The Ultimate DOOM) can't, for some reason.

CacoMarine, how were you reading that Finnish site if it's too old and does not exist?

myk said:

By the way, only the Final DOOM engine can play on Map33 or on Map34. The others (DOOM II or The Ultimate DOOM) can't, for some reason.

The Doom2 version will play map33, but not map34. (Or maybe there's something weird - I could have sworn it worked once with map34, but not on later occasions.)

If I use -warp start-up dies with an error before getting into the game and drops to DOS, and if I use IDCLEV33 the DOS process freezes at a kind of horizontal "venetian blinds" effect.

Perhaps whatever inconsistency is triggered loading the level doesn't produce a terminal error on all systems, or under certain conditions.

myk wrote:

"CacoMarine, how were you reading that Finnish site if it's too old and does not exist?"

First of all, I should really learn how to quote :O Second of all, I wasn't reading that site, I got the site address and the information it contained from a reliable source to say the least.

CacoMarine said:

First of all, I should really learn how to quote :O

Click on "Quote", and then delete any stuff that isn't relevant.

The reason idmus33/34 work is that the music lumps played by Doom are stored in a list inside the game. Look here:

http://www.crowproductions.de/repos/prboom/branches/prboom_stable_2_2/prboom2/src/sounds.c

You can see that there is a long array where all the Doom2 music names are. Immediately following them is:

{ "read_m", 0 },
  { "dm2ttl", 0 },
  { "dm2int", 0 },
These are the ones for the title/intermission screens.

When you do idmus33 Doom uses 33 as a place to look in the array. So it just looks at the next entry, which happens to be the intermission screen music.

It probably crashes when you exit the level because there isnt a CWILV graphic for level 33/34. If you put one in it might work.

cacomarine: if it's not tagged secret, you wouldn't get 100% secrets for going into it. pretty logical.

fraggle said:

It probably crashes when you exit the level because there isnt a CWILV graphic for level 33/34. If you put one in it might work.

Very unlikely that it would work, because the CWILV patches are stored in a lookup array and I believe it only has 32 slots rather than 34. Something else to be concerned about are the automap names. I successfully loaded a MAP33 in DOOM II once, and the automap name was just random garbage, since it also indexes past the end of the map names array for DOOM II.

I'm very glad you fixed all of that kind of stuff in SMMU, btw. Being able to deal with arbitrary maps and always have valid default values for their sky texture, name, music, etc. has proven very useful.

On a slightly different topic, the availability of maps 33 and 34 in DOOM II is kind of like how there's an extra episode available in Ultimate DOOM. You could make maps for E5, which would use E4's music, but had the AASTINKY texture for their sky and said NEW LEVEL in the automap. Exiting those levels would shut down the game with missing lump errors in the intermission code, though. This makes me wonder if id had originally planned to add 2 new episodes in Ultimate DOOM instead of only one.

Quasar said:

Very unlikely that it would work, because the CWILV patches are stored in a lookup array and I believe it only has 32 slots rather than 34.

That's new to me.

The original Linux source says:

for (i=0 ; i<NUMCMAPS ; i++)
	{								
	    sprintf(name, "CWILV%2.2d", i);
	    lnames[i] = W_CacheLumpName(name, PU_STATIC);
	}					
    }
    else
    {
	lnames = (patch_t **) Z_Malloc(sizeof(patch_t*) * NUMMAPS,
				       PU_STATIC, 0);
	for (i=0 ; i<NUMMAPS ; i++)
	{
	    sprintf(name, "WILV%d%d", wbs->epsd, i);
	    lnames[i] = W_CacheLumpName(name, PU_STATIC);
	}

Graf Zahl said:

That's new to me.

The original Linux source says:

You left out the most important part:

if(gamemode == commercial)
   {
      NUMCMAPS = 32;
That's definitely not enough room to index 34 maps. Maybe the patches aren't stored in the array, but this is what I was thinking of (I haven't altered or worked with the DOOM intermission code much at all, so I don't have it memorized by any means). Anyways, my primary point is that maps beyond 32 don't completely work properly (and may not work the same every time) because DOOM's various static and dynamic lookup tables and data arrays don't allocate enough space for them.

Quasar said:

Very unlikely that it would work, because the CWILV patches are stored in a lookup array and I believe it only has 32 slots rather than 34.

Ah ok, I was looking at the Prboom source and there didnt seem to be one, I guess that must be something the Boom team changed though. It might still work if you try it in *Boom