Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

9.0 earthquake

Actually, a direct line from La Palma to Liverpool goes through Wales, not Ireland, and the wave would have a route into the Irish Sea.

Some interesting (albeit somewhat technical) stuff about it here. A snippet:

Mader's model of a La Palma slide estimates that the east coast of the U.S. and the Caribbean would receive tsunami waves of less than 3 meters and the European and African coasts would receive waves less than 10 meters high. However, this represents the upper limit. Full Navier-Stokes modeling brings the maximum expected tsunami wave amplitude off the U.S. east coast to about one meter.

last i heard the death toll was 52000. now i can assue you it will be much higher in the end. not only from the first moment but from desease and starvation.

there is a lesson in this though. countries need to consider population control and building codes. when you have a tiny island with 60,000 people living there any natural disaster is going to bring a high death toll. then add in poor constrution and human error/stupidity.

granted those are not easy things to do or over come. many times people just through up shacks anywhere and hope for the best. however that doesn't stop them from planning among them selves.

yes it does anger me to see news paying attention to dead football stars and singers over 52,000+ dead.
not saying the should ignore pop-culture icons, just saying that there are more important things going on.

Sephiroth said:

last i heard the death toll was 52000.

I was watching TV a few minutes ago and it says it's now more than 80 000 deads and 30 000 missings.

My original prediction of 100,000 seems to be dead on. Yikes. I think this is going to be the biggest death toll related to an earthquake, or at least the biggest relating to tsunamis.

Dunno where to check that, I seem to have misplaced both my Books of World Records.

Ah, nevermind then. Heh, you'd think that with all the massive earthquakes and floods and famines and civil wars that China has gone through in the past century and a half that they wouldn't still have one and a half billion people living there.

I was listening to the radio 'with one ear' this morning and they said the most powerful recorded earthquake (in 1553 or so) killed around 800000 people.

Too lazy now to verify that.

That article said:
NOTE: Some sources list an earthquake that killed 300,00 people in Calcutta, India, on October 11, 1737.
Recent studies indicate that these casualties were most likely due to a cyclone, not an earthquake.

WTF? How does that work? Was no one looking at the time or something?

Swedish television is covering this about eight hours a day now.

That's because 3500 Swedes are missing, of course.

Actually, it was a side-effect of Godzilla's awakening.

myk said:

Actually, it was a side-effect of Godzilla's awakening.

No, Cthulhu. Cthulhu fhtagn.

spank said:

Watch out, God might be a muslim extremist! :P

In France we'd say: « Dieu ne respecte pas la trêve des confiseurs. » Or in english "God does not respect confectioners' respite."