Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

What got you into Doom editing?

I'm not quite sure wether there has been a thread like this before, but this is just something that popped into my mind a few minutes ago. Surely it can't be any worse than the slew of "What's your favorite weapon" or "What's your favorite monster" threads.

Here's a question (or two) for you mappers: What got you into Doom mapping/editing? Also, what is your favorite part about mapping for Doom?

Personally, the whole concept of being able to make and play my own custom levels for my favorite game seemed really awesome.

My favorite part when it comes to Doom mapping is playing the creations that I've made. Another thing that I really like about my whole experience with mapping is the knoledge I have gained from it.

Meh, Bored.

Summer(?) 1996, friend of mine traded me his 3.5" floppy version of Ultimate Doom for some of my crappy magic cards. I played through that for ages, then eventually learned how to play with The Lost Episodes of Doom Expansion that came on disk 6.

I was computer illiterate at the time, my father owned a Macintosh LC II before nabbing a Dell Dimention XPS p90 from work. So anyway, long story short, I found deu 5.11 (IIRC) on the same disk, and managed to install that and run it. I messed around in it, opened up the doom maps, etc, nothing too exciting. Then I opened up the tutor.doc file and started following it, step by step.

Anyway, thats my life story. I hope you are all bored to tears.

A friend told me had found something called jDoom, which made him relive Doom again in a better way, and showed it to me. "Great", I though. Then accidently I came across ZDoom, and saw all the nifty features it supported. "Hmmm", I thought. "It could be fun to actually make a Doom level. I never got around that back in the day."

I've wanted to create games ever since I was a little kid. Back then me and my brother had a Nes. We loved all the games on it. Later I got my PSX, but because of money issues I couldn't get more games (than 2/3 per year). I was so depressed I used to play those games like a madman (like finished Resident Evil and Tomb Raider per 6/7 times :] ) I used to dream on making games-used to sketch out plans for maps more and more. Once I got my comp I realised I actually CAN stard editing. So I grabbed DB and PSP and started advancing in making games. Naturally, graphics and mappage skills are not everything that needs to be possesed to make new games, but I never liked coding. Music-I do play piano and have some knowledge on mus, but I'm too deep in graphics now. Besides, Lexus is what I have for mus and Grubber to do coding :) So we're like a one entity in 3 different people, sharing abilities to create a game-the Triumvirate-blahaha! >:)

Two years ago I re-discovered my DooM games while cleaning up some old PC stuff.

After I played through the IWADs again I went on the internet to see what else I could find on DooM. That's when I discovered that there were still some quite large DooM communities out there.

I also dicovered a wide variety of DooM editing tools floating around and after messing around with them for a while and learning their features I started building my first real wad.

I started in 1996, when a friend of mine gave me a copy of WADED. I did not know anything about editing, and because I was too lazy to read the tutorial, it took me six months from being able to move THINGS around, to full understanding of sectors, linedefs and all the fancy stuff that makes out a level. To make a long story short, I finally began to work on my Megawad, DTS-T , because I thought it was a cool idea to make 32 levels for Doom2, all by myself. (Back then, I did not know that it takes a lifetime to complete and DTS-T celebrates its fifth year of development these days.)
---
The most exciting thing about level design is to see your imagination grow more and more into (virtual) reality. The whole process, from a rough idea to the completed level is a very creative and fun thing to do. And I love the first time, a new level is played by my brother, who is my playtester.

Almost as soon as I started playing games I was intrigued by the possibility that I might be able to alter them to my own tastes and somehow see my own graphics in them.

I'd done a few little hacks for some games but Wolf 3D was the first one I did anything significant with (A total wall graphic replacement using screen grabs of walls from the D&D game "Eye of the Beholder" and a compulsory pr0n on the walls Wolf3D wall replacement - tsk tsk).

Then when Doom and a whole host of editing tools came along there was no holding me back.

Being able to use my sick fantasy and create levels like i want them to look,it took me years to learn how to build wads.
The very first wads i made where rubbish,they look pretty much as an wolf3d level but ten times worse,and with lighting at 255 in all rooms,missalighned textures al over the place,horrible monster placement,im glad thats all behind me now lol:)

I love the ability to mod games. It adds a ton of replay value, and its fun. Thats what got me into doom mapping, the customization of even being able to change graphics. I even eventually learned DEHACKED, then ZDoom, and now I even know a little bit of EDGE DDF.

