Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

9.0 earthquake

Yada yada epicenter in the ocean; yada yada floods Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia, Bangladesh; villages swept away; world's most powerful quake in 40 years

Scuba Steve said:

Did you just yadda yadda an earthquake that killed 8000 people?

Latest figure is 11,300.

EDIT: now 12,300 :(.

EDIT 2: currently 16,400. This just gets worse and worse.

I think it's pretty fucked that the American news stations are hardly covering this. I mean, the current death tolls are probably just a fraction of what the final tally will be, and there were tons of Westerners vacationing in that area for the holidays.

Danarchy said:

there were tons of Westerners vacationing in that area for the holidays.

Watch out, God might be a muslim extremist! :P

Heh, the body count of "terrorist" attacks are ridiculous compared to such a catastrophe. And monitoring the citizens won't help against that.

Linguica said:

i dunno pretty much any news site you mong

Some of us are just a tad too busy to do so. ;)

I'm sorry, I just can't feel remorse for the death of one man when there are millions...

Oh wait.

And let's not forget about that earthquake, one year ago today I believe, that was 10 times as bad as the 9/11 attacks.

The Canadian news stations are doing their job; about half of the news is the earthquake.

boris said:

Heh, the body count of "terrorist" attacks are ridiculous compared to such a catastrophe. And monitoring the citizens won't help against that.

That won't stop them using it as an excuse to do so however.

Just a few days ago there was an earthquake 800km's south of New Zealand measuring 8.5 and there have been steady after-shocks since. They are probably related somehow.

Ralphis said:

what

Google News for "earthquake rotation" or something similar and you'll get a few hits. Looks cranky to me, so I'll wait for reports from reputable sources.

Of course, there is no question that an event like this "disrupts" Earth's rotation. Taking a walk does. The question is whether there is a disruption which could even be measurable.

In either case, BlackFish's conclusion that "Earth now has a messed up rotation" from the premise that the rotation may have been "disrupted" is somewhat amusing.

AndrewB said:

The Canadian news stations are doing their job; about half of the news is the earthquake.

Same here. Anything else would be spectacular; this is one of the worst natural disasters in history.

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

-Joseph Stalin

Sadly that rings true here.

Psyonisis said:

On CNN today they had a 30 minute discussion on the effect the earthquake will have on the American economy.

gah

FOX news is going on about whether or not the US itself is at risk for and probably isn't prepared for the great tsunami jihad.

I love fear mongering...and bill o'reilly

This isn't a new fear. There has been previous speculation that a huge landslide could occur on the western side of La Palma (Canary Islands) causing a "mega-tsunami" to cross the Atlantic.

link

Grazza said:

This isn't a new fear. There has been previous speculation that a huge landslide could occur on the western side of La Palma (Canary Islands) causing a "mega-tsunami" to cross the Atlantic.

link

Remind me not to be in Bristol that day...

The population of Ireland will drown before they get to me. BWAHAHAH, etc.

Spike said:

The population of Ireland will drown before they get to me. BWAHAHAH, etc.

Yes!!!
No more Northern Ireland terrorism :-P