Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RjY

Demos forum self indulgence thread for 2004-12-24

Speed Villa (spdvilla.wad)

This is sort of a speedmap I made during an impromptu session last night. The theme was to make a Roman villa with a courtyard in the middle and you start outside of it.

Being a speedmap it looks a bit crap and bare and whatever and - even in spite of my changing the rules and granting a 20 minute extension - I didn't put in everything I wanted. But there you go. You can take these things too far and end up spending years on the same map, it's stupid.

Afterwards I found it pretty fun to play and made some demos. Isn't it odd how you can be bothered with your own crappy maps but would dismiss them if made by somebody else? Anyway

• spdv0110.lmp - uv max 1:10
  • spdv0019.lmp - uv speed 0:19
  • spdvp025.lmp - uv pacifist 0:25
  • spdvn035.lmp - nm speed 0:35
are all included in the zip.

Merry Christmas everybody!

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/spdv_op.zip

Short, action map always equals fun.
Perhaps I should post this in the booty thread. :)
couldn't get the wallrun consistently, especially 'up' to the red key.
thanks! Grazza can do the speed:17 and the nightmare:19 :)
edit: forgot to mention that I used prboom2.02 to record these (they playback with prboom224 of course) because prboom224 doesn't allow 'q' and has that damn file-protection check on it.

Opulent said:

Grazza can do the speed:17 and the nightmare:19 :)

OK, as you wish. The UV Speed is also Pacifist.

A nice little break from reviewing. I'm glad you didn't set the target times a second or two lower though. :)

As for the wallrun, how easy/likely are north->south wallruns meant to be, compared to south->north? I could only get it in one direction (with Doom2.exe compatibility).

Opulent said:

using HMP not UV.

Heh, I was about to mention that. At first, I thought you must have used some incredibly clever route idea that meant the revenants all got killed very quickly by infighting or something. :p

bollocks, if i hadnt elected to spend xmas day at a mates (my lady is with her family miles away) i'd have had a go myself! wander if he'll notice if i stick doom on his pc, oh, winxp. darnit!

Grazza said:
Anyone for [...] Reality?

You rang? ;-) UV Reality in 0:17. doom2.exe format. Took quite a few tries to get 0:17; kept getting 0:18's.

Fun map! I'll do a reality max as well. Give me a few minutes (or hours, depends on how tough it turns out to be, heh).

EDIT: Yeah! Reality Max in 1:04. First exit, so expect nothing spectacular.

In his text-file Kristian Ronge said:

Note that Grazza did 0:17 *without* the wall running!

Just a little correction: I did use the wallrun, but it's quite a short one - I reach the wall a bit further along, since the imps let me through on the short side. The wallrun doesn't last long, but the speed boost is useful.

Yes, I noticed my error as well. I got confused... It has already been changed in the .txt. Thanks for pointing it out, though! :-)

Side note: Do you think a time below 0:17 is possible without the wall run? The best I could manage without it was 0:18, and taking the COMPET-N factor (heh) into consideration, this would place the optimal time without the wall run well below 0:17. EDIT: I'm talking without strafe50 of course.

0:17.60 Pacifist only took me a few minutes. The start is slow (0.40s of inactivity, and it's not until 0.57s that I fire the pistol to wake the imp that opens the door for me), the run across the central room is poor, and I don't use much strafe-50. So I'm sure the compet-n time would be a long way below that. By exactly how many seconds, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess.

As for what the optimal time without strafe-50 or a wallrun would be, I don't know - it seems like an odd question, as the wallrun back from the red key occurs quite naturally in this run, and is an ideal way to get past the imps.

Grazza said:
As for what the optimal time without strafe-50 or a wallrun would be, I don't know - it seems like an odd question, as the wallrun back from the red key occurs quite naturally in this run, and is an ideal way to get past the imps.

Yeah, it may seem odd. The reason I asked is I can't get the trick to work consistently and wanted to know how much time the wall run saves. (To estimate chances of making a such-or-such time without it)

I'd guesstimate that strafe-50 and wallrunning in the 0:17 demo each save about a quarter of a second.

There are 65 strafe-50 gametics, and the wallrun lasts a little under a second.

BTW, which version of PrBoom 2.2.4 are you using? I ask because the official 2.2.4 knocks GF50 gametics down to GF49 if you use -complevel 0. Budko's modified version corrects this (just make sure the TAS stuff is turned off if you use it!).

Grazza said:
BTW, which version of PrBoom 2.2.4 are you using?

Budko's, simply because of the GF50/GB50 tics, as you mentioned. And yeah, of course it's important to remember to switch off those extra "features" off (especially since I use it from time to time for TAS demos...).

I said:
And yeah, of course it's important to remember to switch off those extra "features" off (especially since I use it from time to time for TAS demos...).

Oh man...

After I wrote this, I got to thinking about all the regular demos I've recorded with Andrey's PrBoom 2.2.4. And I remembered I'd just finished a TAS run prior to recording the demos for CC2 map 10. I checked those demos with LMPC and... to my horror I found that I had probably forgotten to turn the "permanent strafe-50" off! :-(

Now, I have always made the utmost effort to make a clear distinction between TAS and non-TAS demos, and since this basically counts as a strafe-50 mousedriver it is *completely* unacceptable to consider my old CC2 map 10 demos as non-cheated demos. They are cheated. There, I said it. They weren't deliberately made that way, but my negligence isn't meant as a defence, merely as an explanation.

I immediately recorded a new set of demos WITHOUT ANY DAMN CHEATS! They can be found here (I'll make a post in the CC2 thread also of course).

I apologize deeply and humbly for this horrific oversight. If you have the old CC2 map 10 demos, throw them away. The new ones are quicker, anyway.

good to see your honesty.
as long as people know, there is certainly no harm done.
kind of you to record new demos too :)
I think most players use seperate directories for zdoom/prboom/prboom-tas/etc... that helps to keep this from happening.
Happy Holidays!

Opulent said:
good to see your honesty.
as long as people know, there is certainly no harm done.

Thanks, man, that's good to hear. Imagine my embarrasment if someone else had noticed it before I did, and thought I did it on purpose... :-/

kind of you to record new demos too :)

It seemed the least I could do. It's not like the old ones were good, anyway. These new ones aren't much better, either. :-)

Happy Holidays!

Thank you, I wish you and your family the same. As happy as is possible, anyway, in light of recent world events (the earthquakes and what not) which decimates this "controversy" into a drop in the ocean...