I am actually pretty new to the editing scene, I started playing back in 96, and editing summer 2004. I had nothing to do, so I played my friend in a few deathmatches after he refused to face me in an IRC-rapoff. He then showed me a few levels he had been working on, and introduced me to a few editing tools, which I learned to use pretty quickly. That's about it =/

EDIT: If you guys know lerner, that's who it was.

I first started editing about three years ago. I got ahold of shareware Deepsea and started futzing around with it, seeing what made up a Doom/Doom2/Heretic level, and moving Things and stuff of that nature. Later on I figured out how to draw sectors and such stuff, actually really build maps, and I've been mapping ever sense.

I started editing around 1998. I say editing but actually it was just removing all THINGS from a level then re-populating it. The editor was WADED from my friend's D!Zone compilation.

I re-discovered editing only about a year ago and have been working on making something releasable since. I have released one map but I won't tell you what it is as it's hardly anything to shout about!

My favourite part of editing is watching someone play for the first time and sniggering as they fall into your well planned traps.

I was playing doom since it came out, and in early 1995 i picked up a version of edmap and made a map.. But the problem was, edmap crashed, ate the level, so i remade it from scratch in edmap then a bit of dck. It turned out to be map26 of hellcore, which in turn, was the reason i decided to start hellcore.. Man those were the days.

well i played doom at the release, where i was like 4 or 6 years old... Couldent kill anything though, i just sat in front of the computer... watching all the enemies (my dad was playing). 2 years later, my parents forbid my doom playing (i wasent old enough). then for about 3 years ago i found zdoom (v1.22), played it, then looked for a editor, ran into doombuilder, thought that one was good. I then downloaded Legacy... then i started making "real" levels, also started with 3d floors, then scripting. Got into scripting making a arena mod for Legacy. After that, i found zdoom v1.63. I learned zdoom scripts and editing. THE END

Hmm, I got into ripping not that far ago really. If I remember clearly, it all started when snarboo on doom armory needed an auto shotgun for his mod, I thought "hey, the auto shotgun from turok 1 is good!" so I did a very simple shitty prnt scrn from it. They didn't like it, so I took another one with much more lighting. So I did that, and he then doomified it, but it still wasn't that good, and thus he didn't use it. Then we tried a shotgun-only weapons mod, but that was cancelled shortly after. Then the resource forum on doom armory open, and I posted some simple, not good rips. Then I went crazy and posted 20 rips in 15 minutes, most of them very shitty. Then I posted the TAR-21, one of my best rips, but still crappy. Wild Weasel, snarboo, master of death, xaser, and scuba steve helped me make it really good. I now post really good rips, and the future? I guess we will just have to see!

Ever since I played Iceclimber in the 80ies I knew I wanted to make games of my own, sketched out stuff and as I didn't have any computer or any gamesystem of any kind I started to make regular dice and card games. Eventually I started Highschool (age 13-15 or something) and then we had Atari ST computers there this was sometime 1991-92 and me and my friend started making computer drawn animations, we were working on this like mad.
It was the only thing we did, except for playing Atari ST games like mad .

:p I got my own Atari ST and started working at home with my graphics. both me and my friend wanted to make games for the Atari though so he got STOS: the game creator (ST OS) it was basicly a 6 disk Dos like operative system to the Atari that had all the progs you'd need, graphics compiling and all that shit.

But he was not as ambitious as I was so he never learned to code as the books were in English and as I said, his ambitions was gone with that. Me on the other hand didn't have money to get STOS and he was really cheap so he would never let me borrow it or copy it.

I found a prog called Adventure creator that let you make text based adventure games, I made a little game with this but I never got quite into the programming part of it so I never got everything to work as I wanted it. Anyway, the reason for this was that my mother got a PC and I started messing with PC games instead, I
fooled around with Stunts and then I was told that there was a Doom editor available and I was in heaven.

I immideatly started workin on a level pack I first wanted to make a level pack with my friend but he wanted to work alone for whatever reason.

I got into modding when I saw Immoral Conduct for EDGE. I decided to look at EDGE's documentation and discovered that it wasn't all that hard to do, so I took up modding and made my first weapon mod, Weasel's Weapons.

