Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

11 Years of Doom?!

Enjay said:

I was also very pleased to see LilWhiteMouse's "Chosen" getting a mention. That remains a stunning piece of work.

And Mouse's only Doom release to date. Her latest project looks fantastic though (The name escapes me.)

I like these award thingies if for no other reason than it brings to our attention some really good works that we may have passed over.

Graf Zahl said:

...and how many did not vote for DRE as Worst WAD of the year? :D

I didn't bother holding a vote. DRE was just determined, defacto, to be the worst. heh.

Linguica said:

Well as the de facto king of Doomworld I had previously decreed Action Doom to be the best WAD of the year, so there.

Hail to the King Baby.

The compiled list of truly good Wads this year was quite extensive and difficult to wade through. You can glance over the preliminary text file detailing some of the original categories and selections.

Also, I wrote my own review of Action Doom because, nobody else would. If I wanted to get this thing done, I was going to have to do everything myeself (Except the sweet intro graphic by Manc and Cyb's help uploading it), still I tried to be as objective as possilble, and I honestly think that if you hadn't known I wrote the article you would have never known.

Thanks for considering Decade worthy of a mention. Congrats to FooFoo for getting mapper of the year, I guess I'd better get off my arse and actually download one of his wads now :)

Scuba Steve said:

The compiled list of truly good Wads this year was quite extensive and difficult to wade through. You can glance over the preliminary text file detailing some of the original categories and selections.

/looks at txt file,
/looks at vanilla wads,
/weeps quietly.

Yeah I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of vanilla wads listed. Hell, 9 out of 14 of the winners are for ZDoom.

Yes, it would have been nice to acknowledge many of the wads in the other categories, since they become overshadowed by such larger projects that take advantage of more advanced new features. Unfortunately going with the top 10 format, many good vanilla levels and episodes get knocked down because, frankly, they're not really better than some the other projects listed. Also, the fact that Hell revealed 2 is on the list is proof that the choices aren't my personal opinion :P

Schneelocke said:

As for the panel of "8 or 9 people", come on. Until you tell us who voted, what they voted for and how they were selected, that's worthless, and for the most part, it sounds like an attempt at retroactive justification.

It's the truth :(

I really enjoyed the list. I may not agree with all of them, but it's not hard to see why those top ten were chosen. All of them are truly top ten material.

I also think a little recognition should be paid to Vile Flesh ;)

Okay, I would first off like to say that ten million tree sprites and some textures does not create a good map. I still can't play Grove properly even after getting the "alternate" version... and even if I could, I'd probably get frustrated rather quickly (I'm not one for switch puzzles that only the author can easily identify). Sorry FooFoo, but I'm not convinced. Maybe I missed the others, but what are FooFoo's other works?

Now as for DRE... I've said it before and I'll say it again: the folly of DRE was that Rampage only asked for testers that were close to the project (thus the claim that "everyone else liked it"). It was an error in judgement on Rampage's part... and although some still have hard feelings about it, it's a good lesson to learn from. Thus, I brought my megawad here as well (now if only my beta-testers would actually REPLY! >_< ).

Can't really say much about the other maps... except I agree that there should be a CTF category and that more vanilla wads should be included, indeed.

CacoCaddy said:

Wow, Doom Rampage got owned.

literally speaking, who would WANT to own it?

Cyb said:

vanilla maps are boring! get with the times you old foagies!

Ignore the zDoomworld mafia, vanilla maps are kewl :)

netnomad312 said:

Okay, I would first off like to say that ten million tree sprites and some textures does not create a good map.

Yes it does! Scuba Steve says so!

What the hell. Grove is awesome. Maybe you should get a better PC Netnomad. If you could actually play it maybe you'd like the wad.

sargebaldy said:

Yeah I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of vanilla wads listed. Hell, 9 out of 14 of the winners are for ZDoom.

It is just a good representation of where all the good mappers are going.

And don't forget: The big loser is also a ZDoom WAD!

Well any failing wad has to do with the author and not the engine. It's obvious that the author was nuts making something like that...

Anyways, good list Scuba, I may disagree with a few of those awards, but that's just because I have an odd taste in maps.

Graf Zahl said:

It is just a good representation of where all the good mappers are going.

And don't forget: The big loser is also a ZDoom WAD!

So everyone like maps for Zdoom? :)

Too bad there wasn't any "best tutorial" category or stuff like that ;)

Lutrov71 said:

I don't think B.P.R.D should have won mapper of the year. But that's just my opinion.
I think Tormentor did a better job than him.

Rename it to "best upcomer this year" and it fits.

Nmn said:

So everyone like maps for Zdoom? :)

Too bad there wasn't any "best tutorial" category or stuff like that ;)

Don't be sure to have won that, if there would have been something like that :) Don'T forget my 21/2D Detailing stuff :)

Lutrov71 said:

What the hell. Grove is awesome. Maybe you should get a better PC Netnomad. If you could actually play it maybe you'd like the wad.

Well, see, I could PLAY it, but it wasn't fast enough that I could, say, dodge attacks. So I was forced to use the cheats.

My problem with Grove is that there's not enough actual mapping involved. I mean, statistically there are almost as many things as there are linedefs (in the original version, anyway)... and half the linedefs seem to be creating the "path" on the "map." Take out the trees and what are you left with? Not too much. I'm not saying Grove isn't an interesting concept, nor that it doesn't have its good points (the "treasure map" was actually an interesting idea). But my point is that an award called single map of the year should be awarded to a level with more... I dunno, mapping? (IMO)

Scuba Steve said:
preliminary text file

Hmmm, I thought "Simply Phobos" (Paul Corfiatis, Kristian Aro http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12868) might have been included for consideration in the Episode category but I'm really glad "Phobos Revisited" got the recognition I feel it deserved.

As for most original, I personally would have gone for Russell's "Romero's Death Skittles" with honorable mention for the various Zdoom scripted mini-games (ztetris etc). Grove was interesting but, ultimately, the gameplay wasn't to my taste and when push came to shove it was still running around in a level flicking switches to progress and killing monsters with weapons. "Romero Death Skittles" is an entirely different experience and effectively a new game.

I still think the awards are a good job well done though.

Yeah, that was a great invention by Russel. Even if it takes a long time to do a full round. It is still the most creative thing I've seen for a very long time.

oh my god :) 8bit DM won...

I want to thank you for this honnor. I was very astonished when I saw my map there... realy.

But, I need to finish the fixed version... yes it has 2 bugs in the current one... This wad was an experiment at first. I didn't expect that people would like it.

Thanx to all testers and the guys who did the music too.

UDM3 is a great DM map set too, i say contratulation to those mappers.

Congratulation to teams who worked on the great SP1 maps done this years, especialy Action Doom wich remembered me alot my favorite video-game serie, Contra. Good Job Scuba Steve, this wad is art.

About Dwango5 and OmgMaps, sorry for Toke -_^, but it's just sad that people plays non quality maps... There're a lot of better DM wad done now, I just dont understand. Maybe the gameplay is better than anyother map done until now...

Great article.

Scuba Steve said:

The awards mean squat anyways, and the real winners are we, the community, for being gifted with this many great works this past year. Hopefully 2005 will be as good.

Damn right. How many other 11 year old games still have thriving communities releasing so much content? Doom is special.