Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tomb Spyder

Machine reboots during Doom 3 and other games

Basically, what happens is that every 5-10 minutes that I'm playing a game, a blue screen flashes up for a second and then my machine reboots. This problem has occurred on Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War, and every time it reboots, the Windows error report suggests that the problem is with my video card (Radeon 9800 SE) or with the drivers. I know that my drivers aren't out of date (they're only a month old) so my only guess is that there is a fault with the video card. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Or should I just get a different video card?

It has nothing to do with video, it's actually a memory problem. Make sure your RAM is at the right speed and that you are not overclocking.

In fact, try setting your ram at a slower speed in BIOS and see if the blue screen appears. I'm betting it won't.

Its more likely an Ram issue. If the above comment didn't fix the problem, then I suggest swapping your current ram with another one (if you do happen to have one lying around).

Also are you overclocking your cpu as well?

I've got the same problem with Windows but not with Linux.
Quake 2 and other modern games crash randomly but Doom 2 works fine under Windows. With Linux (Knoppix) all works well.
I just changed my motherboard.

Seems it was a video problem. I swapped my card for a GeForce FX 5500, and so far, all of my games have been working fine. Thanks anyway, though.