Then I moved on to DeHackEd, thanks to Enjay's wonderful tutorial. I went from there to make Doomam.wad and its pseudo-sequel Doomos.wad.

Nowadays I'm doing better than ever with both ports, and I'm even working with Doom Builder (thanks to Dr. Sleep's wonderful tutorial).

I had friends tell me you could make your own levels for doom probably a year after its release. A year or two later I bought a book called Doom2 Totally unauthorized guide, it had an old ver of waded on a disket in the back. Eventually I found out about Deep and then things took off.

As soon as I learned you could make levels for Doom, which was when I started to download custom wad files in 96, I wanted to design something for it. I bought the Doom Gurus Editing Guide or whatever it was called and quickly installed Waded and tried to follow the directions as best I could. I was able to pick it up fairly quick for my age(10-12), but I didn't have the attention span or talent at the time. Later, I abandoned Doom editing altogether and I would simply scribble some ideas down whenever I felt like.

Then, years later, I discovered EDGE(and many other source ports) and the ease of DDF editing through Immoral Conduct. Just like Weasel, I knew right then that I had to make something for Doom. All those years of bubbling creativity came to the surface, even though I still lacked much of the talent I have now. I've created many failed or unfished weapon mods and projects, including a mod that was going to recreate the Doom bible as accurately as possible with newer gameplay elements tied in, and even a conversion of Powerslave's weapons into Doom. It wasn't until recently that I finished my first presentable Doom mod, which was Commandos! Doom for EDGE.

Now I'm working on a joint project between Xaser, Chronoteeth, and me called Opera-X. (Wild Weasel might be doing the sounds for it, too, but I'm not sure what his status is) It's a weapons mod for ZDoom as far as I can tell, and so far I have two weapons for the project done and I hope to make many more.

Well, I'd played Doom when I was like 6 (just liked to play through it on I'm Too Young To Die with cheats, dumb me) but I recently rediscovered it in like 2001/2. I found gamers.org and it's mirror of idgames, and saw cool custom maps. At the time I was still using Doom95 (because I had win98 and it actually kind of works on there), but I started using Zdoom when I found The Ultimate Doomer's 007: License to Spell Doom mod. Unfortunately I got some old version because I used an older site to get Zdoom, and it didn't work with the mod. However, I got the 1.23 demonstration wad and thought the effects were nifty. Found Deep and messed around with making maps, but I never made anything (Deep annoyed me to no end anyway). So, I rediscovered Doom AGAIN in like late 2003, and take a look at some cooler maps and things. I didn't really get into it until about September, when I found Doom Builder and stuff. For a while I tried to get into just playing, with Zdaemon, but that didn't last long, and I got back into editing. Now, I have finished one map(it's not too good, but better than some newbie maps I've seen) and am working on a Zdoom DM map(which I could release soon if I could get it to load up the strife mini-missile launcher).

Couple years ago, before any port was release, I've started editing doom for fun, with dck, making levels, and with dehacked, changing health of monsters, etc. I try to add new monsters too but I realize I could just replacing old ones so I stopped editing. When edge came out I was happy for all thing I can do, adding monsters, etc. But disapoint, edge doesnt support multiplayer, so I finally found jdoom, but because I cannot make a friendly monster I choose zdoom :)

Mostly just finding DeHacked one day from downloading a wad offline some 8 years ago and messing around with it. Then I found WinDEU, but never got into Level editing until about a year or two ago. I did mostly sprites and monster edits.

For me, even as a very small child (possibly before DOOM came out, even), I always wanted to create my own things. I've always been a creative nut, so when my friends gave me a warezed WadAuthor (don't worry, it was lost years ago when my hard drive melted, and they've since moved across the country), I messed around with the editor, just creating my own things. I tried making "1-room" levels, since I had no clue as to how to make a door (I was what, 9?), but it didn't work since I had no idea what "deaf" was.

I've quit DOOM for years, came back, quit again a few times, until I came back in November when I stumbled upon this site in my forgotten list of old URLs. DOOMBoy then contacted me and kept encouraging me to map, babying me through the basics.

Now I can apparently make respectable maps, all thanks to DOOMBoy.

I guess what I enjoy most about mapping is creating new levels and challenges for people to experience, and to contribute to the community as a whole.