Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitguolf

DooM Marine in Hexen

Can be possible to play Hexen with DooM weapons? To me, could be a dream...

I love DooM weapons.... but i love Hexen maps, puzzles and monsters.... and mix of Ancient and Tech....

Could be feasible? I mean, you coould select Mage, Cleric, Warrior, Marine?

Not without a source hack, no. I'll admit it would be nice to have a more fun way to play Hexen (because in my opinion, Hexen's weapons don't stand up very well to the ultra-powerful enemies that are thrown at you), and I wish it were easier to accomplish.

You can't actually select a marine class without using ZDoom. I'm almost certain it can be done without changing the source, but then again I'm not 100% sure. You can do a really simple Doom weapons hack like this:

KEYCONF lump for ZDoom wad

weaponsection doomhexen

setslot 1 Fists Chainsaw
setslot 2 Pistol
setslot 3 shotgun supershotgun
setslot 4 chaingun
setslot 5 rocketlauncher
setslot 6 plasmarifle
setslot 7 bfg9000
Pop that in a KEYCONF lump and stick the KEYCONF in your wad. Then after that, all you need to do is take the DooM weapons resources and put them in a HEXEN compatible wad, and then you'll be able to play as any class with DooM weapons. :)

Also, WildWeasel, you'd actually have a harder time fighting with DooM weapons; one punch from the fighter is about as powerful as a 100% accurate shotgun blast.

WildWeasel said:

(because in my opinion, Hexen's weapons don't stand up very well to the ultra-powerful enemies that are thrown at you), and I wish it were easier to accomplish.

Heh, you must be talking about just about every other class than the Fighter, because the Fighter's weapons struck me as quite adequate for the job - Hell, the fists are often adequate for taking out scores of melee enemies.

(I know it was your own opinion, you can quit bitching now :-P).

There's nothing wrong with the cleric's or mage's weapons.

Anyway, Doom and Hexen work off different palettes, so you'd have to extract all the Doom sprites, convert them to the Hexen palette with some photo editing tool, and wad them up. Then there's the problem that Hexen uses commonly shared mana instead of specialized ammo for all its weapons. You'd have to manually place Doom ammo in all those Hexen maps. It'd be one pain in the ass. Also, the status bar would need to be changed to reflect ammo instead of mana.

The easiest thing to do would be use a dehacked script to change the Hexen weapon sprites with Doom weapon sprites, change the behavior of the weapon. Although you would still have to use mana.

There's no need to convert the pallete:

1. Export them to BMP using XWE then open a new WAD

2. Open a new WAD

3. Set the palette to HeXen's one (If you havn't set it up already: If not just extract the palette to the /PALETTES directory in your XWE folder as "Hexen.act")

4. Import the graphics into the new WAD. XWE handle the palette conversion automatically.

I think there might be a weapons mod for Hexen that already has Doom weapons in Hexen. Check the archives under "combo"

The only Hexen mods that exist thus far are "Doom Shotgun in Hexen" (which is a DOS executable patch) and Cutmanmike's weapons mod (that only changes the graphics and sounds of the default weapons).

Caco-Puff said:

[Keyboard image about turning off capslock]

Oh come on, it was only *one* little sentence. It's not tough to read one all-capped sentence.

Save that image for when somebody writes an entire paragraph consisting with all-caps.