Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

some DB-related issues

For a long time, I had a Radeon 7000 video card installed in my PC, which ran Doom Builder's 3D mode without hitch, it was also fully capable of running any of DVII.wad's map with 2,000+ lumps, which consists of about 600 flats and 1700 patches. Basically, Doom Builder's 3D mode held up DVII.wad's map, despite the large resources accompanying those maps.

Now, I have a Radeon 9800 Pro video card installed in my PC, which crashed upon going into 3D mode of any DVII.wad map, and gave me the following error message:

I have the latest version of DirectX and Direct3D installed, and still the message above displayed after trying to run 3D mode of DVII.wad, every time. I didn't understand the "section 5" part though.

Some maps were smaller than 1000 sidedefs and used less than 10 textures and flats; I think map size isn't an issue here.

I experimented with AV and Vrack3 in 3D mode, both of which displayed properly in 3D mode.

I experimented with DVII.wad by removing all lump resources save the map data. It was able to display all maps in 3D mode.

I suspect the large lump count and size being the source of the 3D mode problem, but strange considering that Radeon 7000 was able to handle similar versions of DVII.wad in 3D mode.

Problem solved!

Opened up DVII.wad in DB, went to configuration, clicked the "Editing" tab, and unchecked the "Precache resources when loading map" box. All maps are able to render in 3D mode now.

I still don't understand why my new video card wasn't able to handle Doom Builder's 3D mode with precaching of resources, oh well.

Fine, here is the story of how I came up with CodeImpse. :P

One day that happened to be today, I was talking with some friends in #masterofdeath(yes, I have a channel), and it just popped in there. That was sometime this afternoon I beleive, after I had just reformatted my HD. It just kinda popped in there, and I still can't stop laughing about it. As a matter of fact...

* CodeImp has joined #NOTZDoomRelated
<MasterOFDeath> CodeImpse
* CodeImp has quit IRC (Quit: )

That is straight from my log. :D

Funny indeed, but "CodeImpse" is quite old already. I didnt even see you say that in #notzdoomrelated, because I rebooted for some windows updates at that moment. If I'd seen it, I would have probably laughed all day, heh.

Back on topic; It may not have anything to do with that option. When you install a new videocard/videodriver, the Video Driver option in the 3D Mode tab will no longer be valid. The reason why you gotten that message is probably because it just had no valid Video Driver configured. Maybe all you had to do is set that option again. (You can ignore the "at section 5" part, I once put that in there for testing, appearently forgotten to take it out, heh)

CodeImp said:

Funny indeed, but "CodeImpse" is quite old already. I didnt even see you say that in #notzdoomrelated, because I rebooted for some windows updates at that moment. If I'd seen it, I would have probably laughed all day, heh

I called you CodeImpe once...