Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M4V3R1CK

Surround Sound (SPDIF)

Hi everyone, i have a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard with integrated realtek 8 channel audio. I currently have the SPDIF output connected to a Marantz dolby digital amplifier. My problem is that the signal comming from the spdif output to the amp is only getting a ProLogic signal instead of Dolby Digital. I know digital works because it works with dvd's. It does not work for games like Doom 3 or Half Life 2. My current driver is v.3.67 and 5.10.0.5760 in the Sound Effect Manager (all newest drivers). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. Yes, the surround sound option IS enabled in the game.

I dont get correct surround sound with SPDIF either. So far the only thing I've been able to do is use 6 channel direct (the "normal" 3 cable setup, not RCA). Im not surpriseed either, as dolby digital is a proprietary encoding (I think) and would cost money to license.

Thanks for the reply. So you mean something has to have a discreet "Dolby Digital" output for the amp to see it as digital and that the reason doom and half life 2 dont have it is because they would have to pay more for it? Makes sense. I do have 6 channel input on my amp so should i use a 3.5mm to L/R RCA converter in each output to the proper connections on the amp to make it work?
Thank you.

Hooked up today with 6ch input on the amp. Doom works immaculately. Half Life 2 on the other hand, only has center and sub right now. gotta work out that bug now. Thanks for your help!