Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

Huygens probe lands on Titan, sends back images

it'll be landing on the surface in the next few days I believe, so I'm sure there will be some neat panoramic type shots like the ones sent back from Mars.

I'll give a damn once they land on Europa and send a probe through the ice there.

Am I the only one who's not awe-inspired by the possible evidence of life/water/whatthefuckever on other planets/moons?

The real amazement is that NASA didn't actually fuck up this time. And all that shit about 'Oh, it could resemble an early Earth' is SWAG (scientific wild ass guess); they're blowing smoke out of their asses.

In all honesty the whole program is a useless waste of taxpayer's money. They haven't been useful since the Apollo program. Although a few good inventions came out of it.

Wow, we land a probe successfully, farther out than any other in history I might add, and it's not enough. "OMG, it's just a bunch of rocks! Take pictures of like...cooler stuff." You do realize that in some of the shots you can see actual clouds on a body in space other than Earth? Appearently this isn't impressive or news worthy because it's not about a Half-Life 2 expansion pack or something.

Just because something in science doesn't have a practical application, doesn't make it useless. I suppose we shouldn't do anything then if it doesn't like...fix our broken toaster.

billions of dollars and all we get is circa-2001 cellphone quality photos? COME ON!

Lord FlatHead said:

How disappointingly like Mars. Let's hope higher resolution shots are coming.

Disappointing? I don't agree. What were you expecting?

I doubt that there will be any higher resolution shots and there certainly wont be any panoramic shots (it was a fixed camera). But then the images are of secondary importance compared to the data collected.

Lord FlatHead said:

It's already landed on the surface, stupidhead.

oops, I guess I misread something or it was an old article :/

pretty awesome stuff, too bad it didn't land in an ocean or near one, but that river shot is quite cool

Wow this is sweet. I was afraid that Huygens would crash-land like that solar probe did a few months back, but I see it made it in one piece ^_^ Now if some green thing with antennae would just run across the picture.. nah just kidding :P This is cool and I hope there will be a lot more.

Heck, I agree, crappy image quality there. I know it can't be helped, though, and I'm just grateful that we got to see it. Wow, that is incredibly cool. Hope they do a colorized version, like with the Mars pictures, though that may be asking a bit much, all things considered. As it is, I'm hoping for more and better, but I realize the difficulty in obtaining what we already have.

Russell_P said:

Disappointing? I don't agree. What were you expecting?

I was referring to that one picture taken after landing: what seems like a fairly flat plain strewn with boulders, just like Mars. Don't think I'm not impressed by the fact that NASA managed to land there and send back information, but I half-expected a more exciting scene... diamond mountains maybe, or lakes of molten chocolate. Oh well, fair enough.

Janderson said:

So what was the point of sending it there?

Same point people have always investigated the unknown for.

Goat said:

billions of dollars and all we get is circa-2001 cellphone quality photos? COME ON!

its going billions of miles of space, what do you expect?