Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rtz

jDoom 1.8.4

That was quite possibly the quietest release made from the site I've ever known. It's not even in the news or anything.

I would've missed it if it wasn't for the fact I zealously follow the JDRP.

Captain Red said:

Quick question, where are you ment to put GLBSP.exe in jdoom so it runs automatically when you whant to run kickstart?

Since the last few versions, GLBSP has been built into Dday, so the external GLBSP.exe is no longer needed.

However Kickstart has not been updated (I would guess this is because of the new launcher in the works) and still, by default, looks for GLBSP.exe.

You can disable Kickstart's looking for GLBSP.exe under the misc tab.

It was a quiet release as 1.8.5 will be released real soon with some new features like shiny surfaces.

I wish that they'd forget graphics for a minute and work on adding features from zdoom. That'd rule.
And what does that glbsp thing do anyways?

It builds GL nodes, which are necessary to run the levels with OpenGL graphics. So it's pretty good to have around. :P

And yes, I as well have fantasized about all the major source ports (ZDoom, JDoom, EDGE, Eternity, Risen3D, etc.) merging into one formidable force. Alas.....

Jacknife said:

I wish that they'd forget graphics for a minute and work on adding features from zdoom. That'd rule.
And what does that glbsp thing do anyways?

Eh wait a minute. Wouldnt the final product of that be Zdoom with Gorgeous Graphics(TM)?

Relica Religia said:

And yes, I as well have fantasized about all the major source ports (ZDoom, JDoom, EDGE, Eternity, Risen3D, etc.) merging into one formidable force. Alas.....

Fantasized being the operative term here! As great as it would be, I think it's impossible. The various ports are just too different.

Relica Religia said:

That's MY fantasy! Get your own!

The problem with merging all the ports would be that there would no longer be a clear and specific direction for "the port" to take. As it is ZDooM is concentrating more on features and JDooM on graphics, for example. If that fantasy ever became reality I don't see how the authors could manage a unified effort without killing each other. But we can still dream about a monster port with the graphics of JDooM and features of ZDooM ad other ports....